• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideal cockatiel diet...

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
im sorry if i came across in a negative way. i’ve heard a few negative things about the brand in the past about the sugar being a bit higher than other brands but it was never my intent to come across in a negative way. id something works well for you and your bird than that’s a good thing. diet is definitely not a one size fits all situation and it’s different for every bird. so i apologize if i came across as pellet shaming, it wasn’t at all my intent.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am also sorry if I came across harshly as that was not my intent :) It was also not directed at you guys either. :hug4:

macaronish

Hit the Road
im sorry if i came across in a negative way. i’ve heard a few negative things about the brand in the past about the sugar being a bit higher than other brands but it was never my intent to come across in a negative way. id something works well for you and your bird than that’s a good thing. diet is definitely not a one size fits all situation and it’s different for every bird. so i apologize if i came across as pellet shaming, it wasn’t at all my intent.
Not shaming at all! I was asking for advice and I'm open to improving, my number one priority is my birds health. I currently have zupreem and will feed it until its gone as long as it isn't poison along with seed and fresh veggies, I was just looking for recommendations of other pellets to mix in, better seed mixes to buy in the future and other diet recommendations which is exactly what you provided. I'd be happy to do a 50/50 split of feeding zupreem and a healthier pellet so long as I can source it and it's in my budget for example

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
These are some UK online shops. Bear in mind that some of these also sell poor quality seed and toys so you have to use your judgement, but they do offer reputable foods like Harrisons, Roudybush, Psittacus, Zupreem and similar. It's easier to find quality pellets in these stores rather than on Amazon.

Scarlett's Parrot Essentials Scarletts Parrot Essentials - Toys, Cages, Stands and More!
Parrot Essentials Parrot Supplies | Parrot Shop | Parrot Accessories - Parrot Essentials
Northern Parrots Parrot Supplies | Parrot Shop | Parrot Accessories | Northern Parrots
Garden Feathers Bird Toys Garden Feathers Bird Supplies | Poultry Supplies | Cage and Aviary Bird Supplies | Parrot Supplies | Racnig Pigeon Supplies | North East England

I'm currently feeding Roudybush and Psittacus. I've fed undyed P15 in the past. I've also offered Harrisons, Hagan Tropican and TOPs in the past, all of which they refused.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is definitely not poison. It literally saved my bird's life, which is part of why I am passionate (sometimes too passionate :lol:) about it. :)

It took me about 3 years to get him off the Zupreem Fruity, he's now eating Harrison's and Psittacus mostly. I also really like Hagen but yeah it's a Canadian brand so even in the US we don't always have easy access to it! Roudybush is another you can look into for sugar/dye free.

macaronish

Hit the Road
These are some UK online shops. Bear in mind that some of these also sell poor quality seed and toys so you have to use your judgement, but they do offer reputable foods like Harrisons, Roudybush, Psittacus, Zupreem and similar. It's easier to find quality pellets in these stores rather than on Amazon.

Scarlett's Parrot Essentials Scarletts Parrot Essentials - Toys, Cages, Stands and More!
Parrot Essentials Parrot Supplies | Parrot Shop | Parrot Accessories - Parrot Essentials
Northern Parrots Parrot Supplies | Parrot Shop | Parrot Accessories | Northern Parrots
Garden Feathers Bird Toys Garden Feathers Bird Supplies | Poultry Supplies | Cage and Aviary Bird Supplies | Parrot Supplies | Racnig Pigeon Supplies | North East England

I'm currently feeding Roudybush and Psittacus. I've fed undyed P15 in the past. I've also offered Harrisons, Hagan Tropican and TOPs in the past, all of which they refused.
Omg... I'm obsessed with some of those toys and stands.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I’ve ordered from others but never from garden feathers thank you for link @tka

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not shaming at all! I was asking for advice and I'm open to improving, my number one priority is my birds health. I currently have zupreem and will feed it until its gone as long as it isn't poison along with seed and fresh veggies, I was just looking for recommendations of other pellets to mix in, better seed mixes to buy in the future and other diet recommendations which is exactly what you provided. I'd be happy to do a 50/50 split of feeding zupreem and a healthier pellet so long as I can source it and it's in my budget for example
I feed a few kinds of zupreem. It is totally safe and fine to feed. Many of us here feed zupreem pellets.
I personally won’t feed TOPS as it lacks important nutrients my birds need.
Whatever pellet works for you and yours is the best pellet.

I believe much of the push of the tops brand comes from BT’s followers. They shame many other pellets and make them sound like total rubbish. I’ve had a vet screw their nose up at the mention of tops, they suggested many other brands (with small amounts of sugar!) but did not recommend tops. Other vets I’m sure would be the opposite.

Sugars are not the enemy unless fed in abundance.

macaronish

Hit the Road
I feed a few kinds of zupreem. It is totally safe and fine to feed. Many of us here feed zupreem pellets.
I personally won’t feed TOPS as it lacks important nutrients my birds need.
Whatever pellet works for you and yours is the best pellet.

I believe much of the push of the tops brand comes from BT’s followers. They shame many other pellets and make them sound like total rubbish. I’ve had a vet screw their nose up at the mention of tops, they suggested many other brands (with small amounts of sugar!) but did not recommend tops. Other vets I’m sure would be the opposite.

Sugars are not the enemy unless fed in abundance.
I would assume some sugars are good? Birds do eat fruit and veg which naturally contain sugar. Cockatiels not so much fruit but they do eat carrots and sweet potato etc which have a tonne of sugars. I imagine carbs are good for activities like flight but I'm no expert

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Carbs are necessary, yes. Simple sugars are not as ideal as sugars that come from fruits because the fiber in fruit helps prevent a glucose spike.

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
None of your business :)
I give my cockatiel:
Pellets which are vetafarm brand, seeds with Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 8.58.09 am.png , and i give him chop everyday

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
in addition to this, to better educate myself for the future what are some of the pros and cons of some of the more popular brands of pellets? I am nowhere near perfect and I am definitely open to learning and improving as much as I can to give better advice in the future and for my own bird once I bring her home. most of what I know is referring to birds with very varied diets and/or birds with health/dietary issues that were surrendered to the store, which isn't the widest variety of experience since we typically stick to rowdybush, tops and intune (typically a blend of 2 of the above depending on what the bird prefers or on health conditions) as well as a couple seed mixes and vegetables in addition. so what are some of the goods, and bads of different brands that you guys know of?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What I look for in a pellet:

- fortified with essential vitamins
- company history (formulation, recall history, etc). Example: Roudybush, Harrison's, and Hagen were all developed by vets. Lafeber has well known veterinary consults.
- how long it has been around
- feeding trials

What I try to avoid but am flexible on:

- sugar
- dyes

What I actually would prefer to avoid:

- brands that use a lot of buzz words, especially to tear down other brands.
- several sources of sugar. One is enough!
- brands with a shady history (Kaytee, bird mills)
- lack of Vitamin D3

There are very few brands I avoid. I don't like Kaytee but if I had no choice I would feed it, as it does have a long history and multiple options, is easy to find and affordable.

I will not feed my parrot TOPS as the sole pellet (if he would even eat it, out of 5 parrots only one has ever nibbled on it). I honestly prefer to avoid it completely.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I thought zupreem fruity pellets tasted like fruit loops. lol. My budgies took a while to transfer from them to all-natural pellets, but it happened over the course of maybe 5 - 6 months:D

If you can get your bird to eat Roudybush or Harrisons I think they are great pellets. Zupreem natural isn't too bad either.

I wouldn't feed sunflower or safflower seeds all the time. I would reserve very few as a treat, or sprout them to remove some fat content. Organic seeds have a better chance of sprouting.

If you can get your bird to eat kale, brocolli, carrots, sprouts, and boiled egg once a week , that would be the near-perfect diet. However, it does take some planning and effort to offer it three times a day, as you should remove wet foods from the cage after 2-4 hours. Then you can also dehydrate veggies as well. They last a full day in the cage this way :) Lots of birds are fussy, so the perfect diet doesn't always work, which is why pellets is important. My budgies would go crazy over Kale, but my cockatiel takes some nibbles then ignores it. My tiel does like carrots and brocolli, but sadly the raw broccoli here has not been worth buying much this winter( spoils too fast or already molding or dark in the grocery store)

Last edited:

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
What I look for in a pellet:

- fortified with essential vitamins
- company history (formulation, recall history, etc). Example: Roudybush, Harrison's, and Hagen were all developed by vets. Lafeber has well known veterinary consults.
- how long it has been around
- feeding trials

What I try to avoid but am flexible on:

- sugar
- dyes

What I actually would prefer to avoid:

- brands that use a lot of buzz words, especially to tear down other brands.
- several sources of sugar. One is enough!
- brands with a shady history (Kaytee, bird mills)
- lack of Vitamin D3

There are very few brands I avoid. I don't like Kaytee but if I had no choice I would feed it, as it does have a long history and multiple options, is easy to find and affordable.

I will not feed my parrot TOPS as the sole pellet (if he would even eat it, out of 5 parrots only one has ever nibbled on it). I honestly prefer to avoid it completely.
thank you so much! i’m always trying to expand my knowledge so i can improve as much as I can. I do have a fair base of knowledge but I still have SO much that I can learn and improve upon since I am nowhere near perfect lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
thank you so much! i’m always trying to expand my knowledge so i can improve as much as I can. I do have a fair base of knowledge but I still have SO much that I can learn and improve upon since I am nowhere near perfect lol.
None of us are perfect, and we are ALL still learning :)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Btw your cockatiel looks so much like mine !!! Mine has some yellow spots behind and in her spike :D

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Her name is Alsing. It means "to fly" in the Mi'kmaq language. Although, I should have named her "Chaos" or something more fitting to her personality.

Attachments