• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If you could pick just one...

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Any thoughts on a Military macaw vs. BGs and GWs?
I could see myself with a Severe as well
Observations of my two (which is a very small sample), and as you've stated, "Personalities vary so much"...

JerichoOscar
SpeciesSevereMilitary
Age149
Gendermalemale
Weight460g900g
Historywas the only bird in his former household; came to me because he chased the previous owner's grand kidswas in a small flock of 8 other macaws; came to me because the previous owner wanted to down-size their numbers
PersonalityEnjoys being close to me no matter what I'm doing, or where I'm doing it.
Behaves as if he wishes he was still the only bird, but tolerates my other two. Tends to get jealous when I'm paying attention to Oscar, but otherwise everyone coexists.
Dominant but not aggressive (my sense is he doesn't understand flock dynamics)
Quite an independent fellow, who is quite content to be close enough to observe what's going on, even if he's not super close or participating.
Passive and submissive (my sense is he understands flock dynamics, and most of his former flock mates out-weighed him)... he'll even duck when my little conure does a fly-by that's too close.
PlayDoesn't play much with toys, despite having access to them and my attempts to teach him how. Likes knocking over block structures that I build on the floor. Chews rope perches.
Likes when I preen him.
Loves destroying wood block toys, and shredding paper rope. Plays with a ball on the floor.
Tolerates when I preen him.
FlightCame to me un-flighted (I don't know how long he was clipped), but has fully regrown his wings. He will fly when he's motivated to be closer to where I am, but is otherwise quite lazy (he won't fly to his food or water station on his own, for example).Came to me un-flighted after a failed rehome with a flipper who had clipped his wings, but he was fully flighted with his flock mates. He's mostly regrown them, and will fly when he wants to get back to his favourite perch.

My observation is that smaller birds will fly more, but none of them make a sport of it... they need a reason and motivation to.
VocabularyHello, hi (excitedly), bye (usually with a single foot wave), I love... (waits for 'Jericho' as a response), good boy, good girl, step up, here ya go, wow, stop it, stop.
Talks mostly right before bed, and it's a ritual that we speak until he's done.
Hello, hello Oscar, good boy Oscar, up up!, come on, *click click click*, quiet! (when Jericho is yelling), oww!, and many other mumbles (usually in a conversation with himself himself)
NoiseUsually some yelling in the morning as they get woken up, but nothing excessive. My home is fairly quiet, and I don't reinforce yelling with attention, so he's not noisy by most definitions.same
MessDoesn't shred many toys, and eats at a designated location, so not much mess.2x the size and 4x the mess (mostly due to his wood block and paper rope shredding).
Beak/biteSlight bite when we were first together and I startled him, but hasn't since.
Good understanding of appropriate bite pressure.
Will occasionally nip at my shoulder if he's in a situation where he's uncertain/scared and wants me to "deal with it".
Does the macaw bluff/lunge in situations where he's unsure.
When we were first together, his bite pressure was uncomfortably firm, but he never tried to bite me.
Now that he's learned to trust, and knows that I will listen when he "beaks" me, there is very little pressure applied at all.
Step upUnderstands the request, and lifts a foot for a foot-first step-up as a response to either a verbal cue or hand gesture.same
ShoulderHe likes being on my shoulder, sometimes flies to it, but isn't obsessed with being there.
His size makes him "disappear" and go largely unnoticed when he's there.
Comes off easily when requested.
Neither of us really like him being on my shoulder (even though I'm 198cm, it's obvious that I have a passenger when he's up there), but he enjoys spending time on my back when I'm laying on the floor or sofa.
Comes off easily when requested.
Clicker trainingUsed early on to build trust, and establish basic communication, and he responded with slight aggression to the pointer (at first).Used early on to build trust, and establish basic communication, and he responded with slight confusion to the pointer (at first).
HormonesTends to want to nest, find dark places... including being obsessed with getting inside my hoodie.Nothing noteworthy.
DogWould prefer if my dog would go far away, "bluff lunges" when she gets too close (likely related to his desire to be the "only bird").Doesn't pay attention to my dog (previous owner had dogs, so this is likely a nurture thing, rather than nature).
Other peopleWill wave bye, and show off a little as long as they don't get too close. Doesn't appear to like kids.
I live alone, with few visitors, so he doesn't get well socialized. He enjoyed going for car rides to the local bird shop before Covid, and did fine in that situation (in a neutral location), but is more territorial at home.
Not much experience here, although he came from a home with 5 kids, and often spent time at the previous owner's place of business where people came and went frequently, so he's probably accustomed to other people.

I suppose the TL;DR summary is that nurture shapes them more than nature in my experience.

(so seek to understand history as much as possible, but as @Hankmacaw said... patience & time can overcome)

Feel free to ask me anything.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Two more things I forgot...

Jericho has an actual laugh, while Oscar will say "ha ha".
Oscar blushes (characteristic of a Military), while Jericho does not

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Oddly, finding my tastes in macaws broadening... I could see myself with a Severe as well. Bit small, but that is ok - just makes the cages I have on order all the roomier.

More and more I'm leaning towards "Whatever bird I find that feels right when I meet it".
That's what will make the DIFFERENCE!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Hyacinth was always my dream, but for the what I think was the wrong reason: I just love the way they look. A birds personality and relationship with me should be more important than looks.
Wish more people felt that way-- alot more birds being given up.... My baby Harlequin was SO PRECIOUS... it's a wonder I didn't hold it against Steve for making me 're-home' him after we married ...

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Reading over your list of observations... After reading w/ enthusiasm... I found it interesting that I personally jumped over the list of vocabulary-- to me, I found I have been happier w/ the birds personality, not so much vocabulary...
Definately a personal decision...

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Outstanding response! Thank you!!! Literally laughed out load when I read "2x the size 4X the mess!" (recall I previously lived with a GW, so can relate!)

Interesting that the male severe has a nesting instinct; I had rather designated that as a female characteristic - but I've been heavily influenced by my reading on Eclectus females...

Was also surprised that the Jericho wasn't seriously into wood shredding. I have been presuming that was a characteristic of all macaws.

Whoops, just realized I never hit "post" on this...

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Was also surprised that the Jericho wasn't seriously into wood shredding. I have been presuming that was a characteristic of all macaws.
Well, he did chew the quarter-round off a length of kitchen cabinets when I wasn't looking, and the silicon grips off a stainless steel pot, and, and... so maybe shredding is a universal characteristic. That said, it's usually the softer materials like cardboard... or my clothes hamper if I'm not careful. :)

In relative terms, Jericho will easily open an almond shell, but not a walnut, while Oscar will open a walnut (beak size is a factor here of course).

I'd describe a Severe as "big small macaw", and a Military as a "small big macaw"... with a large gap between them, but your GW could easily have been > +50% Oscar's weight.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I personally jumped over the list of vocabulary-- to me, I found I have been happier w/ the birds personality, not so much vocabulary...
Definately a personal decision...
Agreed... included for completeness. :)

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Agreed... included for completeness. :)
Appreciated. Not sure how much of a factor talking is, but it was one of my favorite aspects when I considered Eclectus (past that now, my 1 3/8" bar gap is a bit large for Eclectus...).

Side question: We live in the country, with dozens (at least) of walnut trees on our 121 acres (and some pecans). I've always been curious if it was a good idea to give macaws the entire fruit and let them rip it down to the nut inside? For those unfamiliar with them, walnut fruit is about the size of tennis ball, is very tough and fibrous, and stains anything the juice comes in contact with black. A common way to get to the shells is line your driveway with fruit and drive your car over them a few dozen times... My thoughts are that it would be a wonderful, natural, toy with a prize inside! Squirrels manage to get to the nuts, so I'm sure ANY self respecting macaw wouldn't have a problem getting to the nut shell, although as stated, only the larger ones would be able to crack it.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You're talking BLACK walnuts, right?

I'd think not.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes. Why not? Concerned about the stain or something specific? Just curious...
I know the mess of those things (lived in the country). MESS in all caps.

If it stains us, imagine what it does to the insides of a parrot.

I was told before that the wood could kill a parrot (tannins or something).

Sorry. I err on the side of safety for my feathered friends.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
We have several Black Walnut trees here... but I would NOT give my birds the nuts with the green exterior fruit-- the Tannins are toxic. The crows come in the fall to eat the crushed nuts in the alley. Not that difficult to remove the green part.

I hadn't thought about a problem with the wood... I have used that in the past for a large standing perch, but then my bird didn't chew it up either.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I used to hit up all the grocery stores in early Spring, and offer to buy up their remaining nuts in the shell [after the Christmas holiday]... I've been able to purchase up to 35# for a GOOD price, which used to last my bird crew for the year!

Many stores are willing to sell cheaper so they won't have to bag up remainder to sell an individual bag at a time... I try to remember which stores were willing, and go back the next year!

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
I used to hit up all the grocery stores in early Spring, and offer to buy up their remaining nuts in the shell [after the Christmas holiday]... I've been able to purchase up to 35# for a GOOD price, which used to last my bird crew for the year!

Many stores are willing to sell cheaper so they won't have to bag up remainder to sell an individual bag at a time... I try to remember which stores were willing, and go back the next year!
I was quite surprised that our local chain, HiVee, didn't have nuts this year. Guessing it was a covid thing, since they use to be scooped by the pound.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
None of our supermarkets seem to carry nuts in shell anymore- they all used to at Christmas time but not anymore :(

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Brief status update: Expanded Habitat is having Covid related issues finding material, so I'm still on the wait list for cages.

Went on a 14 hour "bird day" trip with my daughter yesterday (trip report posted elsewhere on this forum). Met a Blue Fronted Amazon and realized I'd be perfectly fine with that size bird. His adoption was pending, so not likely I'll end up with that exact bird, but opened my eyes a bit. Likewise, guessing a smaller macaw, like a red-front, would be fine.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Thanks... meant to provide that link, got rushed.

Elsewhere I've been warned away from Blue Front Amazons. Anyone have any idea why? The bird I meet was, I think 20ish, and seemed quite calm.

Oh, one other tidbit I failed to mention: I had expressed my desire for a Blue Throated Macaw, or perhaps a Military and expressed my understanding that such birds could not be adopted across state bounds. She corrected me and told me that indeed they could, however there was significant CITES paperwork that needs to be approved with the feds prior to actual adoption and transport. She seemed willing to do so should an opportunity arise.

Last edited: