• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If you think Coconut oil is good for your birds...

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

This just came into my google feed tonight & if you think it's bad for us after reading rhis article... imagine what it is doing to your fids.

@Hankmacaw & I were just discussing how bad it is for heart disease yesterday. Proof? You tell me your thoughts please.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Can't read the article without signing up.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dang it, Let me see if I can copy & paste it!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok I like this article better. Very straightforward & explains it in laymens terms. I cannot even view the 1st article anymore. I'm not sure why Medscape did what they did after google advertised it in the news. Baloney, plain and simply put...

Butter bad, Coconut oil... well, ya'll can read. ;)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Rain Bow I'm glad you found that article - I just put up the analysis of coconut oil compared to RPO and other oils like Olive Oil and think people will look at them and understand that saturated oils are bad. That article just states it.

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
Thank you so much for sharing this. SO many of my friends in the bird community push coconut oil for birds, even saying to give a spoonful of it as a treat. I was alway skeptical, but will admit I have used it to cook for my birds and in bird bread. I won’t be anymore.

Is red palm oil bad, too? If so, can someone recommend a healthy substitute oil?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Red Palm Oil is very good for your parrot - it has far less saturated fat than coconut oil and is full of carotene (vit A) and vitamin E. Can't find the article by Dr. Harrison right now that gives details on it's benefits.

You will be amazed at what it does for their feathers.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much for sharing this. SO many of my friends in the bird community push coconut oil for birds, even saying to give a spoonful of it as a treat. I was alway skeptical, but will admit I have used it to cook for my birds and in bird bread. I won’t be anymore.

Is red palm oil bad, too? If so, can someone recommend a healthy substitute oil?

Here's a link to the thread where Miss Mary was helping me w/ oils & fats. (This is when the othrrthings started poping up in my Google news feed.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Screenshot_20200129-090523.png

:shifty: Whut kinda vegetable oil...

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
This is a bit strange to me because over here its a view that coconut milk and coconut oil is not as healthy as other oils; but just so tasty to use in traditional cooking.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's consumption of s
Saturated (good) fats vrs. Unsaturated (bad) fats. Simple as all that. Coconut oil is too high in Unsaturated fats... I'm a firm believer if it's not good for us as adults (large weights) what's it doing to the itty bitty birdy bodies?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Don't solely trust all those rec's...Time goes on & they find out more about it & things change so its not as bad as they say. I say everything in moderation. I'm a scientist & I do wonder about oils that get hard at lower temps...I suppose at 98 degrees coconut oil is liquid...

I mean history has not been kind to us...

Butter is bad so we eat hydrogenated margarine which is worse...I have some butter on my toast...so kill me...

Eggs bad...Now eggs in mod are ok..

I guess we are not meant to live to 150 so the truth is even healthy people get killed by cars or cancer...I've had both...So if I have whole milk in my coffee then thats a small amount per day.. I use olive oil but will use some coconut oil in soem things like corn muffins or bisquits etc... One oil I hate is Canola///don;t tell mei ts good..I hate that stuff as I have seen it turn into mastic glue that could not be removed without vigorous scrubbing that no way could not end up gluing your veins shut...

I try to eat grass fed milk fats & meat...I think those are a bit more accepted by the body & have some redeeming qualities...

I try & am aware of nutrition & its limitations & do the best I can & still live & enjoy living...

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
More fun facts it's a few days old as it's been eaiting in my browser to post for everyone.

@camelotshadow
I do enjoy food too & @ times eat far worse than Buddy. That being said after 20+ years of being a seed, dry fruit & peanut fed bird, the damage is done. All I can hope for is let his remaining years be as healthy as possible. I worry about sugar & fat, every nut I give him I cringe a little.