• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Im Back once again since my Babies past on

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
Hey all :D

Im back!:xflove: its been a hot minute since I was last on this forum and man have I missed the help and wonderful community.
After my three, sweet budgies past on I took a break from birds and everything related. But now I'm older, and have two crazy 3 year old green cheek conures. I adore them to bits, however there are some behavior issue that we have to work through, and this is were you guys come in hand! Although I have a huge network of incredible trainers on youtube and the vast internet, there is no better way to work through a situation than one on one with people who have been through it too.

To give ya' a little bit more information about me :roflmao: my name is Alex, I'm still new to this all, with a lot more to learn and improve on. I mostly sit in an existential puddle of my own thoughts with music as my only friend, or spend countless minute playing Minecraft by my girlfriends side. I do a little (cough* LOT of) art on the side too, and hope to go into a creative career one day ;3

Shadow :gcc1: is my green cheek, she is very affectionate and at this point we've (for the most part) mastered the 'step up' and 'target' tricks. She loves giving kisses and sitting on your shoulder preening your hair, and will happily mumble back when I talk lovingly to her, however she is still a bit nippy and not fond of any other physical touch or handling.
Ashly :pgcc:is my problem baby. She is a very skittish and *highly* aggressive pineapple green cheek. I've found that she is thoroughly food (sunflower seed) motivated and is eager to tap the stick to get a treat, however sometimes a better treat for her is to bite my fingers instead of taking the sunflower seed. when she bites she is very purposeful and sometimes grinds her beak. I've been trying to work through this with her, but its not going as well as I'd hoped and so I'm hoping to find some help here. She despises everything to do with my hands and fingers, and when she tries to preen its rather painful, and she thinks kisses is the perfect moment to chomp and because of this we don't have a lot of trust towards one another. She ADORES it when my girlfriend talks to her over the phone, and I'm almost certain that she'll bond strongly to her as soon as they meet, but before then I'd like to have formed some sort of trust between her and I, and have eradicated the biting situation.

I am open to advice and direct messages, and cant wait to get to know everyone again ;)

- LittleBird

Last edited by a moderator:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
1.welcome signs.gif Welcome Alex :)

Anna&Aruan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Beatriz
Welcome! Unfortunately i havent have any experience with bitey birds (well... actually i do think its really fortunate for me ;p) anyways, i seen on youtube that a good way to disencourage this behavior is to take away the posibility for her to bite you, you can try to offer the treats in a lil shallow plate, for example. I'm not sure of the eficacy of this tip, as i havnt had the need to use it, but i hope it helps

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome back to the Avenue :hiya:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Welcome back!! We would love to see pictures of your new girls! :yes3:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome back!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Welcome back to the forum! I agree, we need pictures.

My Yuka, who passed away earlier this year, taught me the ropes in avoiding bites, though she was an absolute love with me and stepped up fine 80% of the time. She just loved to express herself with her beak from day one and I had to learn to avoid giving her those opportunities as best as possible.

“I want breakfast faster”? Might chomp you.
Woke up hormonal? Might chomp you.
Wearing nail polish? Absolutely just asking for it. ;)

It really is a case of being consistent and coming to understand your individual bird. Keep offering treats, keep yourself symbolizing only positive things. Talk soft, sit near her.
Fear is natural to prey animals and it will take time to gain her trust. It’s wonderful you’ve got target training started. Keep going with it and she will eventually learn you aren’t so bad.

But just like myself and other cheekie owners, we end up avoiding that beak even on good days. Best of luck!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Welcome!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award