• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If you could pick just one...

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Hi all. I've enjoyed the warm welcome I've received on my introduction post, but it felt like I should break into the "real" forum <smile>.

Quick summary: 62 years old, prior GW owner (separated via divorce 15 years ago), now semi-retired. Have a significantly younger wife and two teenage kids. We live on a 121 acre farm in the middle of nowhere Missouri, with a wide variety of animals (household birds, cats, and working dog; farm horses, cows, chickens, guinefowl, turkeys, rabbits, etc.). My daytime office is about 500 feet from my house.

Pretty much settled on getting something like a 64x32 cage for the office, and something like a 80x40 cage for the house. When weather permits (call it 300 days a year), plan on taking the bird with me to the office daily. I can afford decent (powder coated) cages, but not ultimate (SS) cages - although I really like the Expandable Habitats products... those would take some time to save up for. I want to at least have the office cage before I do start seriously considering obtaining a bird. At 62, time is not in my favor, but since our log home still has about 6 months of finishing work, I suspect I'd fail most home inspections (doesn't keep us from living there - which we do), so likely will need to bide some time anyhow.

Been spending the last month or so considering what I would like to have, with side-trips down the caging path. I will admit I like color. An African Grey would probably be an ideal bird - but with no offense to AG owners - they just don't appeal to me, nor do Cockatoos. I recently devoured a several hundred page e-book on Eclectus, but suspect I could never have just one - I'd want a pair. Suppose that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Regarding a single bird I'm quite torn. Here is my current understanding in immensely compressed form:

Green Wing: Beautiful, friendly, relatively calm based on my previous experience. Large enough to quickly teach the cats to stay away. [ Our farm dog would take a single session to teach - she learns in one pass what she is allowed to do (chase wild rabbits, eat anything we cull and feed her, but not chase or eat any of the rabbits we raise!), so not worried about her. Worst she does is chase fowl from her food bowl (and seems to enjoy doing so, but never harms them). ] Alas, I've never experienced GWs long term (more than a half-dozen years), and I'm reading here that their personality can change in their later years. I'm seeing GWs on adoption sites fairly regularly.

Blue and Gold: Playful, more energy than GWs, somewhat stronger tendency to bond to one family member, sometimes with aggression to others. Not ideal since my office is also the family TV room which we regularly spend an hour or two each night at (typically watching movies or Netflixing). It would depend on the bird. Very commonly seen on adoption sites. I've never met one I didn't get along with - sometimes to the shock of their keepers.

Blue Throated Macaw: Still more energy, can be clingy (which doesn't bother me). Mechanical geniuses - will need key padlocks to keep it in its cage <smile>. Smaller than BGs, which I'm fine with. I've never seen one on an adoption site.

Amazons: (I know, not a Macaw) Not as colorful, but I hear Yellow Fronts, Panama, and Yellow Shoulder Amazons make wonderful companions. Big enough to meet my desire for a "large bird" (just spent a month with my daughters new Indian Ringneck while it waited out its quarantine time in my office. Nice, spent a lot of shoulder time on me, but just a bit small for my taste). I wasn't really looking at Amazons, but seem to recall seeing them on adoption sites fairly regularly.

Eclectus: (Yeah, I know, really not a Macaw, but please deal with it <lol>) Not completely off my list. Would likely end up with a pair over time (perhaps a year apart). Obviously easy to sex and don't seem to have the "two-birds will bond to each other instead of the human" concern. I find both sexes beautiful. Although I know it varies by individual bird, they have a reputation of having vocabularies that rival an African Greys. That is, admittedly, appealing to me. I've spotted them on adoption pages - but vary rarely.

That leads me to the purpose of this post: Presuming this is a once-in-whats-left-of-my-lifetime decision, which of the above categories would you suggest I eliminate from my current potential list? Alternatively, if for some reason you think only ONE of the above is appropriate for me, which and why?

We are several hours away from the closest rescue sites - so we can visit a few, but not on anything like a weekly basis. Thus the "right bird is the one that selects you" (a process I completely agree with) will be difficult, since exposure to a lot of rescues will not be practical. That said, even if I had my heart set on a specific bird, if we visited and it hated me (as some do just based on gender or other aspects I can't control), I would pass it by and write off the trip as an educational adventure.

Note I'm figuring I likely have about 20 years to go. My brother died at 72, although he abused his body chemically since leaving the army at 22. My father died at 83 accidently. My mother is still alive at 95 although the nursing home she requires would never allow a companion bird. I'm presuming my lovely wife would take over for me when I pass, or my 14 yo daughter...

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Granted, you have a nice list of birds I think you've spent some time reading about. And I think you'll provide ample space and companionship for any of the species you have interest in. This may be of no help in your decision making but if... I had to choose just one.... it would be the bird that needs you the most despite the desires you have in mind for a companion bird. Rescues may not be terribly close to you but you may find one day the bird that speaks to your heart by a simple photo and description by one of those rescues. They are out there and waiting for a great loving home and understanding human willing to make their life better. I would consider an older bird that needs some TLC.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm not really sure if you're trait write up is correct or not.
I know each macaw you mentioned, has all the traits I see in my Greenwing.
All the traits. Some days sweet and friendly. Other days aggressive. Sometimes like people. Other times tries to kill people.
Playful, and very energetic some days, just chills other days. Mine is not super mechanical.

So, what I'm saying is, don't buy on expected traits. You may get them, you may not.
What you see the first year, may be opposite what you see the next year.
And even more changes in the following years.

I believe you get out, what you put in. You learn to love the bird you have.
I believe all macaws are big, boisterous, energetic and love interacting with their people.
They're comical, fun and frustrating.

Amazons are another kettle of fish. ;)
Ekkies, I've only known one.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I do believe GWs may be a bit more of a challenge than Blue and Golds or Blue throated.
But that's like saying lions are easier than tigers.

Amazons are another of my loves. Ask if you want their antics.
The only Ekkie I knew was nice, but not a very outgoing bird. Besides it's beauty, it just didn't draw me.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
I know each macaw you mentioned, has all the traits I see in my Greenwing.

Amazons are another kettle of fish. ;)
Ekkies, I've only known one.
Yeah... I fully understand each has their own personality and live on various spectrums of behavior. One (of many) reasons I'm leaning towards adoption is that I'll get to skip the childhood/teenage years of the bird. I know those are precious, but have had 3 human teenagers grow up in my household so far, and working on two more now. Not sure any sane person would volunteer to add more of that.

Please don't leave me hanging on Amazons - I value your opinion.

Can you provide your impression of the Eclectus? (I understand its a single data point, but with enough such data points, a trend might appear.)

Update: See you posted while I was typing. Thanks.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
She was a Solomon's Isle Ekkie. Sadie was her name.
Her owner had her since a baby, and I knew her for about 6 years.
She was pretty nice, not aggressive normally.
But she just sat on her stand. She do a little chewing on toys, but just didn't interact much.
IMO she just wasn't fun. This is only one bird though, and I'm sure others have widely different views.

Amazons on the other hand are a 100% total blast.
Most fun birds you'll see IMO. I call it the Amazon 'Spice', and it's what I love about them.
That whole jump in with both feet and to heck with everything else.
That eye pinning, tail fanning, ramped up Amazon is a bird to be respected, yet admired.
They join you in dance, song, anything exciting.
They wear their emotions on their sleeve, you always know how their feeling at any given moment.
And for companionship. Nothing's better. They'll quietly keep you company while chattering the whole time.
Waddle across the floor to sit on your knee, or doze on the arm of your chair watching TV with you.
Most are not 'huggable' birds. They like their space, and come to you for touching on their own terms, and their own time.
I have a 1 minute 45 second time limit on how long I can scritch Solomon's head. :laugh: And only before bed, or if he's in a good mood.
Mine is a Mealy. Mostly green, the largest of the Amazons. Lives up to the reputation of gentle giant.
The hot 3 Amazons (double yellow head, blue front, and yellow nape) are for experienced, crazy, or brave owners.
Some of the smaller Amazons are also known for a more gentle calm attitude.
But they all have that 'spice', just to varying degrees.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
My small flock consists of a Severe and a Military which I adopted at separate times (and a Green Cheek Conure, but you didn't mention small birds).

Some bullets from my experience (which may differ from your expectations):
  • I had no affinity for either species before I met them (I was just generally open to "a macaw").
  • Nothing I read about them prior to making the adoption decision could be called a resounding endorsement for either species.
  • Both of these things, I feel, let me approach the adoptions without expectations (as much as possible, anyway).
  • The 12yr old Severe was via a local bird store who facilitates re-homes.
    • I wasn't able to talk to the owner, and wasn't given much history other than, "he doesn't like the grand kids".
    • he came home with me within a few days of making a rather quick decision to adopt (so we had very little familiarity with each other)
  • The 8yr old Military was from an online advert.
    • I talked to the owner, but he had 8 other macaws, so didn't have many details to share specific to my guy other than, "he doesn't like men", (I'm male).
    • he came home with me after the cage I ordered took a month to arrive (I visited 1-2x per week to build familiarity between us)
  • Neither were aggressive, but they also wouldn't readily step up for me when I first met them, let alone fulfill the romantic notion that, "they chose me, and I knew".
  • That said, I saw something in both of them that made me decide to bring each home.
  • Both took a conscious effort to learn their individual personalities, their likes and dislikes, and have the patience and understanding to let them learn me on their own terms, at their own pace.
    • Both responded well to my home and handling, in their own unique individual ways.
  • I went from not imaging either in my life, to not being able to imagine my life without them.
TL;DR - I didn't plan either, they didn't "choose me", yet I love them both dearly.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The hot 3 Amazons (double yellow head, blue front, and yellow nape) are for experienced, crazy, or brave owners.
Nah. We weren't experienced, crazy or brave. I was "Clueless" and took on 2 blue front, dna male, wild caught amazons.

Amazons rule.

What part of Missouri are you in?

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
What part of Missouri are you in?
NE Missouri - about 15 miles from Kirksville (pop ~20K when the colleges are in session). Zip code of Novinger, although that "city" (of 350 people) is 8 miles away.

As I hoped, this process is at least giving me an opportunity to show my 14 yo daughter how to think more like me. Last night we received a link for a (free?) BG in Montana, with cage. Daughter was all over me to pack up and go get it. Its a 1200 mile drive... we know nothing about this bird, and are no longer in a position to just pack-up and leave the farm for 3+ days due to a 100+ chickens, 50+ rabbits, ducks, turkeys, quail (always forget about the quail), etc. Sure the horses and cows wouldn't care, but everything else would. And... did I mention Montana in January? (oddly, did a weather check and its about the same as here - that was somehow disturbing <smile>.)

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
In my effort to try and make as educated decision as possible, are their any recommended books on Amazons? I'm finding a lot of, bluntly, crap books out there. Stumbled on one "Complete guide" that was all of 28 pages long. Opened a preview and it had 4 words per line, about 20 lines per page! Would love to find equivalents to Kirsten Badham's "The Ultimate Guide to Eclectus Parrots". I devoured all 300+ pages of it. Any good references on Macaws would also be appreciated, besides the $400 (used) "The Large Macaws: Their Care, Breeding, and Conservation" by Joanne Abramson & Brian Speer (its already on my want list).

I know that every bird is different, just trying to get back into this with as much information as possible.

FWIW - ExpandableHabitats's cages are growing on me. Just no idea how I'm going to afford them.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hmmmm. I loved Joanie Doss books on amazons but that's me. They're extremely hard to find. She wandered into amazons when she lived in Alaska, totally clueless like I did, and yet wound up with performing zons! Can't remember the quote but she wound up bitten every day for a period of time when she got the first one.

Look for magazine articles. I've met several cool people. Barbara Heidenreich of Good Bird, Inc. Lara Joseph of the Animal Behavior Center.

I have a stash of magazines somewhere.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Bought a Barron's book on Ecletus (just wanted a 2nd reference) - minimal at best. Maybe a 1/4" thick, 94 heavily illustrated pages. Starting to feel like anything that claims "Complete" is anything but. Kind of like "add to cart" being a red sign on breeder pages...

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Update on Barron's - it wasn't as bad as I thought. Basic, but had good sections on feeding, including some home made receipt suggestions that could be batch made and frozen (beans and pasta base, not a substitute for the fresh fruit part). Just an hour or so read due to its overall length.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
I came across an old article that indicated Blue Throated Macaws can't be sold across state lines anymore. Doing a quick search, I found a few legit sites that still seem to be enforcing that (e.g. "Only available to Florida residents" "Only available to Illinois residents". Anybody know the current status of that?

ps. My daughter recently started work at a small, barely surviving the opening of a local PetSmart, non-chain pet store. One of the employees has a pair of BTMs, so hopefully I'll get to meet them soon. It sure would be nice to be able to spend a few hours of face time with representatives of each of the species I'm considering, but that is a dream, or perhaps a fantasy given Covid.

Last edited:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I came across an old article that indicated Blue Throated Macaws can't be sold across state lines anymore. Doing a quick search, I found a few legit sites that still seem to be enforcing that (e.g. "Only available to Florida residents" "Only available to Illinois residents". Anybody know the current status of that?

ps. My daughter recently started work at a small, barely surviving the opening of a local PetSmart, non-chain pet store. One of the employees has a pair of BTMs, so hopefully I'll get to meet them soon. It sure would be nice to be able to spend a few hours of face time with representatives of each of the species I'm considering, but that is a dream, or perhaps a fantasy given Covid.
Certain endangered species cannot be sold over state lines and you will need to offer proof of living in the same state as the breeder when you purchase the bird.

This includes birds like Blue Throated (and many other) Macaw species and some Conures. There are a lot of other birds on this list, so make sure to do some research.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Certain endangered species cannot be sold over state lines and you will need to offer proof of living in the same state as the breeder when you purchase the bird.

This includes birds like Blue Throated (and many other) Macaw species and some Conures. There are a lot of other birds on this list, so make sure to do some research.
In the very unlikely case I could find a BTM rescue - would that still apply? Its not a "sale" per-say.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
In the very unlikely case I could find a BTM rescue - would that still apply? Its not a "sale" per-say.
I’m not sure, I’ve never looked into a species on that list before, and I’ve never read anything about how it applies for rescues. It probably partially depends on the adoption process of the rescue.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think if you want a BTM you’ll need to find one in the state you live in- I think they can move states with you but cannot be acquired from a state different to the one you reside in. I’m not 100% positive so hopefully @Hankmacaw @expressmailtome or @aooratrix might be able to answer with some certainty.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Shezbug is correct. If you pay anything, even an "adoption fee", you must live in the same state that the bird resides.
What if the rescue called it a “donation” instead of an “adoption fee” I’ve seen rescues do that before, would it still apply?