• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Idea for Toys/Play Area. Would this Work?

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors
I would love to spoil my cockatiel, whenever I get the money to allow me to do so. I've spent some time thinking about what I would want to do, and I want to get some opinions to see if it's a good idea, would be safe, etc.

I'm wanting to convert a cat tree into a playground for my tiel. I would want one completely wooden, since I figure that a carpeted one would be kind of gross to clean poop off of haha. But I wonder if that would make it more difficult for him to hold on to? I figure I could add ladders and toys to it, and it would be big enough that he could climb over it as much as he wants.

My other idea would be to make some sort of way to put perches/platforms on the walls around his cage that he could climb on. I found this, and it's not quite what I'm thinking, but it would be something similar: Amazon.com: CatastrophiCreations Cat Mod Dakota - Multiple-Level Cat Hammock & Climbing Activity Center - Handcrafted Wall-Mounted Cat Tree Shelves (Onyx/Natural): Pet Supplies

If I ever could I would love to give my tiel a complete room all to himself and even hang some toys from the ceiling so he could fly up to them. Do these ideas sound safe? Thanks for any thoughts!

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
It might be too small for a cockatiel but I buy these natural playgrounds on Amazon for my parrotlet and hang them on the wall with a few hooks. I use open hooks so I can just take it down to clean it up when needed. I decorate them with a few toys and his favourite swing he really seems to enjoy it..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The only issue with converting a cat tree would be if the wood was safe. All of the ones I've ever had are pressed wood/plywood which is not safe for birds to chew on.

Greencar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Carissa Greene
The only issue with converting a cat tree would be if the wood was safe. All of the ones I've ever had are pressed wood/plywood which is not safe for birds to chew on.
What types of wood are safe for birds?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I agree that the main issue with either the cat tree or something designed and made for other types of animals would be the materials. Our birds are so sensitive to so many "otherwise-common-and-seemingly-harmless" materials. I completely understand that cost is always a consideration for the vast majority of us (don't you wish money fell on your floors much the same way that parrot debris does? :lol: ), but this is why high quality play gyms end up being more expensive than what you could get on Amazon, for example. A lot of thought and consideration is given to the materials, where they come from, how unadulterated they are, and how a parrot might potentially get into trouble depending on the materials and placements chosen. I'm definitely not trying to discourage anyone from making their own bird play areas, but it might be best to start with your own materials? For example, kiln-dried, untreated pine could be a good start to then add more toys and activities to it? Just a thought and best of luck. I'm sure your cockatiel will appreciate your efforts and love spending more time playing, especially if you're around when they're doing so! :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors
These things are painted/stained/varnished. Not safe. You can easily do this yourself with some steel or wooden shelf brackets and a few pine boards as shelving.
Well like I said, I didn't want those specifically, just something like them. But if I can find a way to make something safe and similar that would be cool.