• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think my Lovie has an accent...

BlkForestK

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
K
I understand that lovies are not famous for their mimicking abilities, but
I'm beginning to think our little Plum doesn't speak love bird...like, at all.

She sounds nothing like the love birds in the videos I've seen. She often does a sort of mumble chirp that sounds a lot like she's copying my husband (her favourite person) barks convincingly like our neighbor's dog, quacks, giggles (?) and kiiiinda says her name, but doesn't enunciate well. She also goes nuts when she hears budgies, and tries to 'sing' along with them.

We know very little about what kind of environment Sugarplum was kept in before we adopted her -she was listed as free on our local buy/sell page. Does anyone else have a lovebird who seems bad at speaking her own 'language'? You always hear about how smart large parrots are, but this little bundle of fluff keeps surprising us with her cleverness.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´d love to see some video clips so we can hear her :)

PepperGrey

Moving in
Real Name
Christine
Haha! That's so cute :) We used to have a Lovebird, but he passed on. He used to chirp A LOT and make little grouchy mumbling noises :rflb::)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:lol: That noise, after you move the camera, after the 3 chirps, it´s like a weird ghostly noise, I have heard before though I am not sure who by. I think Lapis.
Some of those other sounds I have never heard before. Very interesting :)

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Sounds normal to me lol. The creepy ghost thing is a bit off putting though lol

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I definitely hear some regular Lovebird noises mixed in there; Sherbie noticed it as well and responded.

Feathergirl626

Meeting neighbors
She has an instagram account where I've posted some of her funny noises if you're curious :)

http://instagr.am/p/CBoinfml0jR/
Yess another Canadian! :laughing2:
Hm, I have a budgie and those noises sound...well, like a budgie! I used to have a cinnamon gcc (about 3ish months ago he passed just a few days before his first birthday :sad1:) and some of the noises Sugarplum(?) is making reminds me of him/a conure..

BlkForestK

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
K
I used to have a cinnamon gcc (about 3ish months ago he passed just a few days before his first birthday :sad1:) and some of the noises Sugarplum(?) is making reminds me of him/a conure..
I'm so sorry about your little one. :(

She actually was sharing the small bird room with a conure and two cockatiels when she was boarded. I think you guys have answered my question -she seems to speak a few words of several bird languages! I'll try to get her macaw impression on tape for you to enjoy

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Snerky makes what you call the ghost noises! Same sound. The rest is more of her chattering to herself which some of my lovies do a lot, especially my girls.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Snerky! What a great name! :D
Totally suits her, too! She’s a diabolical mako eel. As she gets older, she’s losing her devilish edge...she used to do this evil little laugh, especially in the dark. She managed to teach it to our younger girl and has now passed the baton!