• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideal cockatiel diet...

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
None of your business :)
What I look for in a pellet:

- fortified with essential vitamins
- company history (formulation, recall history, etc). Example: Roudybush, Harrison's, and Hagen were all developed by vets. Lafeber has well known veterinary consults.
- how long it has been around
- feeding trials

What I try to avoid but am flexible on:

- sugar
- dyes

What I actually would prefer to avoid:

- brands that use a lot of buzz words, especially to tear down other brands.
- several sources of sugar. One is enough!
- brands with a shady history (Kaytee, bird mills)
- lack of Vitamin D3

There are very few brands I avoid. I don't like Kaytee but if I had no choice I would feed it, as it does have a long history and multiple options, is easy to find and affordable.

I will not feed my parrot TOPS as the sole pellet (if he would even eat it, out of 5 parrots only one has ever nibbled on it). I honestly prefer to avoid it completely.
Is veta farm a reliable company?

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
Her name is Alsing. It means "to fly" in the Mi'kmaq language. Although, I should have named her "Chaos" or something more fitting to her personality.
wow! she does look just like my little willow! i love the chaotic energy of the tiels! gotta love ‘em!

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
wow! she does look just like my little willow! i love the chaotic energy of the tiels! gotta love ‘em!
:D Ya their either getting into trouble or napping. lol. Willow is such a cute name ! Got a bigger photo of Willow? Did you get Willow sexed?

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
:D Ya their either getting into trouble or napping. lol. Willow is such a cute name ! Got a bigger photo of Willow? Did you get Willow sexed?
yes we did! all birds at the breeder i’m getting her from dna sexes all birds and disease tests before they allow potential owners to come in to visit.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I was about to ask you well what her sex was, then realized you mentioned her as a "her". lol. Awesome, our tiels could be twin sisters ! haha

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@WinniePooh Mizzely hopefully will give you her take on what she knows of the brand soon. Edit: she did while I was typing lol

This is their about information on their linkedin profile-

About us
Vetafarm has a passion to produce health solutions that directly improve the quality of life for all animals, while educating and understanding their human caretakers. Vetafarm was inspired from the passion of two veterinarians who innovated new solutions to medical issues that had no existing treatments. In 1990, Vetafarm registered the world’s first Psittacosis treatment – Australia’s first companion bird medicine! Dr Tony Gestier took sole ownership of Vetafarm and began developing even more innovative solutions for animals of all kinds – small animals, reptiles, dogs & cats, zoo, marine and more. Today, our team is built of over 60 passionate people and we have developed over 400 speciality animal products - and we’re just getting started. We pride ourselves on our passionate team and our desire to innovate and apply quality in all that we do. Our work allows us the privilege of connecting people with their animals – from pet owners, veterinarians, carers and animal lovers everywhere.

All breeders I know of or have heard of rely on Vetafarm products, all wildlife carers I know use many of their products, all vets I know either use or stock something made by vetafarm- I am happy to use them and both my large birds actually prefer their pellets to any other brand I have offered them- vetafarm is also always avail for me and is not as expensive as the imported brands I mix into the pellet mix.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@WinniePooh Mizzely hopefully will give you her take on what she knows of the brand soon. Edit: she did while I was typing lol

This is their about information on their linkedin profile-

About us
Vetafarm has a passion to produce health solutions that directly improve the quality of life for all animals, while educating and understanding their human caretakers. Vetafarm was inspired from the passion of two veterinarians who innovated new solutions to medical issues that had no existing treatments. In 1990, Vetafarm registered the world’s first Psittacosis treatment – Australia’s first companion bird medicine! Dr Tony Gestier took sole ownership of Vetafarm and began developing even more innovative solutions for animals of all kinds – small animals, reptiles, dogs & cats, zoo, marine and more. Today, our team is built of over 60 passionate people and we have developed over 400 speciality animal products - and we’re just getting started. We pride ourselves on our passionate team and our desire to innovate and apply quality in all that we do. Our work allows us the privilege of connecting people with their animals – from pet owners, veterinarians, carers and animal lovers everywhere.

All breeders I know of or have heard of rely on Vetafarm products, all wildlife carers I know use many of their products, all vets I know either use or stock something made by vetafarm- I am happy to use them and both my large birds actually prefer their pellets to any other brand I have offered them- vetafarm is also always avail for me and is not as expensive as the imported brands I mix into the pellet mix.
Sounds like a solid background :)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
(I lied and stole yours) Don't worry, you can have it back. :cantwait:

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
Haha. So you don't have Willow from the breeder yet? Have you owned a cockatiel before?
i don’t have her yet as she is still only 6 weeks old and hand feeding 3x a day. i do visit her almost every other day though! she is my first bird but i have been working with birds by volunteering at the breeders store for almost two years now.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
i don’t have her yet as she is still only 6 weeks old and hand feeding 3x a day. i do visit her almost every other day though! she is my first bird but i have been working with birds by volunteering at the breeders store for almost two years now.
You are very lucky to be able to visit her :) I got my tiel at 8 weeks old, which was probably a bit early but the breeder said she was weeened for two weeks. She said my tiel was a fast learner because she was the youngest of the clutch, and she was also the loudest haha. There are no breeders in my area so I couldn’t visit her beforehand.