• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'd like you to meet Kermit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Some of you already know I'm 'fostering' a lovie, Kermit.

Kermit was surrendered, along with another lovie and a couple finches, to the bird store I work at. Him and the other lovie were both in a tiny, tiny cage:( Kermie's left shoulder was plucked, mutilated, and had a big scab on it. We separated the two to make sure lovie #2 wasn't doing this to Kermit. As it turns out, Kermit has polyfolliculitis, which was causing his plucking/mutilating. With me having Leyla, another polyfolliculitis bird, Kermie totally pulled my heartstrings and I agreed to take him home so I could monitor his healing.

So. I brought him home, set up the lovies old cage for him, gave him lots of things to shred and destroy, and made a cone for him so he could heal.

That was 3.5 months ago.

He's now been out of the cone for about 2 weeks and is doing pretty well. His shoulder is healed and the feathers have grown back, but he plucks around his neck yet. Most of his double-feather follicles are around his neck. He still chews on a little bit of skin right in his wingpit area, but it's getting less and less all the time.

Kermit is not tame, but he's not 'wild' either. He will reluctantly step up, but is fully flighted so most of the time takes off right after stepping up. He's made a lot of progress though. He now comes out of his cage almost right after I open it and loves to run around the top and look in the mirror by his cage.

Oh, we don't know his age or gender, but I've always referred to him as a male. He's not a permanent flock member as of yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up keeping him. Time will tell!

On to pictures!

This was the cage he came in:

Quite the upgrade!

First day home, you can see his ouchy shoulder:

A couple days ago when he flew to my open closet door and hung out there for a while:

I have a vase of molted peacock feathers sitting on the desk beside his cage, and one of the larger ones was hanging above his cage. The other day he reached up on tippy toes, grabbed the feather, and played with it for about half an hour:

Lastly, the first time meeting my lovies outside of the cage. Needless to say, it went well!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Wow he is looking really good :highfive:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
What a precious little faby. I have a soft spot for the green guys.

Ginger

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
Love the good news. Kermit must be wondering what in the world happened for his life to improve so much. Kudos to you!

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Awwwwwwwwwww Megan. He looks so loving. Hope you get to keep him. He sure is cute.

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
Great Job! Kermit looks wonderful! He must feel as if he died and went to heaven, especially after meeting those angel lovies! :highfive:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Megan, Kermit is doing so well now! our TLC is doing wonders.:laughing12:

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
He loos SOOO much better! What a great job you both are doing!!

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Awwwwwwwwwww Megan. He looks so loving. Hope you get to keep him. He sure is cute.
I hope I can keep him too:p I'd hate to see him go to someone who doesn't have any experience with polyfolliculitis and have him mutilate again:( Leyla's polyfolliculitis is much worse than Kermits, but Kermit's mutilating was much worse than Leyla's!

Great Job! Kermit looks wonderful! He must feel as if he died and went to heaven, especially after meeting those angel lovies! :highfive:
He is soooo interested in my lovies! I feel bad for him because he must be so lonely.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a dolly..good for you dear.he looks so much better..

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Kermit is thriving under your care. And what a handsome lad!!!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He sure looks great Megan. I love the cage upgrade! :laughing12:

Status
Not open for further replies.