• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm curious about adopting

Heyit'sChaney

Moving in
Real Name
Chaney
Hi everyone, I'm going to get a GCC and I want to know if it's better to adopt or to get a bird from a breeder or pet shop. Please let me know your experiences and thoughts.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Both of my GCC's are adopted and they are great birds and warmed up to us quickly. I have a cockatiel from a breeder and for us there is no difference. Since there are so many birds that need a home I would adopt.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My only bird has come from a pet store (albeit a small local one that takes great care of the birds) but I think I would adopt my next bird. Do be aware though that a bird coming from a shelter was, in some way, given up and may have a not great history (i.e. being abused, unwanted, neglected, etc) so they can be a lot more work, especially for a new bird owner. But eventually they'll open up and that beautiful birdie soul will shine through!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Suggest you volunteer a bit of your time at a bird rescue. Even one day a week would give you an inside look and feel for birds needing a new home. If you were wanting a dog or cat would you adopt from a shelter?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Adoption saves lives!

Be warned that a rescued bird comes with baggage! It may even have dietary habits you don't agree with! Rescue birds often must learn to trust, again. As I say, rescues usually must be untrained first.

Unless you have had birds, I recommend what I call breeder babies. They usually are hand-reared and socialized when you get them. In fact, often you can tell a breeder what you expect of the bird (i.e. step up).

The best answer will come from a rescue or sanctuary. As you either volunteer or visit, your questions will be answered.

Another option is fostering. Rather than outright adoption you can foster. While many places and people insist on immediate and outright adoption, fostering is usually less scary.

No matter your choice, get the bird that is your best fit and you will find a loving and loyal companion for life!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I agree thag adopted birds can defiantly have bagage, but that doesn’t have to be the case:) Some birds are surrendered because the previous loving caretakers could no longer take care of him/her, allergies, etc. Some birds also adapt very quickly and you Will have little hinderence from their negative past. I have had three rehomed/adopted birds and only one defiantly had a lot of baggage, that was my cockatiel Tiki. My lovebird Henkie was kept in a small cage with no toys, and my lovebird Fëanor was at first kept flighted and cage free but when he started to mature they cut his wing feathers and kept him in a hamster cage part of the day. Fëanor was the last bird to join my flock and he was taking treats the day he came home. I didn’t even expect him to like me, I would have been happy being just a caretaker. I just desperatly hoped he would provide Some compainionship to my other lovebird when I was not there. The lady I got him from hovered over him while she cornered him, and then grabbed him. That was normal procedure to get him back into his cage, yet he was more then willing to be friends with me. The relatively short period of time this was going on might have played a role in the fact that he easily adapted :)
So it really depends on the bird! You could adopt a bird who had a lot baggage(in my experience VERY rewarding, but might be more difficult then a bird with little baggage), or you could adopt a well adjusted bird that is ready to enjoy life with someone else!:)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie

Some birds are surrendered because the previous loving caretakers could no longer take care of him/her, allergies, etc. Some birds also adapt very quickly and you Will have little hinderence from their negative past. I have had three rehomed/adopted birds and only one defiantly had a lot of baggage,
Based on my experience and what I was taught,
Rehome = positive human experiences
Rescue = negative human experiences
That's why I suggest volunteering/visiting a rescue or sanctuary to get your questions answered.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That's why I suggest volunteering/visiting a rescue or sanctuary to get your questions answered.
That is a pretty good way of looking at it! I am a bit unsure of the term use most of the time, but this is a clear explanation:)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I really don't know if that's commonly excepted or not. Both the rescue I volunteered at and my AV use that differentiation, so it may just be Southern jargon. That's why I said, "Based on my experience and what I was taught."

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
One of my rescued gals is the absolute sweetest and interactive cheek. And I just helped place another cheek who is an absolute doll too. That being said I have a nutter from rescue that has issues and is on meds. But I knew when he failed his second placement, he needed a more specialized home. I also have a birdie from CL recently (rehome) and she is adorable...still a baby but such a doll. It all depends on the bird. Most often with a baby, you won't know the outcome of the personality until that first wave of puberty. Visit whoever you plan to adopt or purchase. And those babies in the petstore...well they deserve a home too. Although I stay out of petstores for that reason...

Zia was overlooked as she plucks whenever anything is bothering her but super, super sweet.
zia.jpg

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What about breeder birds? I'm still not sure if Java is considered rescued or adopted.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am a big proponent of adoption. There are many, many sweet birds out there in need of good homes. My first bird came to us after his owner passed away, as often birds out live their owners. My second bird we adopted from a rescue. I know he had a number of homes before coming to us but I don't really know a lot about his history. I don't consider either of my birds having had "baggage".

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

LSA

Real Name
Leslie

really don't know if that's commonly excepted or not. Both the rescue I volunteered at and my AV use that differentiation, so it may just be Southern jargon. That's why I said, "Based on my experience and what I was taught."

@sunnysmom, please reread my comment to @TikiMyn.

My first line was "Adoption saves lives.

Based on these items as well as my recommendationS, I stand by my words.

Like you, I have gotten GCCs that have had several homes before. Again, I stand by my suggestion to reach out to rescues for help as they are more able to answer the question.

@Brittany0208, I, personally, have never attempted to adopt a bird whose purpose was breeding.

Based on inexperience and expectations, breedee babies seem to work best for someone new to the birdworld. It actually cuts down on adoptions. (Again, this is something taught me at a Southern rescue and may also be a Southern-thing. I can't comment on that, since it was part of my Southern rescue experience.)

I WILL add that of birds over the years, rescues have been the most loving and loyal birds I've ever had.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
In the South, we tend to raise more domestic animals than birds (not poultry birds) but not exclusively. Adoption of humans, domestic animals and birds are all quite common.

Despite a creatures origins and/or disabilities, it should be accepted and cared for. As a disabled person, I must wonder how many first birds were adoptions. If yours was, you deserve congratulations. If not, you're typical. Even having grown up both times with adopted birds, my first each time was from a breeder.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If I had to do it all over again, I never would have purchased a baby as my first bird.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Too late. :rofl:
There are probably several people who regret getting mixed up with birds in the first place. :hehe:
I'm just glad ours are loved.:xflove:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom, please reread my comment to @TikiMyn.

My first line was "Adoption saves lives.

Based on these items as well as my recommendationS, I stand by my words.

Like you, I have gotten GCCs that have had several homes before. Again, I stand by my suggestion to reach out to rescues for help as they are more able to answer the question.

@Brittany0208, I, personally, have never attempted to adopt a bird whose purpose was breeding.

Based on inexperience and expectations, breedee babies seem to work best for someone new to the birdworld. It actually cuts down on adoptions. (Again, this is something taught me at a Southern rescue and may also be a Southern-thing. I can't comment on that, since it was part of my Southern rescue experience.)

I WILL add that of birds over the years, rescues have been the most loving and loyal birds I've ever had.
I wasn't trying to contradict you. Just my opinion to the poster's question. :) I know this forum tends to be very pro-adoption. And since I volunteer with a rescue, I'm definitely an adoption advocate. But I realize that's not always an option and not always the right choice for everyone. And I know we have lovely members here who raise babies and that's important too.

Last edited:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
We were both doing the same in our own way! I simply stand by my recommendations just like you. I gave my honest response just like you.
V
BTW, I certainly don't mind being contradicted anyway. It's the best way to learn! and I'm far from the smartest person in the room. (Well, maybe this room since I'm all alone here. HAHA)

I'd like to point out though, that like most members, my birds, except my budgie Tommy, are adoptees with one foster. (That's probably why my flock is such a strange mix.) That doesn't make me special. It just means I'm just another member.

Someone once asked why I liked birds. I responded that they quickly forgive my mistakes. People too often take what you say as gospel; birds don't. People forget that we're just people with opinions and experiences trying to survive like them.
Forgetting that, too? GUILTY