• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I think my Green cheek conure injured his leg. Please help.

kiwimister

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brenna
My green cheek conure was climbing up his cage and somehow got his toe squished between 2 bars in his cage. He was just stuck wiggling around for about 30 seconds before I noticed what was happening because he didn’t alert me or make any noise. I pulled the cage apart and got him free, but ever since it happened, he’s been standing on one foot and tucking his injured one. His feathers are all puffed up, he’s a little wobbly when balancing on one foot and he seems very tired, very cuddly and leaning on me to help keep his balance. I noticed he bled a tiny bit from his toenail, his little cuticles got pushed back a bit when he tried to wiggle free. His injured foot is swollen and He has a lump/bruise on the top of it as well as on his 2 front toes. Everyone’s telling me his foot is simply swollen and not broken, and that if I take him to the vet they’ll do nothing. I was hoping someone could possibly identify his injury, if it looks like it may be a break or not. His lethargy is wildly concerning to me but I don’t know if it’s just because he was so stressed in the moment. I just recently took him to the vet and can’t afford to again. Please any advice or insight will help, I am worried sick

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No one here can diagnose anything from a photo and no one here is an avian vet, but, I can tell you for sure that if your bird had its toes stuck in something and is now sporting a swollen bruised foot which he is not using and is causing him balance problems as well as being fluffed up and lethargic then in all fairness this bird needs to be properly evaluated by an avian vet.
Birds hide illness and injury as their life depends on being healthy and fit so by the time we see symptoms or behaviours like you mention they are suffering pretty badly in silence.

Even if nothing is broken it sounds like your little one needs some pain relief and possibly anti- inflammatory medications.

I would call the vet and ask if they will do a payment plan.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Even if nothing is broken it sounds like your little one needs some pain relief and possibly anti- inflammatory medications.
This.

kiwimister

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brenna
No one here can diagnose anything from a photo and no one here is an avian vet, but, I can tell you for sure that if your bird had its toes stuck in something and is now sporting a swollen bruised foot which he is not using and is causing him balance problems as well as being fluffed up and lethargic then in all fairness this bird needs to be properly evaluated by an avian vet.
Birds hide illness and injury as their life depends on being healthy and fit so by the time we see symptoms or behaviours like you mention they are suffering pretty badly in silence.

I would call the vet and ask if they will do a payment plan.

Thank you for the feedback. Took him first thing in the morning and got X-rays done. no breaks and we got him 5 days worth of anti inflammatory and pain relief. we’ve been cuddling extra today and he’s doing a lot better.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for the update!
Hope he feels better asap :heart: