• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I'm rehoming my baby :(

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I think it would be best for Maccha, a gold capped conure, if I find him a new home with someone who has all the time and love in the world for him. I feel awful but honestly think it's for the best. I'm not the best person for him and he deserves so much more than me. I feel awful but its not about me its about making sure he gets a wonderful home and all the love in the world. Anyone know of someone on Vancouver Island looking a for a bird to love?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry. I know that's a tough decision to make. But you're right, it is what is best for the bird, and sometimes it is not us. I hope you find a good home for him. Does he not get along with Mochi?

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I know some people always say a bird is forever, but i also know that sometimes life goes in different ways then we want and think. If rehoming your bird is the best, then i wish you much luck in finding a good home!

i have been there too, rehoming my birds. Its not an easy decision, but like you say, the birds needs come first!

i hope you can find the peace to stay here though, and enjoy all the other birds :heart:

mochiballs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I'm sorry. I know that's a tough decision to make. But you're right, it is what is best for the bird, and sometimes it is not us. I hope you find a good home for him. Does he not get along with Mochi?
He's what matters the most. I've realized for a long time that I'm not the best home for him but because of the negative views surrounding rehoming I've selfishly put it off and in the end have hurt him more.

Unfortunately Mochi passed away a little over a year ago, but Maccha had attacked him relentlessly, and Ben passed away in July (they were friends from a distance). A while after Mochi passed I got Stitch, a pearly conure, and him and Maccha don't get a long. Maccha also has taken to attacking my families dogs and they've started to get angry back. I'm worried that one day Maccha will get hurt and don't want that to happen. He just wants my moms love and would love to be with her all the time but unfortunately my mom doesn't want to have that kind of relationship with him and is always with the dogs.

I think this will be for the best.

mochiballs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I know some people always say a bird is forever, but i also know that sometimes life goes in different ways then we want and think. If rehoming your bird is the best, then i wish you much luck in finding a good home!

i have been there too, rehoming my birds. Its not an easy decision, but like you say, the birds needs come first!

i hope you can find the peace to stay here though, and enjoy all the other birds :heart:
Thank you for such a nice message.
It really makes me feel better about this. :heart:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's what matters the most. I've realized for a long time that I'm not the best home for him but because of the negative views surrounding rehoming I've selfishly put it off and in the end have hurt him more.

Unfortunately Mochi passed away a little over a year ago, but Maccha had attacked him relentlessly, and Ben passed away in July (they were friends from a distance). A while after Mochi passed I got Stitch, a pearly conure, and him and Maccha don't get a long. Maccha also has taken to attacking my families dogs and they've started to get angry back. I'm worried that one day Maccha will get hurt and don't want that to happen. He just wants my moms love and would love to be with her all the time but unfortunately my mom doesn't want to have that kind of relationship with him and is always with the dogs.

I think this will be for the best.
So sorry. I didn't realize.

TheBirds

Yes, THIS. There are terrible views surrounding rehoming and I think it ultimately is a disservice to everyone involved, because rehoming a pet with careful consideration is often the best path forwards for all involved. We're very lucky where I am, there's a Facebook group dedicated to rehoming birds - without judgement - the only thing that matters is the bird is going to a good home where it's quirks are known about ahead of time and it's new owners feel equipped to deal. The person giving up the bird as well as anyone interested in adopting the bird (and there are often MANY people willing to take it in) completes an application, which is screened by a third party associated with the rescue page. It really removes the negative connotation of rehoming so everyone ends up happy in the end. The previous owner, bird, new owner ... everyone.

It's tough to acknowledge our pets might very well have just as good a life - or better than! - one we're able to provide them with. But it sounds like you're on the right path, and I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:

Katcat

Sitting on the front steps
Animals welfare should always come first, that said you should make every effort to accomodate them

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes you need to do what's best for both of you. I too was once an all or nothing but I've calmed and watching some of my fosters blossom in homes after leaving me made me realize it isn't about what people think, it's about the bird. Sometimes you are a stepping stone to their perfect forever. Just do your diligence when rehoming.

My gold cap used to attack dog ears, he hated dogs and there were trigger words that he would attack me on...Happy my gold cap. He's calmed a lot in his older years and having a bird room and learning about mixing critters being not so good, he is better.

Good luck to you both.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I too did good research before i rehomed my birds..

i had 2 Senegals (one tame, one not) an Amazon (came to me as a rescue, heavily abused) and a Grey (would NOT stop trying to mate with me..) So while i first thought you know what, i can fix this.. i soon realized that with the depressions i sometimes suffer, i could not fix this. So both the large parrots went to a subsidized sanctuary here they will stay forever (in theory, one can never be sure what the future brings, i know that now) and they where kind enough to took the two Senegals in as well..

The amazon is now nicely paired up with another amazon of a different species, but hey they match :) The grey is part of a flock of 12 greys, and the Senegals.. well luckily i gave them the outdoor aviary as well.. because they molested a mackaw so they placed them i their own aviary :rofl:

All birds are happY now, much happier then they ever would be with me.

And then.. Then came the call if i wanted to rescue two Pionus birds. and i SO SO was in conflict with myself.. how could i give away 4 birds, only to take in 2 new??

But you know what.. I gave away the 4 for a better life, and i decided to take in these 2 for a better life and see what happens. And you know what happened? They turned out to be the perfect fit! They are calm, self caring birds that need not as much attention as the first 4. Whenever i deal with a depression, i can safely spend less time with them, and know they are still happy and content.

So understand.. nothing in life is set in stone. If the present forces you to rehome the birds, then do your research (as @webchirp also said) rehome them to a better place and be at peace. For all you know you die next week in a car accident, and they need to be rehomed anyway (but please, stay away from cars! And be safe)