• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I'm ready to rehome her (B&G macaw)

Wenzer

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaitlin
I've gone back and forth with this a lot in the last several months. Every time I get to thinking I'm ready to do it, rehome my birds, I tell myself to take some time to think about it longer before making hasty decisions... So I forget about it for the day, then avoid thinking about it entirely until it becomes overwhelming again, and the cycle repeats continuously.

The only noticable change this has brought is I feel like I'm forcing myself to keep my birds, I feel like I'm pushing myself farther away from them, like I've lost my passion for the birds I love so much. I'm seriously crying I'm so emotional saying that. I love my birds so much but I can't continue this way with them.

Everybody keeps telling me to give it more time, I'm in a rough spot right now, things will change and I'll enjoy our lives together again. I don't think I can believe that anymore. It just makes me despise everything about my situation, including my birds, and I HATE that. This isn't fair to them at all.

It's going to be so hard but I think I need to do this. I don't know if Kiwi my quaker could handle being rehomed at this point, but I think it would be best for Chloe (macaw) at least. I'm in Winchester, IL and would prefer to find a home that's within a few hours travel at least. I will be extremely picky; she will stay with me as long as necessary until I find the perfect home. There will be a negotiable rehoming fee but she is not free to any random person.

Chloe is a female 4 y.o. B&G macaw, will be 5 in May 2022. I've had her since she was 9 months old. She has deformities in her feet and a minor case of scoliosis. She is fully flighted and MUST remain that way. She's use to flying between rooms and is doing well with wearing a harness (which would go with her), her flighted wings help her with balance since her feet are deformed. She can get around fine with them but they need to be checked daily to make sure they're not getting any pressure sores or other health issues. Her nails need trimmed a little more frequently than a typical parrot but it's also better for them to stay slightly longer than typical because she often uses them to hang off things since her grip isn't that strong (mainly the right foot).

She eats mazuri small bird pellets, some fruits and veggies (she's become very picky with them), and does really well with sprouts. She can't eat anything with artificial colors because she gets gastrointestinal upsets and gives her diarrhea. The mazuri Large bird pellets have one artificial color in them and makes her stomach upset so I feed her the small bird, which she wastes less of anyways lol.

I can provide her vet records so they can be updated with a new vet if the next owner uses someone different.
She's wary of new people but she's never been an aggressive bird. She likes to chew on my hands and can get rough sometimes but she's not trying to harm me when she does it, just thinks she's playing.

Chloe would do best in a home with a single or multiple women. She is wary of men, especially if they're tall. I won't rehome her to anyone with younger kids (but I will consider a family with teenaged kid(s) who are respectful of animals). She is use to living with me as the only human so I don't know how well she would do in a family setting. She's been around other birds and doesn't really pay attention to them, unless they come near her/her cage, she will be defensive of course. She does not go after other birds unprompted. If she lands on the floor she may try to climb another cage to get up higher so would have to be careful that she doesn't get her toes nipped.

Kiwi is my ~12 year old female quaker. I don't know if I will actually be able to rehome her though; I've had her 8, almost 9 of those ~12 years and she's an anxious bird who will tear into anyone who isn't me. I honestly don't think she would survive the separation from me and subsequent depression.

Wenzer

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaitlin
To add to this, because I forgot to in the first post: anyone interested in having Chloe will need to meet her beforehand, preferably multiple times, to establish a connection with her. I will also require EVERYONE in the household to meet her at least once in person.

No smokers, no young children, MUST keep her flighted. MUST be able to provide vet reference(s) because she will need regular vet checks like any pet bird, but also because of any potential problems associated with her feet.

I will also require the new home to sign a rehome contract stating that if anything should happen where Chloe can't stay with the new home, she MUST BE RETURNED TO ME. NO exceptions. I lost one bird during the time I fostered parrots because I stupidly trusted a close friend with the bird without a contract, and I'll probably never find that bird again. I am not making that mistake again.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear that you have to rehome Chole. I hope youll be able to find an wonderful home for her. :hug8:

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I followed some of your post on the laser surgery she had. I thought she was 19. Is she still getting the treatments for her feet?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I am so sorry and hope for the best! :sadhug2:

@Peachfaced As much as I love Macaw’s they are out of my league unfortunately. Maybe someday I’ll feel ready for the beauties!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry if I missed some of the previous posts if they explain what I am about to ask....

Is there a particular factor driving your want/choice to rehome- I am meaning stuff like is there issues with bird and family, behavior problems, cost, noise, work, lack of time etc?

Whatever the reason is that you are looking for a new home for Chloe, I sincerely hope that you find something that is perfect for her. Best wishes to you both :)

Wenzer

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaitlin
I followed some of your post on the laser surgery she had. I thought she was 19. Is she still getting the treatments for her feet?
We took a break from laser therapy; it seemed to help but it also brought some drawbacks what with the rapid healing causing her hocks to be very tender, and she was becoming overly stressed from the frequent visits (it's about an hour and a half from home to the vet each time, and Chloe enjoys car rides but I noticed she was becoming overwhelmed). I'm monitoring her progress and her hocks are doing well since stopping the therapy but I still have some lazer therapy sessions pre-paid at the vet in case we need to start again.

The 19 year old macaw you may be thinking of is actually the bird I referenced later in the first post here: she is the one I entrusted to a close friend, someone I never imagined would betray me/my bird and went and flipped her less than a year later.

Sorry if I missed some of the previous posts if they explain what I am about to ask....

Is there a particular factor driving your want/choice to rehome- I am meaning stuff like is there issues with bird and family, behavior problems, cost, noise, work, lack of time etc?

Whatever the reason is that you are looking for a new home for Chloe, I sincerely hope that you find something that is perfect for her. Best wishes to you both :)
There's nothing concrete exactly making things difficult, it's my mental health that is the problem :( I've gone through episodes in the past where I'd be do down depressed and/or anxious that I wasn't doing right by my birds, spending enough time with them, ensuring they received more than the minimum... I still go through these episodes and I tell myself each time to just give it more time before making decisions, but all that seems to do is further embed the idea in my head... The last few months have been really crazy as far as my mental health goes and I don't know what's causing all these issues with me. For whatever reason, I feel now like I'm forcing myself to love my birds and keep them solely because I'm holding out hope that I'll be past this soon and I'll get all my passion back for my birds, but some days I feel like I can't even look at them :(whether that be because I'm worn out to the point I'm apathetic or because it will just make me break down crying thinking about them again

I'm sorry, I know that's a lot of personal stuff I just threw in there... It's the only way I can describe it right now

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh boy @Wenzer, I am sorry if me asking has made you share more than you wished to. I am really sorry you are dealing with these thoughts and feelings- I honestly do understand as I suffer pretty terribly from anxiety (and a few other mental health issues at times) and all the mess it brings for my daily life, relationships, brain and health alike.

Best wishes for you finding the right place for Chloe and also finding some happiness and peace for yourself :bighug:

Wenzer

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaitlin
Oh boy @Wenzer, I am sorry if me asking has made you share more than you wished to. I am really sorry you are dealing with these thoughts and feelings- I honestly do understand as I suffer pretty terribly from anxiety (and a few other mental health issues at times) and all the mess it brings for my daily life, relationships, brain and health alike.

Best wishes for you finding the right place for Chloe and also finding some happiness and peace for yourself :bighug:
No it's okay, I don't mind sharing necessarily, just I worry I overshare too much sometimes and that it might be uncomfortable for others. Thank you for your support :hug8:

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Thank you for the information. I was curious about her treatments and how they were going.