• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Identify My Rescue Amazon

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
She’s pretty small I think. I don’t have amazon experience, but the bird store who does my grooming ruled it out due to her size.

You can see a few stray yellow feathers on the top of her head and they also have that tinge of red/orange.

View attachment 315585
I am still sticking to my first thought ;) Kazoo has the same yellow with red feathers on his head. She also has the scalloping of darker feathers on her nape.

Anyway you can get a few full body pics out of the cage in natural day light? You should see a silvery powder like color on her back if she's a Mealy.

Any band on her leg?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
20181118_162400.jpg
Color of feet can also be another indicator. Wing culverts are red. Flights are red and black to a very dark blue.

20181118_162245.jpg
The dusted light silvery look. Mealy named after looking like they were dusted with flour.
20180712_214808.jpg
His red and yellow. He is just alittle over 10. The yellow feather showed up a few years ago, but there was just one and it would fall out. The last year plus it came in with red. As a baby he had none at all. His 2 sisters both had red and yellow at 16 weeks.
20190919_205323.jpg
I hope as he gets older this will come in more. If not, he's beautiful even just as he is. :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Responses received so far... :)

Diane M
- Looks like a double yellow head Amazon

Tom S - Pics of most different Amazons on this link. http://animal-world.com/encyclo/birds/amazons/Amazons.htm

Michelle L - I would guess one parent was a Panama.

Adrianne M - It's not a mealy.

Justin W - Nape x yellow crown?

Steve D - Looks like a hybrid to me.

Tony S - Those are called “blueberry” Amazons in Miami, where there is a growing feral population. They contain the blood of Blue-front, Orange-wing and a few others. Over many decades I have seen the evolution of this Miami form.

Steve D - We have some hybrids out here too (California)

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Thanks. I took her to get groomed and the bird store said maybe red Lored Amazon based off her size and other factors.
She'd have blue feathers on her head if and the eyes would be red, not amber, if she was a red lored.

My gut reaction is it's a yellow crowned or yellow naped because of the bill horn colour along with toes/nails and eye colour, but not knowing the weight or wing span/length makes it harder to guess.

And in terms of size I'd look up Dr McDonald's weight chart there can be an incredible range in weight even within a species. One of my yellow naped amazons weighs 570gr and another is 490gr. Neither is overweight. One has a massive yellow patch of feathers on her nape and the other only has a few with some orange along the tips. Both are older birds.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think its a hybrid. Something about the beak says yellow front and the red orange on the head looks kind of red lored to me. I could be wrong on the mix, but I think its a hybrid.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
A couple more....

Tony S (in response to Steve D) - this is the evolution of the “blueberry”. This is how they looked two generations ago. This form has adapted to nesting later so as not to compete with their ancestors and they utilize the roof of homes rather than trees.

Adam W - Orange wing x Yellow Nape.