• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I want to take your advice.

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Hello to everyone. :)
I wanted to buy another macaw. Pasha is almost 2 years old. The bird I am considering getting is a Scarlet Macaw about 1 year old. I thought that Pasha would not be alone so that he would not be bored. But in some places I heard that my bird will no longer be interested in me. I don't want to lose my close bond with Pasha. What do you think about this subject?
Thank you.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anytime you introduce a new family member pray for the best but prepare for the worst.

Does pasha seem lonely to you? I don’t see lonely macaw there.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Anytime you introduce a new family member pray for the best but prepare for the worst.

Does pasha seem lonely to you? I don’t see lonely macaw there.
Actually, I spend most of the day with Pasha. I'm not leaving him alone. I see that Pasha is happy.
I was just wondering if he should be a bird friend.
But I guess I can't risk my relationship with Pasha.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I think if your bird already likes people that doesn't seem to change a bit by adding another bird, in my experience. And not just macaws. :)

That was my fear with our first bird, a green cheek. We got another so he wouldn't be lonely or bored while we were at work. He took to his new friend rather quickly & it was great to see them play and preen, but he was such a people bird to begin with that he always preferred our company. :xflove: And he was so comfortable around us that the shy, new conure was braver because of it and also started coming near us.

We got Puffin (G2) for the same reason, so Luv Bug would have a companion. They mirrored each other's behavior right away. There was some tail pulling & is still some chasing, but they're mostly okay together now & even preen each other a little. But they both still prefer people! :swoon:

Finally, Leon (BG) came to live with us in August. I think he's the first macaw Buzzard (miligold) has ever seen. They interact a little, sometimes hang out in the same cage but they aren't buddies yet. Both were people birds to begin with and would both still much rather be with us than the other bird, but it's still nice that they have each other to talk to and just to be near someone like themselves. :pinklol3:

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I think if your bird already likes people that doesn't seem to change a bit by adding another bird, in my experience. And not just macaws. :)

That was my fear with our first bird, a green cheek. We got another so he wouldn't be lonely or bored while we were at work. He took to his new friend rather quickly & it was great to see them play and preen, but he was such a people bird to begin with that he always preferred our company. :xflove: And he was so comfortable around us that the shy, new conure was braver because of it and also started coming near us.

We got Puffin (G2) for the same reason, so Luv Bug would have a companion. They mirrored each other's behavior right away. There was some tail pulling & is still some chasing, but they're mostly okay together now & even preen each other a little. But they both still prefer people! :swoon:

Finally, Leon (BG) came to live with us in August. I think he's the first macaw Buzzard (miligold) has ever seen. They interact a little, sometimes hang out in the same cage but they aren't buddies yet. Both were people birds to begin with and would both still much rather be with us than the other bird, but it's still nice that they have each other to talk to and just to be near someone like themselves. :pinklol3:
Thank you very much for sharing your advice and experience.

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
Never get another animal FOR another animal. Get one because YOU want one. We often put way too much human emotion and human thought process into our animals. While birds are intelligent and amazing, they’re still animals.

The new bird could love you and hate Pasha. Hate you and love Pasha. They could bond and completely ignore you. They could completely ignore each other and favor you. Could absolutely be anything! If you’re willing to accept any and all possibilities and YOU WANT a second Macaw and can provide for one financially, emotionally, physically, and mentally then by all means, do it!!! :)

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Never get another animal FOR another animal. Get one because YOU want one. We often put way too much human emotion and human thought process into our animals. While birds are intelligent and amazing, they’re still animals.

The new bird could love you and hate Pasha. Hate you and love Pasha. They could bond and completely ignore you. They could completely ignore each other and favor you. Could absolutely be anything! If you’re willing to accept any and all possibilities and YOU WANT a second Macaw and can provide for one financially, emotionally, physically, and mentally then by all means, do it!!! :)
You are absolutely right.
I guess I won't buy a new bird as long as I can make Pasha happy. Because I really can't handle the worst case scenario.
Thank you.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pasha is obviously a different beast than thw girls being much bigger but i dont regret getting KiKi.
I did do it for Mojo to a degree so she had company when i was working however i also wanted another.
Mojo still loves to hang out with me or my wife but we do get some peace now when she go's and plays with KiKi.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Pasha is obviously a different beast than thw girls being much bigger but i dont regret getting KiKi.
I did do it for Mojo to a degree so she had company when i was working however i also wanted another.
Mojo still loves to hang out with me or my wife but we do get some peace now when she go's and plays with KiKi.
Yes you are right. I work from home and can always take care of Pasha. But if I work outside in the future, I might consider getting Pasha a friend once again.
Thank you so much.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes you are right. I work from home and can always take care of Pasha. But if I work outside in the future, I might consider getting Pasha a friend once again.
Thank you so much.
I work from home but cant entertain Mojo when im working

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
If you want another macaw, and are prepared for the worst, them i see no problem! But i would not worry about your Bird being lonely, and there are plenty of poeple here with more than one Bird and have closet bond with them all