• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If you could pick just one...

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The info on BTMs and travel is correct. People use a gift/donation, thinking it's a loophole, but it's still illegal. It's possible but unlikely that you'd find one in a rescue in your state.

Katy McElroy wrote the eclectus book you mention. She was one of the best breeders and was famous for well-adjusted, healthy cockatoos and eclectus.

If you're interested in multiple people having a relationship with a macaw, your best bet (no guarantees: all birds are individuals) is a blue and gold.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Just an update folks:

We have finalized our cages and have (2) Expandable Habitats on order. Both have internal dimensions of 3' deep, 6' wide, and 5' tall. 1/4 stainless steel bars have a gap of 1 3/8" so non-Macaws are probably out. We expect them to be ready at the end of April (all EH cages are custom built in the USA after the order is placed). One cage will be for my office, the other for the house, with the goal of moving the bird with me every day. Current February weather conditions in NE Missouri remind me that won't be easy year round.

So... we are pretty much set on a Macaw of some type. Thanks to the folks here at AA (and a bunch of other reading), I'm pretty much convinced that:

1) Personalities vary so much within macaws that bird-to-bird species hunting with the intent of finding specific behaviors is not reasonable.
2) We will likely go rescue. St. Louis, Kansas City, and Des Moines are all about 3 hours away - doable as a day trip. Chicago at 6 hours is perhaps doable on a very long day, but those types of trips were easier when I was younger. That said, I'm keeping an eye on Craigslist with a 500 mile search radius.
3) Will look for a bird that chooses me, even if that takes some time. Within limits (a bird that hates women won't work - I have a wife and daughter!).
4) Slight preference to finding a 10-20 year old bird
5) Really would like one with a history of saying more than "Hello".
6) Prefer pure breed to hybrid, but #3 will overrule that.

All that said, would love to find a Blue Throated Macaw here in Missouri (can't be sold to me across state boundaries (or adopted with any type of fee)). If anyone knows of a BTM in another state just in need of a good home, please let me know. I could buy a lessor cage as a temporary home.

Given that a BTM is very unlikely, we are also considering B&Gs and GWs. Although even less likely than a BTM, a hyacinth would be given extreme consideration if #3 held true and it was a rehoming situation, not a pet-store sale.

ps. Strange as it sounds, my daughter works with a guy that has (2) BTMs. He bought one and was given the other one free along with a Ruby (he has a dozen or so birds he keeps in a cage-less bird room). So they DO show up in Missouri... Unfortunately he would like to increase his flock of BTMs, so I have competition!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I obviously, would advise you to get a Greenwing. I've had three and each had it's own personality and it's own warts. Hank was (wild caught) abused for 10 years before I got him and was the meanest bird I've ever known - my first bird, Hank turned out to be my best buddy forever and I still miss him terribly nine years after his death. Jasper was a spoiled hand raised wimpy sweety pie - she loved humans and was a great bird who was completely forgiving and loving to the very last breath. Kitty, I still don't know well. She is a 35 year old lady who has been a pet bird her entire life, yet acts like she has been terribly abused for the entire 35. She's coming round now, but it has been a struggle.

The one thing they all had in common was having the GW personality of common sense and affection and being jokers. Oh yeah - they chew everything, especially antiques, into very small splinters.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
I obviously, would advise you to get a Greenwing. I've had three and each had it's own personality and it's own warts. Hank was (wild caught) abused for 10 years before I got him and was the meanest bird I've ever known - my first bird, Hank turned out to be my best buddy forever and I still miss him terribly nine years after his death. Jasper was a spoiled hand raised wimpy sweety pie - she loved humans and was a great bird who was completely forgiving and loving to the very last breath. Kitty, I still don't know well. She is a 35 year old lady who has been a pet bird her entire life, yet acts like she has been terribly abused for the entire 35. She's coming round now, but it has been a struggle.

The one thing they all had in common was having the GW personality of common sense and affection and being jokers. Oh yeah - they chew everything, especially antiques, into very small splinters.
Hard to argue with that, having been part of a Greenwing family in my past (Casseybird is living with my estranged daughter).

Just trying to be open to a bird that needs me as much as I want it, and the general feeling that my cages will "feel" bigger to smaller macaws. Alas, the office one is using up all the available space, and requiring me to remove one wall shelf as is. Hyacinths feel to me like they need a bird room, not a cage, but that could just be me. I'm hoping to build an outdoor aviary as a play area next summer, but we shall see.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm keeping an eye on Craigslist
Do be sure to have a "looking to adopt" listing of your own on CL. Once you sift through the scammers, you'll be amazed by the number of people looking to rehome their birds.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
My Harlequin Macaw had SUCH A GREAT PERSONALITY! And he learned to mooo after only 3 verbal cues when I took him on car rides... Sure miss him! Had to rehome him when I got remarried into only a small house.
And my Scarlet was an absolute great bird!

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Do be sure to have a "looking to adopt" listing of your own on CL. Once you sift through the scammers, you'll be amazed by the number of people looking to rehome their birds.
Thanks for the hint. Will do that after we have the cages, perhaps slightly before.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I was all set to recommend a female amazon. But then I read about your new cages. There are differences in the macaw species but a lot can be up to the personality of the individual. I'd get some experience handling them. Going to a rescue, even if you have no chance of adopting, might be worth it just so you get an idea of what likes you back. I have a hyacinth. I can't honestly say they are the best because she is the only macaw I have. I do know that while I really like to look at blue and gold macaws, they don't seem to like me back. Green wings do however. So, if I were to try for another macaw, it would be either a blue and gold that I met first and knew liked me, or a female greenwing. If I wanted to buy from a good breeder that I couldn't visit first, I'd go for a DNA sexed female greenwing. That doesn't mean a GW would be best for you. Just that their energy seems to vibe with mine better than blue and golds for whatever reason. You may find the opposite is true for you, but that is where getting some experience comes in.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
I have a hyacinth. I can't honestly say they are the best because she is the only macaw I have.
Hyacinth was always my dream, but for the what I think was the wrong reason: I just love the way they look. A birds personality and relationship with me should be more important than looks.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
That's what I feel about my husband-- HE IS HANDSOME in his own way! But his personality and relationship are SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT! :cheekkiss:
He used to sing well too, until now he can't hear himself...
I think of my dad [92 now]... profoundly deaf since childhood... but BOY, when he bellows out at church-- totally off-key... but PRAISING GOD!

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi, we have at least 1 of each of the macaw species and love every one of them for their special fun and unique personalities that can change with the season. IMO any macaw you decide to add to your life will enhance your life in some way and add a huge amount of dedication and time. No one knows before they add to their family how their new addition is going to affect their lives until they bring them into their home. An addition can fall in love with you, your wife or your kids and change one day when you least expect it. Expectations should be small and flexibility huge. They will act like a child always. Wishing you the best in your search.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Any thoughts on a Military macaw vs. BGs and GWs? An in-state adoption agency (3 hours away) has a special needs one up for adoption (has problems with her feet)

Sarge - a Military Macaw

I'm not concerned about the deformity, although keeping a bird on medications bothers me.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Oddly, finding my tastes in macaws broadening... I could see myself with a Severe as well. Bit small, but that is ok - just makes the cages I have on order all the roomier.

More and more I'm leaning towards "Whatever bird I find that feels right when I meet it".

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Military Macaws are my second favorite - after the GW, of course. Militaries have a reputation for being more assertive and more likely to bite. They are absolutely gorgeous - just look at a picture of one flying.
1614618324153.png 1614618293041.png
As far as this bird's disability goes, it sounds as if she has arthritis in her feet and possibly gout in her joint. Those would require pain meds for life and possibly allipurinol for gout. My Jasper had to have daily pain meds - not much trouble and it always gave me the opportunity to inspect her from nose to tail.

A friend has a 64/65 yo Military, that is show some age, but healthy as a horse, so Sarge has the opportunity to be with you for a long time. She is nicely feathered.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Thanks. Are the meds mail orderable? My nearest Avian vet is a 2 hour drive away, not something I'd like to do on a regular basis... (and I know that doesn't make me an ideal macaw companion).

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
All meds for birds are oderable. There are numerous compounding pharmacies in the US that specialize in compounding medications for animals and mail them to their customers. You will most likely need a prescription from your vet and he would need to see her first. Here is my compounding pharmacy and I'm sure others can give you the names of ones near you.

Elements Pharmacy

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Thanks again!