• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I wish we had instant messaging here, spiderwebs in Quinoa ok?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I found spider webs and worms in a sealed bag of Quinoa. Is it o.k. to rinse and cook for Paco? They freaked me out and the bag is outside on the back deck.

Off to turn my roasting pumpkin seeds, can we say "spoiled Paco"?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
They were a gift, my friend is taking care of it. Is is safe to wash them and use them, ugg. Or just throw it out?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
They were a gift, my friend is taking care of it. Is is safe to wash them and use them, ugg. Or just throw it out?
Pitch it.

I wouldn't eat anything with bugs. My buddies sure won't if I'm breathing.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Throw it out and write the company.

csnake91

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
Get rid of it, the webs are from the worms, and they turn into pantry moths after a while. Then they have a chance of spreading across the house, as the worms like to eat almost any kind of dry grain- based food. :sour:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Chuck it. My birds like eating wax worms and I raise some for them, but whatever they're on goes stale and is covered in their waste and webbing. Plus, they're wild insects and could carry insecticides/herbicides in their systems.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Garet Do you have all of those birds? I had a pair of Peach Faced Lovebirds, they were something else. In addition to a pair of tiels ad 13 keets at one time.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those spiderwebs are from weevil's. You can look on google & read about them. I had a bag of seeds like this & they chewed right through the heavy tarp like bag that was holding them. They were in my back hall & I caught the issue & got them outta my house. I now store seeds & grains & even corn & dried beans in mason jars so there isn't an issue (hopefully) in my kitchen. I vaccuum seal all of them & just setup a big shelf in my basement to store all my sprouting supplies. You know if you need to catch me or anyone else in group you've posted enough now, (I believ) to PM me or clueless, bert, hawk. But you can pm a group of 3 @ a time. I wasn't on until tonight so it's an option if you do 3 of us ypu may get 1. You post to the group & ya' get us all! :fairy::fairy2::dance4::dance5:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I know, I don't think I ever paid for a bird. People don't want them and give them to me. People should not make a impulse decision to buy a "pretty"bird.
I've paid the ransom for some of them. Others were given to me or found outside. But yeah, I agree with you. :| So many birds out there get abandoned after the initial impulse buy