• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Illiger's baby introduction

CMarshall2

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy
Happy to introduce my sweet new baby Illiger's macaw (no name until DNA is done) :xflove: He or she is 11 weeks old. This morning he flew all the way here to Ohio from Georgia! He was a tad traumatized but sat and listened to me talk to him through his travel cage the whole ride home from the airport! I made a previous thread in the welcome board about non wing clipping fees (Yes, I paid $300 for unclipped wings, note to others, ask better questions before putting down a deposit. :nocomment:) but is here with beautiful unclipped deep blue wings and even got to take a little flight around the living room (with clumsy landings of course!) We tackled his first hand feeding at his new home, and has been enjoying the new view from this vantage point in his cage that I can't keep him away from (all kinds of perches and he chose the bowl ring by the window). Must not have had much of a view at the breeders! He's currently taking a nap there and is just the sweetest! He already loves scritches and even gave me a few step ups and did a couple reps of target training. I don't think he knows what to do with all this one on one attention but he sure seems happy for it.

This whole fledgling thing is new to me. I'm not sure what to do to foster and encourage his new realized ability to fly. Right now he's eager to leave my hand but ends up just kind of wherever he can land.
Also I'm wondering how and how soon should I introduce bathing to him without freaking him out, plus any great name ideas for male or female?

For boy I've considered Obi Wan, or Cosmo. For girl Aliyah, or Charlotte? Can't decide! 20200707_152437.jpg

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful baby! Congrats.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
:congrats5:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What a beautiful macaw.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Ooooh I like the name Charlotte if they’re a girl! Obi Wan is cool for a boy (I’m a sucker for nerd names).
Such a cute baby :xflove:

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
wow what a cutie! for the names i like cosmo (i was about to name my conure that) and i can't decide for a girl, both are such pretty names.

Missyszlee

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Missy
@CMarshall2 - Do you still have your new illy baby?? I just brought one home about a month ago and would love to hear how yours is doing!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@CMarshall2 - Do you still have your new illy baby?? I just brought one home about a month ago and would love to hear how yours is doing!
That member hasn’t actually been on here since last year so I’m not too sure you’ll get a response.

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Congrats! I really like Cosmo and Obi Wan for boy names, maybe Abbie for a girl name?