• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm looking for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
...some birdy bread recipes that contain NO cornmeal. I will be eternally grateful. :D

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I will try and get some for you or you could use whole wheat or rye flour in BF is recipe :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
here are a couple, I have not tried these, they came from "The Healthy Bird Cookbook"

Good Stuff Bread

3/4 c. soy flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/4 c. multi grain flour
1/3 cup instant dry milk
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 pinch salt
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1/2 c. chopped dates, dried cranberries, or raisins
1 c. plain yogurt or applesauce
1 egg, beaten with shells (washed)
1/4 c. olilve oil
1/4 c. molasses
1/4 c. honey
1/2 c. orange juice or apple juice

Pre heat oven to 350 F.

Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix together juice, honey, molasses, oil, egg and yougurt(applesauce). Stir in dates, cranberries or raisins and the nuts. Mix well and stir into the dry ingredients until blended. Spoon into a greased, floured loaf pan (9x5x3) and bake for 45-60 minutes or until it tests done with a toothpick.

This can also be made as small muffins instead of bread. When making muffins, bake for 20-30 minutes or until done.

Cereal Birdie Bread

2 boxes muffin mix
3/4 c. Grapenuts cereal or similar cereal
1/2 c. cheerios cereal
1 c. dry oatmeal
1 TBS palm nut oil
2 c. natural apple juice
2 eggs with shells (washed)
1 peeled apple, diced
1/4 light corn syrup
1/4 c. grated carrots
1 tbs. baking powder

Pre heat oven to 350 F.

Grind all the cereals. Mix all dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients, mixing well. If too dry, add a little more apple juice. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 40 -45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Can also be made as muffins - bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick is clean.

Bean, Lentil and Squash Spicy Loaf

2 tsp olive oil
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 1/2 c. mixed cooked beans
1/2 c. cooked lentils
2 eggs, well beaten, with shells (washed)
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1 c. of cooked squash, any variety
1/2 c. cheddar cheese (or any variety)
1 c. whole wheat bread crumbs
1-2 tsp chili peppers or dried, crushed chili peppers
1 pinch of salt and pepper

Pre heat oven to 350 F.

Saute the celery in the oil until tender. Cut the cooked squash into small pieces and add to the celery. Cook for a few more minutes on medium heat. Allow it to cool. Rinse and drain the beans and lentils. In a food processor, add the rinsed, cooked beans and lentils. Process until smooth. Add the cooled celery and squash to the beans and lentils. Process another minute or two until smooth once again.
Pour the bean/veggie mixture into a large bowl. Slowly add the eggs one at a time and mix well. Add the bread crumbs and the cheese. Mix well once again. Add the remaining ingredients, mixing well each time. Spoon this mixture into a greased loaf pan and bake 1 hour or until firm to the touch. It will still be moist inside. Wait approximately one hour and serve.

BamaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janet
This isn't birdie bread, but my Ekkies love this recipe from landofvos better than ANY other:

TUCKER-ROO BIRDIE COOKIES
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed banana
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon (to taste)
  • 3 cups oats
  • 1 baked sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds or walnuts
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
Combine all ingredients and stir thoroughly. Drop by small spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. (I used a SilPat sheet.)
Press until very flat with back of spoon.
Bake at 350 degrees for fifteen minutes. Cool on wire wrack. Oh and your house smells soooo good when you bake these.
This recipe makes a lot of cookies which can be sealed well and frozen for future use.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
This isn't birdie bread, but my Ekkies love this recipe from landofvos better than ANY other:

TUCKER-ROO BIRDIE COOKIES
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed banana
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon (to taste)
  • 3 cups oats
  • 1 baked sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds or walnuts
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
Combine all ingredients and stir thoroughly. Drop by small spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. (I used a SilPat sheet.)
Press until very flat with back of spoon.
Bake at 350 degrees for fifteen minutes. Cool on wire wrack. Oh and your house smells soooo good when you bake these.
This recipe makes a lot of cookies which can be sealed well and frozen for future use.
those sound yummy!! will have to give them a try - thanks!!

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
OOOOO I have a list of great recipies that Crystal as well as other people gave us. Birdie Cookbook
My fav. is the Ekkie diet:
Eclectus Recipe - submitted by M.C Birds
1 1/2 cups dry beans (mixed like for soup) cook off for 1 1/5 hours and rinse until clean.
1 cup of whole grain macaroni noodles, cooked off and not tender like for humans. Cook 1/2 of the time.
1 cup pellet
1 whole mango (minus the pit of course) chopped
1 whole pear (no seeds) chopped
1 cup of applesauce
1 bag of frozen mixed veggies.
1 whole plum (no pit)
1 cup of dried parrot diet ( like you use as supplement)
Mix all together and freeze in individual bags.

Fruits and Veggies on a Stick- submitted by: Kindra
I put one of the round wooden balls on first so my birds have something to hang on to. Take a kabob (bird safe) and stick fresh fruits (strawberry's banana's orange's, pineapple, ect) and Veggies (any they like). I alternate them. Spread a little bit of peanut butter on them and then roll in your birds favorite seed. Attach to the cage and watch as they eat the loving treat.

Birdie bean pasta- submitted by Peggy

I package mixed dry beans
8 oz. bag brown rice
1 cup tri-colored pasta
8 oz. frozen mixed vegetables

Wash and rinse beans and soak in pan of water overnight.
Drain and rinse again and cook for 1 hour on med. heat.
Stir frequently to make sure not to stick.
Drain
Cook Rice, Pasta and vegetables as directed on packages.
Drain
Mix all together this makes alot so it can be frozen in serving size portions.
Warm before serving.

It's a Cherrio-Tastic Treat!!!
Take a pipe cleaner and string cherrio's through it. Make a hook on 1 end to tie avoid falling off. After the cherrio's are strung make another hook at the top of the pipe cleaner to attach to the cage. Take peanut butter and smear just a little all over the cherrio's. Roll the entire string of cherrio's and peanut butter in your birds favorite seed mix and watch them destroy! Fun!

Sweet and Fruity Popcorn- submitted by: M.C Birds
8 cups of unsalted and unbuttered popcorn
1/2 cup of Flax Seed

1/2 cup of raisins
1/2 cup of your birds favorite seed mix or pellets
1 cup of dried mixed fruit (banana chips, orange, mango, pinapple, ect)
about a 1/2 cup of honey, maybe less.

Combine all ingredients, and as you are mixing, start drizzling in some honey. Until the entire mixture is sticky and combined. Lay out flat on a cookie sheet and bake at 200 until firm (about 20 min) watch make sure it doesnt burn. You could also lay the sheet out in the sun for a couple of hours if you wanted instead of baking.
Cut or break in pieces. This will keep for about 3 days.

Birdie Bread- submitted by Peggy

2 boxes Jiffy Corn Meal Mix
3 Tablespoons baking powder
2 eggs with shells
4 jars of strained baby food (carrots - sweet potatoes - chicken&broccoli - bananas)
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 cups mixed baby cereal
1 10oz. box frozen spinich thawed,drained, and chopped

Mix well and pour into 9x13 pan sprayed with Pam and bake in oven 400 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Cool slightly and cut into small squares. Keep refrigerated and warm in microwave before serving.
Can also be frozen and used as needed.

Bird bread recipe- submitted by: M.C Birds

2 packages of jiffy cornbread muffin mix follow recipe but add the eggs shells and all)
1 cup of pellet
2 cups frozen mixed veggies (corn, carrot, lima beans, ect.)
1 whole apple chopped up
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup apple sauce
2 cups dry parrot diet (mixed seed ect)
2 cups of beans (see below)
1/2 cup of shredded millet spray
(I also add flax seed and oat)

I start with the beans. I buy the dry mixed soup beans, rinse, and cook about 2 cups for 2 hours on the stove, drain and rinse multiple times until the water runs clear. Add the rest of the ingredients to a large bowl. I make these in a cup cake pan, greased. NO cups. Its easier to store in a bag and get out what you need. Fill cups about 3/4 full and cook at 300 degrees for around 25-35 minutes or until center is firm. These will feel like a brick, but the birds LOVE them. I store these in a large zip loc bag and take out 2 at a time. That way I have 1 for 1 day and the next is defrosting. They keep in the freezer for around a month. Happy baking.

Egg Mixture Recipe- submitted by Peggy

4 chopped hard boiled eggs with shells
4 slices crumbled multi grain, wheat or oatmeal bread what ever you can find on sale.
1/2 cup finely shredded mild cheddar cheese

Mix together

Add 2 Tablespoons of honey over top and mix again.
Keep refrigerated in covered container.
Heat in the microwave in small dish before serving just long enough to take the chill off.

This can be frozen in serving size portions.

Birdy Pasta Tastes so yummy!- submitted by M.C Bird and Exotic Rescue

3 cups of cooked Whole Wheat Pasta with Flax ( I buy al dente brand $4.29 at meijers)
1 cup organic mixed veggies
2 cup apple sauce with cinnamon
1/2 cup of chopped up plum, peach, or pears
1 cup of your birds favorite nuts chopped up

Cook off the pasta, add in mixed veggies and the rest of the ingredients and serve when cooled.
I freeze this in baggies. I freeze EVERYTHING.

Brown Rice Pilaf for the Birds- submitted by: M.C Bird and Exotics

2 cups cooked brown rice ( i use Organic Teximati Brown Rice $7.99 36 oz.)
2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables (organic if you can)
1 cup chopped collard greens
1/2 cup of steel cracked oats (i use organic)
1 cup of mixed seed diet
1 cup apple juice
1 cup orange (chopped)
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup of dried fruits

I take the brown rice after it has been cooked and add the frozen veggies. In a skillet add 3 tbsp vegetable oil. Add brown rice and vegetables. after about 1 minute add 1 whole egg shell and all. add in collard greens, flax seed, and apple juice. Simmer for 5 minutes. remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes, Add in seed mix, dried fruits, orange, honey, oats, and honey. Mix well. Freeze what you do not need for the next day or so.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Harrison's ready made Flax and Millet bird bread has no corn in it.

Birdie Apple Cinnamon Muffins

* 3 c. flour
* 3/4 c. sugar
* 1 1/2 t. cream tartar
* 3/4 t. baking soda
* 1/2 t. orange peel
* 1/2 t. cinnamon
* 1/2 c. butter
* 1 c. finely chopped apple
* 1 c. french vanilla yogurt
* 2 eggs, beaten

Mix all together. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3rds full. Makes 22 muffins. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. 325 degrees for Baker's Secret pans. Afer baking, brush tops of warm muffins with melted butter & then dip in mixture of 1/2 t. cinnamon & 1/3 c. sugar.
Birdie Pumpkin Bread

* 3 c. sugar plus bit of molasses
* 1 c. vegetable oil
* 4 eggs, beaten
* 16 oz. canned pumpkin
* 3 1/2 c. flour
* 2 t. soda
* 1/2 t. ground cloves
* 1 t. each cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg
* 2/3 c. water
* 2 c. nuts (optional)

Mix sugar, oil & eggs together. Add pumpkin, then add dry ingredients then water, stirring until just mixed. Pour batter into 2 greased & floured loaf pans. Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour, or makes 6 mini loaves in 40 minutes
Birdie Apricot Nut Bread

* 1 c. snipped dry apricots
* 3/4 c. sugar
* 2 T. soft butter
* 1 egg
* 3/4 c. orange juice
* 2 c. flour
* 1 t. cream of tartar
* 3/4 t. baking soda
* 3/4 c. chopped nuts

Soak apricots in warm water for 30 minutes. (optional) Cream together sugar, butter & egg. Stir in orange juice. Combine flour, baking soda & cream of tartar. Drain apricots well; add to batter. Stir together. Add nuts. Pour into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 min or until bread tests done. Cool ten minutes in pan before removing to wire rack. If use mini loaf pans makes 4 loaves & Baker's Secret pans 28 minutes. A double recipe yields 7 loaves at 325 degrees for 33 min in Baker's Secret pans.
Birdie Banana Nut Bread

* 3.5 c. flour
* 2 t. cream tartar
* 1.5 t. baking soda
* 2/3 c. applesauce (or 2 apples chopped finely)
* 1 1/3 c. sugar
* 4 eggs, well beaten
* 2 c. ripe mashed bananas
* 1 c. chopped baby carrots
* 2 c. pecans
* 1 jar baby food, winter squash or sweet potato (optional)

Bake 350 for about 30-33 min makes 6 mini loaves or approx 1 hour for 2 large loaves
Pineapple Carrot Bread

* 3 cups flour
* 2 cups sugar (can use less)
* 1 t. baking soda
* 1 t. cinnamon
* 3 eggs
* 2 cups shredded carrots
* 1 cup vegetable oil (or 1 c. applesauce)
* 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
* 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
* 2 t. vanilla extract

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon. In another bowl, beat eggs, add carrots, oil, pineapple, nuts & vanilla. Stir moist ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened. Spoon into 2 greased & floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 65-75 minutes or until loaves test done. Cool 10 minutesin pans before removing to wire racks. Makes 6 mini loaves, if baked in Baker's secret pans at 325 degrees takes 35-40 minutes.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Harrison's ready made Flax and Millet bird bread has no corn in it.

Birdie Apple Cinnamon Muffins

* 3 c. flour
* 3/4 c. sugar
* 1 1/2 t. cream tartar
* 3/4 t. baking soda
* 1/2 t. orange peel
* 1/2 t. cinnamon
* 1/2 c. butter
* 1 c. finely chopped apple
* 1 c. french vanilla yogurt
* 2 eggs, beaten

Mix all together. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3rds full. Makes 22 muffins. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. 325 degrees for Baker's Secret pans. Afer baking, brush tops of warm muffins with melted butter & then dip in mixture of 1/2 t. cinnamon & 1/3 c. sugar.
Birdie Pumpkin Bread

* 3 c. sugar plus bit of molasses
* 1 c. vegetable oil
* 4 eggs, beaten
* 16 oz. canned pumpkin
* 3 1/2 c. flour
* 2 t. soda
* 1/2 t. ground cloves
* 1 t. each cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg
* 2/3 c. water
* 2 c. nuts (optional)

Mix sugar, oil & eggs together. Add pumpkin, then add dry ingredients then water, stirring until just mixed. Pour batter into 2 greased & floured loaf pans. Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour, or makes 6 mini loaves in 40 minutes
Birdie Apricot Nut Bread

* 1 c. snipped dry apricots
* 3/4 c. sugar
* 2 T. soft butter
* 1 egg
* 3/4 c. orange juice
* 2 c. flour
* 1 t. cream of tartar
* 3/4 t. baking soda
* 3/4 c. chopped nuts

Soak apricots in warm water for 30 minutes. (optional) Cream together sugar, butter & egg. Stir in orange juice. Combine flour, baking soda & cream of tartar. Drain apricots well; add to batter. Stir together. Add nuts. Pour into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 min or until bread tests done. Cool ten minutes in pan before removing to wire rack. If use mini loaf pans makes 4 loaves & Baker's Secret pans 28 minutes. A double recipe yields 7 loaves at 325 degrees for 33 min in Baker's Secret pans.
Birdie Banana Nut Bread

* 3.5 c. flour
* 2 t. cream tartar
* 1.5 t. baking soda
* 2/3 c. applesauce (or 2 apples chopped finely)
* 1 1/3 c. sugar
* 4 eggs, well beaten
* 2 c. ripe mashed bananas
* 1 c. chopped baby carrots
* 2 c. pecans
* 1 jar baby food, winter squash or sweet potato (optional)

Bake 350 for about 30-33 min makes 6 mini loaves or approx 1 hour for 2 large loaves
Pineapple Carrot Bread

* 3 cups flour
* 2 cups sugar (can use less)
* 1 t. baking soda
* 1 t. cinnamon
* 3 eggs
* 2 cups shredded carrots
* 1 cup vegetable oil (or 1 c. applesauce)
* 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
* 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
* 2 t. vanilla extract

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon. In another bowl, beat eggs, add carrots, oil, pineapple, nuts & vanilla. Stir moist ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened. Spoon into 2 greased & floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 65-75 minutes or until loaves test done. Cool 10 minutesin pans before removing to wire racks. Makes 6 mini loaves, if baked in Baker's secret pans at 325 degrees takes 35-40 minutes.
yummy John - guess I'm gonna be baking tomorrow too LOL

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I have a Birdie Cookbook on my website because believe it or not I get A LOT of people who have not clue you can give birds things other than their seed. I remember when a lady called because she ran out of parakeet seed and couldn't get to the store to buy more and she didn't know she could have made him something at home or fed him cereal and he died. :(

But back to the point of my post. Does anyone care if I add a few of these recepies to my website for others to see. I can even say if was from you guys if you want to each claim them :)
It will be on this page:
Birdie Cookbook

THANK YOU!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I have a Birdie Cookbook on my website because believe it or not I get A LOT of people who have not clue you can give birds things other than their seed. I remember when a lady called because she ran out of parakeet seed and couldn't get to the store to buy more and she didn't know she could have made him something at home or fed him cereal and he died. :(

But back to the point of my post. Does anyone care if I add a few of these recepies to my website for others to see. I can even say if was from you guys if you want to each claim them :)
It will be on this page:
Birdie Cookbook

THANK YOU!

great link - thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Why no cornmeal???? Just curious.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks for all the recipes. :laughing12: I think Ruby will have to agree to share some of them with me they sound so yummy!

John, corn makes her wing flip at night so if I give her any it has to be very little, not something I would feed her every day. :).

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
Here's one I had posted "before" you could substitute the cornmeal, I doubt it's necessary, maybe you could use 1c ground flax, 1c soy flour, and 1c ??? just to add dry matter? I don't think the cornmeal is necessary as far as it being "corn meal" just 3c of a flour/meal of sorts?

I'm naming this one "Nicki's Birdie Bread"
My friend Nicki gave me this recipe, and while I love it - I'm a little miffed that she didn't share this with me sooner!

This made a LOT of mini muffins, but I go through 4+/day
You can cut the amount down if you want.
(measurements are US)

3c whole wheat flour
3c cornmeal
1c v8 juice (regular)
1c other liquid
I used apple juice but you can use water, other juice, chicken broth, etc
6 eggs with shell
6T vegetable oil (you can use "better" oil if you want)
any veggies & fruit you want
I used endive, sweet potato, broccoli, and some lettuce
"some" whole flax seed
"some" fine pellets (I used adult lifetime fine by Harrison's)
"some" wheat germ
I also added short grain brown rice and quinoa
1t baking soda
1t baking powder

mix all dry ingredients together (flour, cornmeal, flax seed, wheat germ, pellets, baking soda, baking powder, etc)
mix all moist ingredients in a blender (v8 juice, other liquid, eggs, oil, veggies and fruit, etc) - liquefy all wet ingredients together - this becomes the moist part of your bread "dough"
Add the veggie liquid mix to the dry ingredients and mix well, making sure all dry ingredients are moistened.
You can add any other larger ingredients at this point if you want, I added small chopped pieces of broccoli and sweet potato.

I put my mix in mini paper muffin cups and baked them at 375f for 17min and they turned out great. My friend bakes hers for about 35-45 minutes but in a large cake pan and cuts into cubes.

I hope I was specific enough. It's not super specific on ingredients other than the "basics" of flour, cornmeal, eggs, and moist "stuff"

The fids love it! I am happy to know that the budgies, lovies and the p'let are getting more veggies that they otherwise wouldn't eat!

I think total I got about 130 mini-muffins

ETA: I just made some of this on thursday, and used 3/4 can of V8 juice and a small bottle of cranberry juice, strawberries, bananas, and kale in the blended mix and then i chopped up sweet potato to bake in

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks Audra! Sounds wonderful and very healthy. Nice instruction also. :laughing12:

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
Thanks Audra! Sounds wonderful and very healthy. Nice instruction also. :laughing12:
Just don't tell the fids it's healthy! It's the only way I can get the budgies and p'let to get their veggies... :rolleyes: They all devour it though! Oh, and another ETA - I now use 7 mini-muffins a day so this doesn't last me that long anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.