• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Iggy troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
One day Iggy will step up from his cage the next he won't. One day he'll step up from his playstand, the next he won't...so on and so on... Why??? Is it because he is in his "teenager" phase? Or is it because he just doesn't like me and doesn't want to do what I ask. And I ask nicely!!

I really would like it if he would step up from his cage more than anywhere else because then I can take him to where he needs to be. Will I always have to use my target, treats and clicker to get him to step up? Seems like he is too smart lol He's got it all figured out. If he doesn't see the clicker or target he knows there are no treats and won't step up. Maybe I'm just crazy and think that's what he's thinking and he just needs a lot more training...even though I have been training him for quite some time now... What do you guys think? Will he ever step up for me without persuasion?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ok but you have used the clicker for training and that is the whole point isnt it? so you will have to keep using it...that was my assumption about the clicker training...otherwise he will just step up when he feels like it...

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
we have a great section by Vicki/BraveHeartDogs on clicker training that is well worth the reading (the lessons/steps are all stickied at the top of the forum):

Clicker Training Classroom

the clicker is used in the beginning with a treat and a 'word bridge' such as "step up"

the goal is to achieve the behaviour using only the word to elicit the desired action and with praise (instead of a click or treat) as the reward for doing what is asked

it takes time, patience and a lot of practice and every birdie is different - some catch on in a few tries and some take a lot longer

I would encourage you to read (or re-read) that section and keep working with Iggy - it sounds like you are on the right track :)

Last edited:

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
we have a great section by Vicki/BraveHeartDogs on clicker training that is well worth the reading (the lessons/steps are all stickied at the top of the forum):

Clicker Training Classroom

the clicker is used in the beginning with a treat and a 'word bridge' such as "step up"

the goal is to achieve the behaviour using only the word to elicit the desired action and with praise (instead of a click or treat) as the reward for doing what is asked

it takes time, patience and a lot of practice and every birdie is different - some catch on in a few tries and some take a lot longer

I would encourage you to read (or re-read) that section and keep working with Iggy - it sounds like you are on the right track :)
Thanks!! I am checking that out now! =) He caught on to target training really fast it just seems as though he doesn't want to step up. I will keep trying. Is it important to train everyday? I saw something where their schedule was only training the bird 3-4 times a week. I thought I was supposed to train every day?

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
every day is good - in short sessions - in blocks of 5 or 10 repetitions of the desired behaviour

example, if you are working on 'step up' then practice the behaviour 5 or 10 times in a row and then take a break and you can do it again

the whole idea is for it to be a relaxed atmosphere for both you and Iggy - think of it as a 'play session' with a goal in mind and not a 'work session' he is playing, getting a treat and learning something all at one time

if it were me, I would try to work with him every day as long as it is not stressful on you to make the time to do it daily (we all have other responsibilities like work and kids and school and sometimes every day may not be possible and that's ok)

Ranyart

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
What's your definition of 'quite some time'? I can bet it's not the same as Iggy's. LOL. Hang in - you guys will get there (try thinking in terms of months to years - after all, you'll hopefully be together a decade or more - one year at the beginning will seem like nothing after a decade! You're doing good!

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
every day is good - in short sessions - in blocks of 5 or 10 repetitions of the desired behaviour

example, if you are working on 'step up' then practice the behaviour 5 or 10 times in a row and then take a break and you can do it again

the whole idea is for it to be a relaxed atmosphere for both you and Iggy - think of it as a 'play session' with a goal in mind and not a 'work session' he is playing, getting a treat and learning something all at one time

if it were me, I would try to work with him every day as long as it is not stressful on you to make the time to do it daily (we all have other responsibilities like work and kids and school and sometimes every day may not be possible and that's ok)
Maybe that's why he's not getting the hang of it because I have been training him for too long in one day. Once I spent a whole hour training him. He must have thought it was work. I will do how you say. Luckily for now I can train every day. So today I will start fresh with his training. =)

What's your definition of 'quite some time'? I can bet it's not the same as Iggy's. LOL. Hang in - you guys will get there (try thinking in terms of months to years - after all, you'll hopefully be together a decade or more - one year at the beginning will seem like nothing after a decade! You're doing good!
Well a couple months I have been training him. I guess that's not very long for him huh? I know I love that he will be in my life for such a long time. =) I see other birds who get the hang of things so quickly, but then I have to remember all birds are different. :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
be sure and read the stickies in the Clicker Training Classroom, Vicki is an excellent teacher and her posts/steps are very clear and easy to understand

and Iggy and you both are doing great, it just takes repetition and time! :thumbsup:

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I read them. =) I pretty much knew most of that but it's always good to review. I think I may start all over with training and take it slower since I didn't know to only do it in short sessions.

Thank you so much for your help! It's greatly appreciated! :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
let us know how you progress and Vicki is a sweetheart, she won't mind if you pm her with questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.