• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I think Monty just had a seizure?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Okay, I was in the kitchen making lunch, and I hear a weird noise from Monty, who is on the playgym. I look over and he's hanging by one foot upside down. He couldn't move and made these little grunting noises. I got him off and held him to my chest, and I was putting the towels in the carrier to take him to the vet. His eyes were half shut and unresponsive, but he was breathing. His feet were clenched up and he wouldn't perch.

Less than 2 minutes later and he's fine...perching, shook it off. I am making a phone call to the vet as we speak. I am shaking so badly, I have no idea what just happened. Can someone help please?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh No...I would definitely get him to the vet.Can someone please get BF or Gary on the board? It seems like he has said Karo syrup? Let me do a search...

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Oh dear, it does sound like a seizure, maybe a stroke. I hope the vet can find some answers, maybe in his bloodwork. Thinking of you two, that must have been so scary. :hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh poor Monty..poor you....:hug8:

I just wanted to mention that about a year ago Nani was having seizures...would fall and couldnt' perch and was shaking...it was so scary. I had her tested for heavy metals and she had zinc poisoning.....so might be something to look into...at least to rule it out.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I have a vet appointment at 3:15 since they're in surgery until then. I don't have an karo syrup but I can find something else I bet. He might take some juice.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Just want to mention that the zinc and lead tests were separate from the regular blood work at my vet..

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Amanda, try and relax. You need to get Monty to you avian vet to determine the cause of what you saw. A seizure can be caused by many things, imbalance in diet, hydration, toxicity, etc. Like Carole mentioned a drop or two of dextrose Kayro syrup may help. If you have children's pedialyte mix 50/50 with water and offer to Monty. Please update us after your vet visit.

What do Monty's poops look like?

:hug8:

Gary

Last edited:

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
Aww poor Monty. Thats so scary! Prayers for your vet's wisdom and for a quick resolution!

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Amanda, try and relax. You need to get Monty to you avian vet to determine the cause of what you saw. A seizure can be caused by many things, imbalance in diet, hydration, toxicity, etc. Like Carole mentioned a drop or two of dextrose Kayro syrup may help. If you have children's pedialyte mix 50/50 with water and offer to Monty. Please update us after your vet visit.

What do Monty's poops look like?

:hug8:

Gary
Monty's poops are what we consider normal since we started feeding red chard...dark brown with regular urates and white stuff. I just put him in the travel cage with some fresh paper so I will photograph when he poops again.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I know you are in a hurry and a bit flustered right now but you might want to check Monty's cage and take a poop sample to the vet. Also look at the condition of the paint in the cage along with the toys he has been playing with. Take note of visual clues to discuss with your vet.

Gary

CosmoKramer

Real Name
Zach
Oh no Im so sorry Amanda :(
:hug8: For you and Monty! Please keep us updated

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I know you are in a hurry and a bit flustered right now but you might want to check Monty's cage and take a poop sample to the vet. Also look at the condition of the paint in the cage along with the toys he has been playing with. Take note of visual clues to discuss with your vet.

Gary
I just changed his paper this morning and didn't notice anything off, but I can double check. I am curious about the cage and wonder if that might be a problem since it was a donated cage that I got and it has yet to be powdercoated....so that leads me to think that might be the problem.

ETA: His most recent poop, a little stringy but not entirely abnormal. His morning poops normally look like this.

Last edited:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
We think Nani's poisoning came from the shower curtain rod. She had been hanging up there for years when I took a shower. I think that slowly she had ingested enough zinc from the hooks moving back and forth on the rod, for her to start showing symptoms. It is the only thing we could find that might explain it....so also look in other areas where Monty might have been....

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8::hug8: Hope Monty is feeling better and the vet has some answers.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hoping that Monty is ok....:hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Amanda, hope you can get a vet appointment this afternoon. Once the vet has seen you bird and drawn blood ask a few questions. Ask you vet about starting your bird on a heavy Aloe Detox regime right away should there be a slight indication of any type toxin, while waiting for test results . Ask the vet as many questions that come to mind and write the answers down.

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Monty's poops are what we consider normal since we started feeding red chard...
How long have you been giving him Chard and how much of it does he eat? Chard is high in oxalates and it can interfere with muscle function and it may reduce calcium absorption.

I hope your vet has some answers for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.