• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideas on Puzzles/Toys for Cage

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
I am trying to find some toys/puzzles/something fun for Tweety and Little Lemon. Much space is on the bottom but they do not go down there unless a thing of millets sits there. Anything else will get bird waste on. Well, so do the millets. So any toy idea for the floor of cage will get soiled daily. Or maybe there can be something down there they will be smart enough not to poop on?

The top of the cage also is kind of bare. Has a bowl of food on top they eat from when they fly out, and a wooden stick, that holds the hair-tie rope inside, that Little Lemon seems to like pecking at.

As you see the cage in the attached image, they typically hang on the perches and swings.

I think they would love to play with, or just ignore, some new toys or puzzles, but I hate to make the inside crowded with hanging things or more perches, and take away flapping space inside, or have stuff on the bottom that needs constant washing.

When the cage is in the bedroom, other than some fly bys while I am at the desk, they stay in the cage or on top.

When the cage is in the living room, they stay in the cage or on top, or the part of the couch that Little Lemon plays with the blinds string.

I just want to see if some can give some base ideas on what you got in your cages that maybe be something I can consider or work off of.

Thanks.

Attachments

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Mine have a dog puzzle bowl on the floor of their cage, I can use it as is or make it harder. Yes, it gets pooped on but it's really easy to give a quick wash. If you keep an eye on the cage paper you can get a good guess as the best spot to place things to avoid poo ;).
20221219_132733.jpg

Last edited:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I use to make and sell a Beaded Millet Holder, you put the millet in the spiral shape. So if you have something similar to that it would be able to hang on the side of the cage and not get pooped on.

MilletHolder-withMillet1a85k.jpg
Easy to make, I used stainless steel wire, string beads on
then coil it up then stretch it out some. Wrap it around millet.

So items below do not get pooped on make a large enough wooden platform (shelf) and mount it in the upper section of the cage on one side or the other and you can put stuff on the shelf. Might be able to secure it somehow so it does not fall off.

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
The dog bowl idea looks fun, just need a small one, and I might just buy one of those cute millet holders (as the cost to buy the stuff to make it costs the same).

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
How about foraging trays? you just need a plastic tray or shallow cardboard box, fill it up with bird safe materials ( crinkle paper, gumnuts, pinecones, foliage etc.. ) and sprinkle seeds around.
It will get pooped on, but you can spot clean it
foraging trays can be used out of the cage as well : )
1685105488695.png
not my image

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
I could combine that idea with the puzzle dog bowl. :)

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
So what I have done, so far, was grabbing a multi egg carton when I was working the food pantry one morning.

They have two cups of food in the cage. One for pellets. One with a fruit/veggie blend mix, which they toss out the fruits and veggies and only go for the seeds and millets in it. As a third source of food I have a regular seed mix and I use that out of the cage for this.

I added the seed mix I have to the egg carton. I put in crumpled paper. They have to move and toss some of the paper to get to the food. I keep it on top of the cage, giving them a reason to fly out.

Here are some images. I removed the hollow, plastic blue eggs later since they either can not move them with all their mighty bird might, or they ignore it.

Attachments

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I love the idea of using the egg crate for foraging! Brilliant, I say!

avian2023

Strolling the yard
How about foraging trays? you just need a plastic tray or shallow cardboard box, fill it up with bird safe materials ( crinkle paper, gumnuts, pinecones, foliage etc.. ) and sprinkle seeds around.
It will get pooped on, but you can spot clean it
foraging trays can be used out of the cage as well : )
View attachment 429766
not my image
You added the details very clear.. please dont mind me asking again :) this idea looks very interesting and i wanted to start with my budgies. Can you please let me know the type of foliage you used like brand and bird safe things like that so that i can search for them in usa local stores.. gumnuts this is new to me and very happy to learn newthings and new idea.. and thanks for sharing.. your friend looks so cute and loads of fun and active for some reason the first look itself tells lot of mischief and enthusiasm may be from that training and activities.. my budgies will be very very active and cant stop them chirping for like 10 minutes right after i play with them..which makes my day more cheerful..