• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think Puffin has lost her voice

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Puffin has a loud, clear voice and has called to us every day since she's come to us over 2 years ago. Last night when I got home she made the cutest little squeaky noise. It's clear, not raspy, but it occurred to me this morning that she hasn't called out to us in her normal voice since then either. Now I've gone from thinking it's cute that she's learned a new sound (she sounds like a squeak toy) to worried sick when I hear it. :( She's not a talker and hasn't learned new sounds before.

I searched "lost voice" here and the prevailing response is that aspergillosis is the most likely culprit, but none of the posters came back and updated their threads with the diagnosis from their vets
:shrug3: One person said their vet didn't test for it and another said their bird passed away.

The soonest we can get in to the vet is Friday morning. After reading those threads I'm even more freaked out. :sad9: Help? Thoughts? Ideas?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She is eating, drinking and playing normally, and her poops look normal. She's been a bit nippier the past few days, but I blamed that on springtime; even Buzzard's been a touch hormonal lately.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Nikki, my CAG, had aspers. The first sign was a very raspy voice. It sounded very sore. I'd go Friday and get it checked out. It might be nothing and you can put yourself at ease than.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She's not raspy at all. That's the one thing I'm holding onto to convince myself it could still be anything else. :angel1: We're going Friday for sure, but I'm probably going to need some wine til then.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I just remembered that when we brought her home, her previous owners sent us home with a huge care package of her favorite foods ... including peanuts. They said they were her favorite. I know asper can come from other things, but how long can asper take to show up?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You could tell with Nikki that it hurt for her to talk. It was very noticeable.
Puff doesn't look like she's in pain, but she is normally very vocal and she isn't making any sounds much today. That would make sense if it hurts her.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hang in there

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I just remembered that when we brought her home, her previous owners sent us home with a huge care package of her favorite foods ... including peanuts. They said they were her favorite. I know asper can come from other things, but how long can asper take to show up?
Big hugs, Karen! I am not finding any kind of time frame listed for asper symptoms. Does your vet by chance know?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Big hugs, Karen! I am not finding any kind of time frame listed for asper symptoms. Does your vet by chance know?
I haven't gotten to ask yet. I just made the appointment. I think I'll use y'all's responses to help make a list of questions for the doc Friday.

I'm even more convinced this little squeak has replaced her loud call. She chirped & as soon as I offered my finger she wanted to step up, so she was definitely calling to me. :sad14:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope it’s nothing and she’s back to her regular vocal self soon!

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
So, Nikki didn't have a very good life before I got her. I think it was over 5 families she lived with. One said her favorite food was licorice and whipped cream. They smoked in the house and one person took her over the road driving a truck, he smoked to :(

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Well, I (a human) randomly lost my voice two days ago. I could barely whisper!! Hopefully it's just something like springtime allergies and pollen?
Please, God, yes. Can birds get allergies? Is this a symptom?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm hoping it's nothing and maybe a touch of allergies? Sending good thoughts and please keep us posted.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm hoping it's nothing and maybe a touch of allergies? Sending good thoughts and please keep us posted.
Of course I'll keep y'all posted. Besides the fact that our experiences can help anyone else that finds this thread, I know that if I don't, y'all will find me in whatever hole I've crawled into and drag me out by my hair for answers. In the most caring way possible. 1617742240145.png