• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If I were to dehydrate the veggies....how long should I dehydrate them?

Karnkate

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
Should I do it until they are crispy, or just squishy?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends on when you are serving and how you plan to store. If you are only doing it until squishy it is still a perishable food, and would still need to treated essentially as a fresh product. If you are trying to make it last longer and shelf stable, you need to do it until it is totally dry. This can take 6 to 12 hours depending on the thickness, etc

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Depends on when you are serving and how you plan to store. If you are only doing it until squishy it is still a perishable food, and would still need to treated essentially as a fresh product. If you are trying to make it last longer and shelf stable, you need to do it until it is totally dry. This can take 6 to 12 hours depending on the thickness, etc
When squishy if not properly stored, its a breeding ground for mold. It's my opinion that unless your trying to give texture to the item into something like soup/stew or chili that you should take them to crispy level.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I also think that its best to over do them than to under do them with the drying.
We have had to leave some things in the dehydrator for 24 hrs to ensure they are properly dried but this is usually things like tomato halves (yummy dried with some garlic on them) or when the weather has been really humid.