• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think Slade might be potty trained. . .

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
So since Slade and I have been making leaps and bounds in our relationship since we got the bigger cage and moved it beside me, his new favorite thing in the world to do is climb up on my leg and go to sleep, which I absolutely love. He wants to go to my shoulder, but I'm waiting till I can trust I won't loose an eye or get an extra piercing.

Well, he stays there for a while, tonight was 1.5 hours and never pooped on me. He did go once I put him back on his cage. I'm just surprised I think, that's 2 nights in a row he never went on me while being with me for a while.

My big concern is that I don't want him to hold it to long or anything like that, and I had the idea of maybe trying to figure out how he was trained. I know that may be a big task, but, any and all hints on how you potty train to begin with may help so I can go through process of elimination. It may end up I just put him back in his cage so he can go and he can come back over when he wants, but the need to know in me wants to figure this out.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Maybe some newspaper or paper towel next to you? I have never potty trained a bird so I don't know what the norm is!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Maybe some newspaper or paper towel next to you? I have never potty trained a bird so I don't know what the norm is!
Same, I just always figured getting pooped on was part of bird ownership haha.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Birds really are not supposed to hold it long. They generally release when they take off to lighten the load.

Rio poops every 5 to 8 minutes so hard to deal with him.

Penny holds longer...sometimes so long I worry. I guess it depends on the bird & there size or whatever????

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Birds really are not supposed to hold it long. They generally release when they take off to lighten the load.

Rio poops every 5 to 8 minutes so hard to deal with him.

Penny holds longer...sometimes so long I worry. I guess it depends on the bird & there size or whatever????
Yeah, size is usually a factor from what I know, I think that's why I'm worried. He's basically the same size as a senegal and holding it for an hour and a half seems like WAY to long, even if he is trying to sleep, since he doesn't sleep the entire time. I might just have to upset him and put him back more often. It only dawned on me tonight that the 2 days he's sat on me that he's never pooped.