• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Idk how to bathe him!

Cheese

Moving in
So I have had my male lovebird for around 4 months now. He HATES my hand, (not tame) and he hates to bathe. I have sprayed him down with mist around 4 times so far, and I place a bath bowl for him almost every week, he shows no interest, when misting him he freaks out and I don’t know what to do anymore. Any ideas on encouraging him to bathe? I have tried the vacuum and rain doing thing, not working. Please help.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My birds hate being misted.
All you can do it offer the shallow bowl of water. Try different sized bowls and plates. He will bathe eventually.
My birds love bathing under the tap. I cup my hands and let room temp water fill my hands. I only open the tap a little so it is gentle. For Aldora, she doesn't come to my hand at all, I turn the tap on over the draining board.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You could try providing bathing opportunities in different ways. Here's some ideas!
  • Try luke-warm water
  • Try cold water
  • Try ice-cold water
  • Try a spray bottle
  • Try a plant mister
  • Try in the sink with the water running or just some water in the bottom
  • Try in the sink with the sprayer
  • Try in the tub with some water in the bottom
  • Try a casserole dish or similar with some water
  • Try the dish with ice
  • Try the dish with foot toys
  • Try the dish with some small rocks or pebbles
  • Try the dish with some leafy greens like endive or other types of lettuces that may create a "natural" bowl
  • Try the dish with a vacuum cleaner running
  • Try in the shower with you - watching you having a blast getting wet!
  • Try dancing the bird into the shower with the water already going
  • Try spritzing yourself, and have fun doing it! Then spritz the bird
  • Try outside in an empty cage large enough to spread wings during a nice rain shower
  • Try outside in an empty cage using the hose with a mist/shower attachment
  • Try playing videos of other birds bathing

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
My previous lovebird was the same! It took a while for him to bathe! I read somewhere that you gotta show them how to play with toys so I figures you do the same with bathing! I took a glass bowl so we can see the water through it and I used a spoon to splash water around and make it drip in the bowl! I would make funny sounds as if I was having he time of my life. It sounds ridiculous but eventually my bird came to the bowl and started playing with the water too and eventually took a bath! I did the same with tap water in the sink and seing me having fun he eventually started playing too!
did the same process with mg new lovebird and she is now bathing by herself too!

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
My birds hate being misted.
All you can do it offer the shallow bowl of water. Try different sized bowls and plates. He will bathe eventually.
My birds love bathing under the tap. I cup my hands and let room temp water fill my hands. I only open the tap a little so it is gentle. For Aldora, she doesn't come to my hand at all, I turn the tap on over the draining board.
alright, that's the happiest bird taking a bath, cuteness overload. oh my gosh.
My lovebird also hates to be misted. It must be a bath and "her idea".

where did you get that bird bath? I've been looking for something with running water because my sink is never clean haha but jupiter loves running water baths.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
where did you get that bird bath? I've been looking for something with running water because my sink is never clean haha but jupiter loves running water baths.
It is a electric dog drinking fountain. I bought a planter dish from home depot and drilled some holes in it so it would drain. It is washed and drain after ever use. Was on sale for $14 when I bought it.

isYoung Dog Fountain, 84oz/2.5L Pet Fountain Automatic Water Dispenser for Dogs and Cats, Healthy and Hygienic Dog Fountain Pet Supplies : isYoung Dog Fountain, 84oz/2.5L Pet Fountain Automatic Water Dispenser for Dogs and Cats, Healthy and Hygienic Dog Fountain : Amazon.com

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
This is the winner for my lovebird. It took her awhile to bathe also, but this she hopped in and did her thing.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
This is the winner for my lovebird. It took her awhile to bathe also, but this she hopped in and did her thing.
I have that for Loki, only thing she does is drink from it like a dodo bird. I bought another home depot planter and she bathes in that too without the fountain.