• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I think my bird dropped a blood feather?? Please help!!

PeterConur

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rye
Hi all! New bird owner here, my baby conure dropped a feather while I was out today and it has a spot of blood at the top, it looks like he broke it off? I’ll post a picture. He isn’t able to fly as his wings were clipped a while ago, and his cage is safe enough for him not to have hurt himself enough to break a feather. He’s very wiggly so I couldn’t get a look at exactly where the feather fell from, but he is not bleeding at all and seems to be in no pain. I appreciate any answers, in a very paranoid person in general and I’m nervous if I may be doing something wrong or something happened, thank you so much for reading!! (Provided a picture of the feather and Peter, the bird lol)

Attachments

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome it is a Bloodfeather but if he’s not bleeding it’s not urgent I will collect my thoughts and explain better in a minute

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
He probably pulled the feather because it was bothering him it is no plucking unless he does a lot of it I have five plug-in burns so I am experience with this I would not panic it just one feather but if he does more checking out with an avian vet to make sure it is not a physical problem Cynthia

PeterConur

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rye
He probably pulled the feather because it was bothering him it is no plucking unless he does a lot of it I have five plug-in burns so I am experience with this I would not panic it just one feather but if he does more checking out with an avian vet to make sure it is not a physical problem Cynthia
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your quick answering!! Really helped calm my nerves

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Rye :)

I agree with Cynthia. That feather is not broken, it is pulled.

his cage is safe enough for him not to have hurt himself enough to break a feather.
A fall from the top of the cage, or flapping around and catching a feather on something or in the bars can cause a broken feather, just so you are aware.

When was the picture of Peter taken? He looks like he is moulting in the picture as he has pin feathers all over his face. When a bird is moulting they will drop some flights. The flight feathers usually drop in twos (one from each side - to keep balance).

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@PeterConur agree with answers above, but I want to add NOT to let him eat any chocolate.
I know the crinkly wrappers on the candies gets his attention, but if he opens the wrapper and eats the chocolate, that is very bad for birds.
Much more danger than the blood feather at this point.