• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think Puffin has lost her voice

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww Puffin :(

Sorry I have nothing to add to the conversation, just wanted to say that I´m hoping for the best. I´ll keep you all in my thoughts! :hug9:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hoping for good answers Karen. :sadhug2:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Wishing for the best news for Puffin. I hope it’s nothing serious :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes @faislaq, many times a change in voice can indicate Aspergillosis, but there are other things as well. The last time Hank had a change in voice, it wasn't Asper at all it was a MRSA infection in his throat. Took four months to cure that one and it is a serious infection. The thing with Asper is that the spores are around everywhere all of the time and i's only when there is a great increase in them or your bird's immune system is suppressed ha it can take hold. So it doesn't have to be something from years ago, but it could be.

Just make sure that your vet checks for Asper - I will guarantee that you don't want to deal with a serious case. Many times it is deadly, but there are much better medications than the times Hank and Jasper had it.

Please read this, so you will have some understanding and know what questions to aske.

Be aware that it is HARD to diagnose, so don't let your vet stop at the first step, unless he is very, very sure.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Yes @faislaq, many times a change in voice can indicate Aspergillosis, but there are other things as well. The last time Hank had a change in voice, it wasn't Asper at all it was a MRSA infection in his throat. Took four months to cure that one and it is a serious infection. The thing with Asper is that the spores are around everywhere all of the time and i's only when there is a great increase in them or your bird's immune system is suppressed ha it can take hold. So it doesn't have to be something from years ago, but it could be.

Just make sure that your vet checks for Asper - I will guarantee that you don't want to deal with a serious case. Many times it is deadly, but there are much better medications than the times Hank and Jasper had it.

Please read this, so you will have some understanding and know what questions to aske.

Be aware that it is HARD to diagnose, so don't let your vet stop at the first step, unless he is very, very sure.
Thank you for this

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Aw! I hope this is nothing to worry about, sending the best wishes!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww, Puffin! I hope everything will be OK! How is the humidity in your home? Is it very dry right now?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Awww, Puffin! I hope everything will be OK! How is the humidity in your home? Is it very dry right now?
One of our vaporizers is in the room with their day cage & another is in our bedroom with the night cages. We run them 24/7. The display says 28% right now, but the weather station we have inside always reads much higher. It's predicting rain right now. :laugh:

I'd like to add some F10 to them but I have no idea where to find it.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of our vaporizers is in the room with their day cage & another is in our bedroom with the night cages. We run them 24/7. The display says 28% right now, but the weather station we have inside always reads much higher. It's predicting rain right now. :laugh:

I'd like to add some F10 to them but I have no idea where to find it.
My hygrometers aren't what I would consider precise either, lol! But I have noticed that if they read below 30%, then Jelly Bean starts bobbing his tail and squeaks when he lands. :shrug3:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Look at the reptile sites @faislaq. Many times they will have F10 when no one else does - it is extremely popular among the reptile people.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
The vet noticed Bug (a WPR bird) tries to sing (his throat was moving but nothing came out) so she suspected it was from aspergillus which he has already been treated for. There's a serology test, but she said there's a problem with false positives and false negatives, and it's expensive (few hundred dollars!) so we opted to skip the test.

Hopefully, it's nothing serious.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know how much my vet charges for and asper titer test, but it sure as heck is less than $200. From my faulty memory the last one done on Jasper was less than $100.

Where is Lotus Land?

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I also don’t have any experience with Asper but sending all my best wishes to Puffin. And hoping Friday brings comfort and relief for you guys.

Sending lots of hugs, too. :hug8: