• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Idk where to post this but why is my cockatiel pooping so big?

Monsis

Moving in
Real Name
monsis
Okay so my female cockatiel started a couple weeks ago pooping so big like big. And it’s not just one time it’s every time she poops. I don’t know if I should be worried or if it’s normal.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
We really need a picture of the poop to give you any opinions at all. Also her diet and how old she is.

Monsis

Moving in
Real Name
monsis
We really need a picture of the poop to give you any opinions at all. Also her diet and how old she is.
I don’t have any pictures right now because I just cleaned her, but she is nine years old and I feed her regular seeds and I mix fruits or veggies in it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The picture of the poop you sent looks fine. Their poop will vary in size according to what and how much they eat.

If you are only feeding her seeds, veggies and fruit she may have a vitamin deficiency. She almost certainly has a D3 and Vit A deficiency.

@Tiel Feathers

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I highly suggest converting to pellets. You say you feed seeds with fruits/veggies, but the plastic dish pictured has round, flat, rainbow pellets. Not sure what's going on here. The dyed/flavored pellets are not very healthy, I recommend Harrisons, roudybush, or almost any other unflavored and not dyed pellets. Cockatiels are grainavores so they should have seed in their diet, too, but not only seed.

That size of poop is definitely a normal sized morning poop, but you say it happens all throughout the day. Does she ever have smaller poop or is it only the big ones? How often does she poop?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sometimes females will hold their poop if they are thinking of their cage as nest and getting ready to lay. Then when they do go, it is larger than normal. Has she been acting hormonal lately? As mentioned, morning poops are often sometimes large. How many times a day is she pooping? Does her vent look okay? Is she flighted? Also, you should try to convert her diet to include some pellets. Any fortified kind she will eat is better than no pellets.