• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Idk what to do (Sad Update #10)

Coconut

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lucas Seitun
My cockatiel, Coconut, has been very very weak lately. She's not eating or drinking and I can't force feed her because she's too weak for even that, she has what looks like seizures every once in a while but I'm not sure they are. Rarely she opens her eyes but I'm not sure she's there, I took her to the vet once and she was okay, got injectable nutrients, vitamins and calcium and she improved a bit but then crashed, went a second time and they recommend I put her down since there doesn't seem to be a chance. I don't know if what to do... maybe I shouldn't ask for advice on this here but I'm really lost..

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did the vet say what was wrong with her?
Is there a different vet you can go to?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Calcium deficiency was the most likely culprit, heavy metal poisoning was likely too. But in the end what ended up causing things to get really bad was her basically starving, she can't eat on her own and she can't swallow. Every vet even the one I went to is a really far trip, I went a few times to recheck and give her the medicine and supplements. I don't know anymore, she's so limp it looks like she's already dead unless you look really closely and notice the faint breathing or she seizes out of nowhere... I want her to get better so bad but idk anymore...

I would definitely be heading back to the vet asap, get to the bottom of what is going on and then go from there.
If she´s suffering from heavy metal poisoning, then you´ll need to identify the cause and rectify it. If it´s nutrition related, look to better her diet, discuss a supplement with your vet.
Ultimately, if she is not responding to treatment and she is suffering, giving her a dignified death is something to consider.

Coconut

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lucas Seitun
Calcium deficiency was the most likely culprit, heavy metal poisoning was likely too. But in the end what ended up causing things to get really bad was her basically starving, she can't eat on her own and she can't swallow. Every vet even the one I went to is a really far trip, I went a few times to recheck and give her the medicine and supplements. I don't know anymore, she's so limp it looks like she's already dead unless you look really closely and notice the faint breathing or she seizes out of nowhere... I want her to get better so bad but idk anymore...

I would definitely be heading back to the vet asap, get to the bottom of what is going on and then go from there.
If she´s suffering from heavy metal poisoning, then you´ll need to identify the cause and rectify it. If it´s nutrition related, look to better her diet, discuss a supplement with your vet.
Ultimately, if she is not responding to treatment and she is suffering, giving her a dignified death is something to consider.
She doesn't respond to treatment, we treated both of those things and yeah she improved a little but not long after she got so much worse. Idk if the stress is getting to her as well... She always had a varied diet with pellets, seed, greens and fruits and everything in moderation. Today she goes in for another injection so she doesn't die of thirst or starvation, I just wish I could know if she has a chance or if she's slowly dying... I don't want her to suffer... She's only 5.....

Coconut

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lucas Seitun
She still sometimes moves her tongue a little inside her mouth, does that mean anything?

Coconut

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lucas Seitun
And her eyes constantly move under her eyelids, is she still there?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am so sorry. I would contact your vet right away.

Coconut

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lucas Seitun
I am so sorry. I would contact your vet right away.

I did but she's out of the country, there are no other nearby avian vets. Only thing is a regular vet with some very basic experience but willing to give her the shots she needs, just idk if they're working. Maybe I should post a photo of her? Idk

She's been like this for days and yesterday which is the last time I went to the vet she said that she was amazed Coconut was still alive. Is it normal for birds this sick to survive this long?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: