• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I think my budgie might of broke his toe.

hailey p.

Moving in
Real Name
hailey pusztay
I have three budgies. One that I got just a week ago. Last night I went to check up on him and he was on one foot, which is normal for budgies as they do it when they are calm and content. Something must of startled him and he went back to standing on both feet. When I looked at his feet, one if his toes looked very bruised up. Hes having his normal behavior, he moves easily with out a limp, and when he jumps on a perch he has his balance. The only thing that makes me think maybe its broken is that he is never standing on that specific foot. So I don't know if hes not standing on it because hes calm or because it hurts to put weight on it.

Attachments

hailey p.

Moving in
Real Name
hailey pusztay
I accidentally posted this twice

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I took care of your duplicate thread for you :)

If he's never putting weight on that foot I definitely would want a vet to look at it!

hailey p.

Moving in
Real Name
hailey pusztay

If he's never putting weight on that foot I definitely would want a vet to look at it!
Thank you! ❤ He does occasionally put weight on it! He only ever has it up if hes standing for a while. But what I was concerned was that he has it up more than usual!! ☺☺

Reactions: Ali

hailey p.

Moving in
Real Name
hailey pusztay

Also here are better pictures of his bruising 20200806_093702.jpg 20200806_093656.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's really hard to diagnose based on a photo sadly! If his toe color has changed AND he won't stand on it, then I'd want a vet to check. If for no other reason, then to make sure my bird isn't in pain

hailey p.

Moving in
Real Name
hailey pusztay
It's really hard to diagnose based on a photo sadly! If his toe color has changed AND he won't stand on it, then I'd want a vet to check. If for no other reason, then to make sure my bird isn't in pain
Thank you! He doesn't seem to be in pain. He isnt shaking, biting at or anything! He can bend it and thats what confuses me because I wouldnt think you would bend a broken toe with ease!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! He doesn't seem to be in pain. He isnt shaking, biting at or anything! He can bend it and thats what confuses me because I wouldnt think you would bend a broken toe with ease!
He is in pain if he is favoring it. Birds hide illness and pain pretty well.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is there a way to treat a broken toe with out seeing a vet?
How would you address a broken bone for yourself? It's possible the vet won't be able to do much for it, but if he's in pain it's not fair to make him suffer. Favoring definitely usually means pain is involved

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Foot does look sore. Possibly some dried blood and some redness. The best thing you can do is take her to the vet and have that foot checked. If it's broken the vet would have to treat that. Is it possible she got it caught on something?

hailey p.

Moving in
Real Name
hailey pusztay
Foot does look sore. Possibly some dried blood and some redness. The best thing you can do is take her to the vet and have that foot checked. If it's broken the vet would have to treat that. Is it possible she got it caught on something?
I think its possible it got caught on a piece if fabric like a curtain. I asked my mom if we could take him to the vet and she said no. So Im not allowed to take him on a vet trip which is a horrible thing to not be able to do. So I really need a solution to help recover at home! Do you know one thing I could atleast do to help him recover :( !!!!

hailey p.

Moving in
Real Name
hailey pusztay
How would you address a broken bone for yourself? It's possible the vet won't be able to do much for it, but if he's in pain it's not fair to make him suffer. Favoring definitely usually means pain is involved
I really want to go to the vet, but unfortunately my mother said I'm not allowed too :( I just really wanna help my birdie out in some way!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The toe looks very sore and off color. It is your responsibility to provide medical care for your birds when needed. If you try a fix yourself its possible the foot can heal incorrectly and bother your bird for a lifetime. Feet are very important for birds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The toe might not be broken just injured and sore. However, maybe you can let your mom know that it's a good idea to take your bird to the vet to check and see if the vet can do anything. Your bird might be in pain and the injury could get worse. It is possible, though, that it's not broken and will heal but it's better to be safe than sorry and get the foot checked. Let us know how your bird is doing and if he is continues to have issues with that foot, hopefully your mom will agree to take him to the vet.

hailey p.

Moving in
Real Name
hailey pusztay
The toe looks very sore and off color. It is your responsibility to provide medical care for your birds when needed. If you try a fix yourself its possible the foot can heal incorrectly and bother your bird for a lifetime. Feet are very important for birds.
Well I am not an adult and I my parents said I am not allowed to visit a vet.

hailey p.

Moving in
Real Name
hailey pusztay
The toe might not be broken just injured and sore. However, maybe you can let your mom know that it's a good idea to take your bird to the vet to check and see if the vet can do anything. Your bird might be in pain and the injury could get worse. It is possible, though, that it's not broken and will heal but it's better to be safe than sorry and get the foot checked. Let us know how your bird is doing and if he is continues to have issues with that foot, hopefully your mom will agree to take him to the vet.
I really hope she does but I dont think I could change her mind.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is your bird's foot today?