• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

i want to get a parrotlet

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
P'lets need a big cage...people tend to underestimate the amount of space they need because they are small, but they need at least a cockatiel sized cage....they are very active. They also eat like little monsters and will need a ton of attention if you only get 1. They can be too brave and I would worry about her marching right up to a cat. My female has less fear than any other bird I've ever had big or small....she runs toward loud noises and danger. I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to just get 1 p'let as a single bird household unless there was going to be someone home most of the day to spend time with her. She'll get really lonely and that can lead to behavior issues.

All my p'lets have needed routine vet care. One had beak and liver issues when he got older and he needed to be on medication and get regular grooming for the last few years of his life. The food and toys are not cheap either. They are little but they really are parrots in every sense and they will live for 10+ years.

Molts are not a huge deal, but I will say you will have feathers and scattered food all over around the cage that will require vacuuming and cleaning at least every couple of days. Any kind of bird is going to shed feathers and scatter food...that is a given.

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
Parrotlets LOVE to bite. It's like their favorite thing to do. It starts with nibbling/beaking and it's cute and turns to full on biting. Just be aware their bites hurt. And yes, your probably already know that, but I mean they hurt in a paper cut type of way. The pain lasts and is annoying for a while. I personally prefer to be bitten by Leo my goffin too than my parrotlets. I have six parrotlets FYI. They are fun little things and can become cage aggressive. I suggest getting one from a breeder as a baby that has been hand raised and hand fed. That means more than just feeding the baby formula. It means the breeder took time to socialize and acclimate the bird to people. This is important because your new to birds.

Just wondering. Where are you located. I know a very good breeder in my area. I live in Tampa, Florida. She might be willing to ship a bird for you and she is quite reasonable. Around 120 for a baby. She is amazing and really hand tames them well. I would say the males (in my experience) are sweeter than females. The females can be really bossy but every bird is different so I wouldn't say this goes for all parrotlets. Just my flock.

They CAN be really cuddly and love to sleep in little cozys. I say can be cuddly because some are and some aren't. Three of mine are and the other three aren't. If you are going to be in school for many hours in the day both now in grade school and in the future in college. Not to mention work. I think maybe two would be a bit better, but it isn't necessary. Just know you will need to pay a lot of attention to a single bird since it dosent have a buddy to do that. I would alter your birds sleep schedule if you get a baby, by covering their cage. Put your bird to bed when you go to bed and have someone get them up 10-12 hours later. I am a night owl so I don't go to bed until around 12. Leo goes to bed around 12 and I don't get him up til 12 or 1. If you stay up til 10 or 11 and you keep your bird up til then so it gets attention then you would probably be at school then so maybe see if your parents would be willing to uncover the cage around that time so you can keep them up later.

Parrotlets kind of have like zero chill. They are busy bodies. They like to go and do stuff so if you want a bird who will chill with you and do homework....you may get that but probably not all the time. I suggest partially clipping their wings because they are so small and get themselves into trouble easily. Mine are partially clipped so they can't fly as fast but still can go places.

Parrotlets are fun little boogers. They love cuddling in hair and jingly toys. All of mine love swings but the ones that have two cage hooks and only swing back and forth. The others are less stable and they don't seem to like it. If you have shoulder length or longer hair, you may find your bird nesteling in your hair. Mine do it and I don't even have long hair!!! have fun with your bird journey though!!!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
i live in a really small town. i'd be lucky if there was an adoption shelter here lmao. other than that, thanks! i think i get ahead of myself sometimes, but i've learned from my mistakes.
i'll probably come back to avian avenue screeching about how i finally got a bird in a few years.

I realize this is a few months late, but you seem to check in monthly. I also live in a tiny place. It's so small we struggle to maintain township status. I do have a neighbor 1/8th mile away luckily and my birdsitter lives nearby.

My AV is almost 3 hours away. She's my line to rescues and rehomes. I made a friend often referred to as "my breeder" although I've never bought a bird from her. Even so, I can call and ask her anything. We had a rescue about 3.5 hours away that I was able to volunteer at twice weekly.

The big differences are I've got a license and several vehicles, I'm financially stable, and have family members with bird experience willing to adopt my birds should something happen to me.

I look forward to your return. Please continue to check us out regularly if nothing else to do research on which species most closely matches your desires and lifestyle. Remember, it can happen no matter where you live!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
BTW, I previously had parrotlets and currently have one in quarantine. I don't think a parrotlet is your best choice. Most local vets are totally unfamiliar with them. If I had to describe one, I'd compare it to an Amazon that is snack-size. Unless you can drive to an AV regularly, ask a local vet what s/he has experience with and go from there. Most certified AVs are in big cities only and many of us drive 2-6 hours for one.

Acediaaa

Moving in
Real Name
Ally
hi hi ! it’s been more than a year since i’ve been on, and this thread is extremely dead, but i’d like to update and thank everyone who advised me.

first, thank you all for giving me advice and steering me towards one of my favorite birds — cockatiels. they’re absolutely hilarious and adorable, and they would be a perfect bird for my lifestyle.

second, i don’t have a bird. after a while of holding out hope, it kind of fell out from under me and left me kind of lost. i dealt with all of that on my own, and continued life as per usual.

third, i have hamsters now! brothers (yes, they quadruple checked that they were both male) from the same (accidental) litter who are adorable and have earned most of my love lol. they’re winter white dwarf hammies and i wouldn’t give them up for the worLd, even if i do get bitten and it draws a little blood. i’ve noticed that they’re actually a lot like my cats in that they groom and hide away for hours at a time, which i’ve become more understanding of. i’ve only had them for a couple days, and they’re in a tiny crittertrail cage, but my parents have listened to me about moving them into a bin cage. they sat down and listened to how i made a whole spreadsheet for supplies, the initial expenses, long-term benefits, preventing monkeying and bar biting, etc etc.

they’re tiny but chock full of personality, a lot like a parrotlet. i do get nibbled and bitten, much like y’all warned me about, and that hasn’t turned me away from them. i’m still trying to tame cupid, mr bitey in the flesh, and hermes just needs to get used to being picked up.

in other words, i got land-dwelling parrotlets who burrow and hide for most of the day, and i understand that.

again, i’d like to thank all of you for sending advice my way and allowing me to vent/rant (which i now realize is really angsty and cringey, i still grimace while thinking of that post, but i was a really sad person last year. anyway-)

this isn’t like, a goodbye post, i’m still going to hang around to see people’s birdies (because,,, how could i not?)

also ! the cats ! they have shown interest in my hammies, but all is good because my door handle was replaced with one that has a lock, so i can lock it while i sleep/while i’m at school. all’s well, just have to move them into a bigger cage.

anyway ! off topic !

thank y’all lmao

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe what a lovely update! I am new to this thread, but it was really nice to see what happened a year later. Hamsters are SUPER cute! I hope you continue to enjoy your little ground dwelling parrotlets :rofl:

Animals can do so much for us. Sending warm vibes! :joyful::xflove: