• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm about to be a foster mama!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you! I'll watch it after the birds are up. :)

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interesting...I've always thought them to be untamable...but seeing her...I always thought they'd rather be crawled up on some rock but seems they can interact with you & enjoy you being their rock! LOL
I tend to think of reptiles as being much like birds. You can form an understanding, but at the end of the day they're wild animals and you need to work for it. Of course, parrots have social bonds and reptiles are mostly solitary, so the bonds you form are different, but if you work with them and you're kind to them, they'll learn to trust you.

My snake Sam, who recently passed and had been with me for years, knew me by sight and scent and would ask to be let out so she could climb on me. She didn't trust anyone but me, and would hide from anyone she didn't know, refusing to be held by them. I was her person, and we had a relationship.

Last edited:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I've become addicted to handling the new beauty. She's so much fun, she just loves to climb all over me and explore. Constrictors give the best hugs. :swoon:

Really can't decide now between Bananas Foster, Peanut Butter and Butterscotch, lol

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Had to leave to go to some appointments and I miss her so much, lmao. I've fallen hard and fast for my sweet first foster baby!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry peterbutter I told you!!! It sticks...She just looks like your snake...

Sorry but you butternut foster anymore!!!:rofl:

That's it BUTTERNUT...but you know you will...:penguinlaughs:

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, I don't think she's going anywhere. Looks like you got yourself a snake!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How am I supposed to be a foster parent with you naughty lot around? :lol:

Since it's a nice, sunny, warm day outside today, Peanut Butter and I went out for a little walk! One of the kids from work lives next door to me, and she and her dad came out to admire her. :heart:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
How am I supposed to be a foster parent with you naughty lot around? :lol:

Since it's a nice, sunny, warm day outside today, Peanut Butter and I went out for a little walk! One of the kids from work lives next door to me, and she and her dad came out to admire her. :heart:
That's so cool that you took her outside. Do they slither slowly? She couldn't run away, could she? I'm just curious cause I don't know much about snakes & I've never seen someone walk around with one.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's so cool that you took her outside. Do they slither slowly? She couldn't run away, could she? I'm just curious cause I don't know much about snakes & I've never seen someone walk around with one.
She was just very calmly hanging out around my shoulders and lazily climbing around on me. Boas are ambush predators and don't chase their prey, so they're generally very slow-moving. Slow enough that I could have set her down on the grass and walked beside her as she explored, if there were fewer predators around.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful news!! Peace officers found the guy who dumped her! There's surveillance cameras all around outside the building for this very reason, and while they were unable to catch his license plate, his fool self used a getaway car with highly unique customisations, and they tracked down the car.

The court already signed her over to the society the day she was abandoned, but now he's going to be charged with animal cruelty. Victory for Peanut Butter! :loveshower:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I've been keeping an eye on this thread- Well I'll start off by saying congratulations!!!! She's a beauty! I had no clue snakes could live to be 20, let alone 40!

I'm glad they found the scum wagon that dumped her, I hope he gets a nice big slice of karma.

There's nothing wrong with being a foster failure... :ashamed3: :embarassed: You two look like you were meant for each other! I have no doubt in my mind that if anyone could handle a sweet old lady snake, it would be you!!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been keeping an eye on this thread- Well I'll start off by saying congratulations!!!! She's a beauty! I had no clue snakes could live to be 20, let alone 40!

I'm glad they found the scum wagon that dumped her, I hope he gets a nice big slice of karma.

There's nothing wrong with being a foster failure... :ashamed3: :embarassed: You two look like you were meant for each other! I have no doubt in my mind that if anyone could handle a sweet old lady snake, it would be you!!
I already love her so much. Just now she was "helping" me fold laundry. She's a joy!

We'll have to wait until she's actually up for adoption to see whether she becomes a foster failure :p

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wonderful news!! Peace officers found the guy who dumped her! There's surveillance cameras all around outside the building for this very reason, and while they were unable to catch his license plate, his fool self used a getaway car with highly unique customisations, and they tracked down the car.

The court already signed her over to the society the day she was abandoned, but now he's going to be charged with animal cruelty. Victory for Peanut Butter! :loveshower:

Make sure he does not have a change of heart & want peanut butter!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hehehe, she’s going nowhere!!!

She belongs with you as you both just look so comfortable together and no one will look after her as well as you will.

Stop pretending you’ll be able to give her up, lol ....your adoption application papers will the first ones (and likely the only ones) the rescue receives for her.

She has to stay as she fits all the criteria for being given a permanent spot at your home.....she’s old, she was done wrong by, she has special needs and now a special person to provide them....she can’t go anywhere now!

Congratulations:)