• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Identifying a wasp/bee nest

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
Hi! I know this is off topic but I love this community and would rather post this here than any other forum :grouphug2:

Not too long ago my parents decided to renovate their bedroom.
When they had to tear part of the wall open to place their new insulation they discovered this: 9A26351F-2BFC-4368-8C6D-19C67042FD22.jpeg
D2C2B370-F2FE-4286-8AF1-B2C3F7E1C31F.jpeg
It was already abandoned, thankfully. I think it is a wasp nest but i am not entirely sure. I have looked up examples of both bee and wasp nests but they look similar and the colors can be very specific to one type of bee/wasp.

This is what it looked like taken apart:
0B8B833A-7971-45EE-AC37-C30ADEE1ED57.jpeg
Thank you guys in advance! :hug7:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I think that is a wasp or hornet nest based on what the outside looks like but not positive. Was there any honey or pollen caps at all?

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
I think that is a wasp or hornet nest based on what the outside looks like but not positive. Was there any honey or pollen caps at all?
I was out of town when my mom took it down so I wasn’t there myself to see it. I solely have the pictures to go off of. However, we think the nest had been there for a long time, it was completely dry. The nest was empty apart from what was left of the colony, now dead. The insects themselves would have solved the mystery but my mom assumed they were wasps and threw everything away before I even knew the nest ever existed :facepalm:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I immediately think of a paper wasp. Those are usually pretty smallish though. Hornets look similar but are larger. So depends a bit on size!