• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideas for adding 'stress', to stop her laying

Kori

Walking the driveway
Well, she's now had her fourth egg and going by her weight / shape, she'll have her fifth tomorrow :arghh:
I have all new toys in the cage this week and change them around daily - would a day of removing ALL toys add a bit of stress?

How about sending her to stay with a friend for a weekend? Friend has one elderly budgie, but I don't think they'd have to be in the same room. She has offered to take her any time.
I am mostly housebound due to my health and so we have a very strong bond. I think being apart from me would definitely stress her, makes me feel awful to think about it.

Next week I plan on buying blackout curtains for the room she sleeps in. Also considering getting a full spectrum lamp for the day. She is out for several hours in the day but she'd get some time under the lamp first thing while I'm making coffee and at lunch time. I could stretch that to 1-2 hours - would that be enough?

I've moved the position of her cage. It's not a major change because there's not too many options in this small apartment. But she did notice the change. The problem with this girly is that she is pretty much fearless and adjusts quickly!
Thankfully she is recovering quickly after each egg and seems as energetic as normal, but still I want to stop this as soon as I can.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I also tried all the advice to stop my chronic egg laying tiel. Moving her cage so that it was not against any walls and out in the open helped. My tiel also had Lupron injections. I wish you success in finding a solution...

Kori

Walking the driveway
I also tried all the advice to stop my chronic egg laying tiel. Moving her cage so that it was not against any walls and out in the open helped. My tiel also had Lupron injections. I wish you success in finding a solution...
Thank you x Did your tiel respond to the injections?
I'll try a cage position that is not against a wall / window.

I was advised not to send her to stay with a friend, even for a very short time, while she is still actively laying eggs. Could be too stressful.
She laid her 5th egg - from her perch this time!! She is looking like she will have a 6th. Sigh. Seems fine, just taking the odd extra long nap.
She is loving the new toys, no fear or nerves lol.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
She did respond to the injections. The first time it stopped her for 5 months. I would only get them for her once or twice a year. It seems after awhile, they become tolerant of the lupron and it is not as effective.There is also an implant available but don't know if it can be used in a bird as small as a budgie.

My tiel actually slowed down in her egg laying this year. Thought I was making progress with her. Sadly, only about 3 weeks ago, she became egg bound and passed away during surgery to remove the eggs.

Kori

Walking the driveway
She did respond to the injections. The first time it stopped her for 5 months. I would only get them for her once or twice a year. It seems after awhile, they become tolerant of the lupron and it is not as effective.There is also an implant available but don't know if it can be used in a bird as small as a budgie.

My tiel actually slowed down in her egg laying this year. Thought I was making progress with her. Sadly, only about 3 weeks ago, she became egg bound and passed away during surgery to remove the eggs.
I'm so very sorry. It's every hen owners nightmare, so sorry you have to live it. Sounds like you did everything you possibly could.