• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I think Monty just had a seizure?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Nice to see Monty is doing good and has seen his vet.

You have a few more answers than you did before. If it were one of mine I would be concerned about the regurgitation. Maybe since I'm not there and did not go to the vet, I find it strange the regurgitation was not associated with possible zinc toxicity. As a precaution did you ask about the aloe-detox?

Just want to mention even if Monty had blood work in March it would not have picked up his zinc levels as this is a separate test. As a recommendation I would make sure you have some Lilly of the Valley Aloe-Detox and some bulk slippery elm. The slippery elm is in case the bird regurgitates more, and the detox is to help protect the liver.

These recommendations are base on what I would do for one of mine.
Thank yo so much for your input. I will definitely look into doing the detox and will see about a follow up exam and have him tested for the zinc. I should have written down all of my questions when I went as I think everything just totally slipped out of my head once the vet started talking. She did mention that some birds get car-sick and that it was potentially due to that; since it hadn't happened until the car ride I'm inclined to think that's the case. I'm not setting anything in stone though!

It's up to you. Like I said the zinc did not show up in her xray meaning she did not ingest a larger piece of something metal. Since it was in her blood, she had been slowly taking in it for some time little by little....which made me think of the shower curtain rod. You need to request a specific test for it...it would not have been checked in the previous blood work.

Just something you might consider, at least to rule it out...then you can focus on other causes.

Or watch him closely and see if it happens again? Nani's happened a little spread apart...not every day....but it scared the crap out of me...I was very worried. I was very fortunate that I caught it soon enough and they were able to find a cause and give her a cure.
I think what I'll do is watch him closely for the next couple of days and see how he fares. If I see any indication something is off I'll take him back in for the zinc test. He pretty much is on the cage, the PVC gym, or the wood gym. He doesn't really shower in the bathroom but once a month or so (we have a spray bottle). Then again, I may just get worried again after sleeping on it and take him right back in tomorrow for the zinc test.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Thank yo so much for your input. I will definitely look into doing the detox and will see about a follow up exam and have him tested for the zinc. I should have written down all of my questions when I went as I think everything just totally slipped out of my head once the vet started talking. She did mention that some birds get car-sick and that it was potentially due to that; since it hadn't happened until the car ride I'm inclined to think that's the case. I'm not setting anything in stone though!
Car-sick is always a possibility, has he gotten car sick in the past?

You are doing good and it sounds like you have a wonderful vet. Take everything one step at a time and evaluate what is going on. If there is any indication of another seizure get him right to the vet for additional testing.

Gary

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Sounds like a plan:) There are so many things it may be, so it may ease your mind a bit to start ruling things out....but watching him closely is a good way to start...you are doing great!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
You're a great parront!

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Car-sick is always a possibility, has he gotten car sick in the past?
Gary
Gary,
No, he has not gotten car sick in the past. He was chirping and happy and fine and then starting in on the slinky neck. It looked like pellet mash, eww! He was fine when we got to the vets and then it happened again on the car ride home.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
To me...a bird just doesn't "suddenly" become car sick if he hadn't before...now you can get fresh ginger....cut off a peice the thickness of a quarter and let it steep in about 1 cup of water...give that to him to settle his crop/intestin and if you take him back tomorrow...I would give him that to drink tonight and leave in his cage...this helps with a bird/car sickness....I had two parrots that did always get car sick and always gave this to them 24 hours I knew we would be going to the vet...really helped and it doesn't hurt/drug them up!

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Amanda just seeing this! I will keep Monty in my prayers! I hope he will be OK.

evsrin

Been thinking about Monty, hope everything turns out okay for you guys.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How scary,I'm praying that he will be ok. :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
:hug8:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you guys for your support. :grouphug3:

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Geez, I just saw this :hug8: So many hugs to you :hug8: Talk about adding stress to stress :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I hope Monty has a full recovery. :hug8:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza