• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I think Monty just had a seizure?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Oh, Amanda, I'm so sorry :hug8: Having been through this with two of my lovies, I know how stressful it is for you. My lovie Bo was epileptic. He was on phenobarbitol...this was more than 20 years ago so the treatment may be different now. He was treated at Avian & Exotics before the lady vets took over. Buddy developed seizures during her last couple of years (Dr. Thomas monitored her) but she was on no special treatment. One seizure was so severe I thought Buddy was dead. Held her & stroked her beak for nearly 5 minutes, thinking she was dead, and then saw her beak move slightly. She was totally out of it for about 20 minutes, then wiped out for another hour or two, but came round. I made dietary changes based on things I learned on the Yahoo Group Feeding Feathers & I really believe these changes extended her life. Dr. Thomas told me that I kept Buddy alive 2 years longer than anyone else would have. (Buddy died before I discovered AA. ) She was 15...a respectable age for a lovie, but I believe she would have lived even longer had I known when she was young...like Monty is now..what I now know about how to feed a parrot! Whatever the source of Monty's current problem, I know you will get to the bottom of it & take whatever corrective action is appropriate...& Monty will continue to blossom under your loving care You are a great parront AND you have many well informed folks here to guide you along. :heart:

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Amanda I am sorry for what you are going through.

I can not tell you where I read this study on siezures and it was pertaining to CAG, but it wouldn't be any different for other parrots with the problem and that is when the siezure occurs it causes the electrical system in their brains to heat up and this is what damages the brain function, so the idea is to keep the brain cool which keeps the brain from swelling when a siezure happens.

Your vet should be able to give more info on this since my brain isn't working to well in the remembering department.

Best of luck!

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Could our old home, which most likely has lead paint (granted, underneath layers and layers of paint) as well as asbestos cause seizures?

This could be grounds to move if that is the case.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Lead paint wouldn't cause a problem unless he is chewing on the walls and ingesting paint. Asbestos doesn't cause problems (in humans) unless it is disturbed in some way. But I don't know for birds.

So glad Monty is feeling better :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Gosh, I hope it is not your home, but I bet it could be tested. I am so happy to hear Monty is ok. Lots of love.:hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
If he has been chewing or even "tonguing" the paint...that is possible...get a test kit and test your wood for lead...

Status
Not open for further replies.