• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think my budgie is sick

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
So this morning my budgie was as active as ever playing flying around, and singing. This afternoon I when to check up on them and he was in his cage bobbing his tail and all fluffed up. He ate some millet and a little bit of a cucumber, and some water afterward. He had diarrhea and kept cleaning the area around his butt. I should say that he is molting and his head feather are just starting to come out, his wings are also sometimes hanging a bit lower than usual... that.. plus the tail bobbing and being fluffed up got me really worried. but I don't know if it's from molting or his actually sick because after eating some millets that I gave him he flew to me and started playing. maybe it was something he ate?? He is currently singing, I want to get him to rest today, and get him to the vet tomorrow if he is still acting this way. In the meantime is there anything I can do to help him recover? boiled eggs? more time in his cage with his caged covered so he can actually sleep? More millets? I'll try anything in the meantime. any advice?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
As long as he is getting to the vet tomorrow, I think you are doing well. If he gets really lethargic you can put a heating pad at the bottom of his cage. Also make sure he is eating well.

Scorpi0

Sprinting down the street
When I got my 2nd budgie she was only about 3 months old. One day she was sick like yours. Fluffed up and tail bobbing, wasnt eating and didnt wanna move. I spent over an hour calling every vet in town and most of them didnt deal with birds. I found out there are only 2 bird vets in my area, each about 35 miles away and in opposite directions from eachother. One of them was closed that day and the other one was only doing appointments and the earliest one was over a month out. So by accident, I called that same vet office a second time. The receptionist was super cool and was curious about my bird. So I told her whats happening with my bird and she asked the vet to squeeze me in so he did.
I didnt have a travel cage, so I made one out of a cardboard box. As soon as I picked up my bird and put her in there, she went completely back to normal. I took her to the vet anyway and they checked her out and said she seems happy and healthy. They prescribed antibiotics just to be safe though.
So hopefully thats the case with your budgie and it was just a temporary thing. :)

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
Thank you for the respond. Our little guy seem to be doing good today. Yesterday he took really big poop, and from then he has been back to normal. So I’m think maybe something wasn’t digested right or he has ate something he shouldn’t have. He is such an active little boy and likes to get in to everything. He is luckily back to normal ( thank god)

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
Thank you for the respond. Our little guy seem to be doing good today. Yesterday he took really big poop, and from then he has been back to normal. So I’m think maybe something wasn’t digested right or he has ate something he shouldn’t have. He is such an active little boy and likes to get in to everything. He is luckily back to normal ( thank god)
Do you happen to have a picture of his big poop? My budgie has the same issue, he is molting and fluff all day. But he is still drinking eatting playing.