• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I may be in trouble…

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How is everything going with Mango?
How is your foot going?
I am hoping you are finding things a bit easier and your foot is healing well.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is everything going with Mango?
How is your foot going?
I am hoping you are finding things a bit easier and your foot is healing well.
I've been wondering this as well I was going to bump the thread up but you beat me to it lol.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Thanks for asking @Shezbug and @April.

Mango is doing well.

He doesn’t really like bought toys or the play top on his cage so I put a cardboard “house” up there with a towel “rug”. He loves it and spends hours destroying the rug or anything else I put in there. I’m hoping it will help with the plucking/chewing the ends of his feathers.

Working intensely on separation training this week. I work in my BR and when he stops screaming, I come out and give him attention. He’s getting better. The separation scream is actually his quietest.

His worse scream is at dusk. A Too owner recommended that I keep Mango close to me at that time. That’s been working. He still tries to scream but I can shush him. If I keep with me until dark he goes down quietly instead of screaming in a covered cage.

My Mom visted again. There was no incidents. He seemed less territorial.

Of course outside the “issues” he’s a love bug. He let’s me handle him anyway I want. Loves to cuddle and play.

Orthopedist said I don’t need surgery but my ankle is badly sprained in addition to the foot fractures. Swelling is going down. Hopefully that will result in the pain subsiding.

So, things are improving.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Good to hear things are settling into a rhythm.
a cardboard “house” up there with a towel “rug”. He loves it and spends hours destroying the rug or anything else I put in there.
Be careful with this as ingested fibers can cause an obstruction.

There's a good 5-part case study about what they looks like starting here...

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Glad to hear things are going ok.

What kind of toys has he had? None of my guys like toys from the large chain stores but boy do they love some of the things I make for them and also some things I have got from some small businesses similar to the vendors here. I wonder if it’s the materials or the kinda of toys he’s had.
Burt loves boxes too- lucky for him my son has a regular stream of parcels arriving lol.

I wonder if your cuddling and handling could be adding to the feather destruction- this sometimes unfortunately happens when birds are in appropriately handled or touched in areas that only sexual/bonded mates usually are allowed to touch. Just a thought.

Really glad to hear your foot is healing well and you don’t need surgery!!

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Glad to hear things are going ok.

What kind of toys has he had? None of my guys like toys from the large chain stores but boy do they love some of the things I make for them and also some things I have got from some small businesses similar to the vendors here. I wonder if it’s the materials or the kinda of toys he’s had.
Burt loves boxes too- lucky for him my son has a regular stream of parcels arriving lol.

I wonder if your cuddling and handling could be adding to the feather destruction- this sometimes unfortunately happens when birds are in appropriately handled or touched in areas that only sexual/bonded mates usually are allowed to touch. Just a thought.

Really glad to hear your foot is healing well and you don’t need surgery!!
Thanks.

He has toys that came with him…wood blocks on rope and a coconut shell thingy.

I bought him dried corn w husk, a pine cone and ball w holes in it that he didnt touch. He destroyed an all corn husk toy that when I put it in his house (cardboard). Destroyed balsa toy and tongue depressors. Need more depressors. I made toys out of cardboard tubes stuffed w treats and paper that he liked.

He doesn’t really like the hanging toys in his cage and I cant leave him unattended in his house since he’ll climb down off the cage. Id like to find a way to put a house in his cage so he has a project to work on while Im out of the room.

He was shreading one clipped feather when I got him. The vet re-clipped it and then he started shreading others.

His feathers were nearly perfect when I got him but I don’t think he was handled by the previous owner. They said he was either in his cage or on a perch and they didn’t have time for him. He’s incredibly tame so it seems he would have had a close bond w owner 1. His past will be mystery that will forever bug me.

I think his first name was “Bird”. He says it a lot.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you read the article about avoiding the pair bond by Pamela Clarke?

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Had to demolish the house. He would’t come out it and got pissed when I tried to remove it to extract him. Hell has no fury like a scorned Too. I knew that was a possibility. He also got tangled up in his shredded towel and had to be cut off him so that had to go too.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Had to demolish the house. He would’t come out it and got pissed when I tried to remove it to extract him. Hell has no fury like a scorned Too. I knew that was a possibility. He also got tangled up in his shredded towel and had to be cut off him so that had to go too.
Sorry you had to learn all that the hard way, but I'm glad the towel shredding has been banned (regardless of its material). As you discovered, entanglement is an issue, but even if they aren't physically harmed by that (or ingestion), it's perceived as nesting material and has the potential for behavioural issues. You got a glimpse of that when he was defending his house/nest.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Sorry you had to learn all that the hard way, but I'm glad the towel shredding has been banned (regardless of its material). As you discovered, entanglement is an issue, but even if they aren't physically harmed by that (or ingestion), it's perceived as nesting material and has the potential for behavioural issues. You got a glimpse of that when he was defending his house/nest.
Unfortunately thats the only way I learn.

Huge learning experience but we are working it out. Unlike human parenting that comes with the support and experience of grandparents, us first-time Too parents r on our own.

Neighbors reaffirmed yesterday they don’t hear Mango (cuz he only whispers…HA). Regardless, the golden dragon stays.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not all human parents have the supports you mention or other supports.

I'm glad you're facing this like a learning opportunity. :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hey @animalvr it's been awhile since we've heard from you. I really hope that you and Mango are doing well. Please check in and say hi when you can :)
I was thinking this just a few hours back- I would love to hear how they all are doing.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It’s been a couple months - Everything going ok?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It’s been a couple months - Everything going ok?
I hope you get a reply- I have not for the last few tags. I have been concerned about these two with the silence.