• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I may be in trouble…

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
@Shezbug,

Thank you for pointing me to the training forum. Searched for screaming. I didn’t see anything to deal with tantrum screams that need to be addressed immediately beyond ignoring. Hopefully the vet can help.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I wrote in a [while ago] post, about how our sweet Umbrella Cockatoo would suddenly bite me.. took me awhile to put the 'facts' together of what would trigger her.

She came to us as a rehome from an older couple who could no longer care for her. I finally realized that Abby would bite me in the face because I had my eyeglasses off [I wore contacts when we 1st got her]. I think the 'old lady' died w/ the cockatoo sitting on her and bird was trying to revive her. [Abby gets VERY upset when I take my glasses off]. And when my husband takes off his glasses to wipe his eyes, she is TOTALLY DIFFERENT, very concerned and loving... So the 'old guy' was weeping for his wife, and bird went to comfort him.
She is very afraid of anything elongated, like sticks, ladders... I think the grown children didn't know how to handle a bird, and used sticks to force her up or away from them. Abby also 'kills' pop cans-- which kids probably threw at her to get her away.

I know all of my comments are just my thoughts, but if I hadn't figured out our Cockatoo was biting me because I had my glasses off, then.... ? So thankful you are giving the situation time, thought, and patience!
Thx for sharing.

Im trying to figure out his logic to his behavior and the appropriate response. There haven’t been a lot of what I call tantrum screams (the worse of the worse and that could get me cited and must be immediately stopped).

Not sure why he suddenly is using more beak pressure now unless he’s feeling more comfortable and is now trying to establish dominance. Im hoping things will improve once I get my Mother out here.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Not sure why he suddenly is using more beak pressure now unless he’s feeling more comfortable and is now trying to establish dominance.
no, dominance is not a thing with parrots
flock-talk.tumblr.com/post/108990830803/dominance-in-parrots (cut and paste to read, I'm sorry but it kept posting the whole dang article no matter what else I did. It's a good article but I don't want to post the whole big thing!)
and
It is easy for some parrot owners to misinterpret aggression as a parrot’s desire to dominate. Aggression for the purpose of establishing dominance is common in many mammal species, including humans, however it does not occur in parrots. Parrots have no natural inclination to form dominance-based hierarchies with other parrots in the wild, or with humans in captivity.

I don't know the reason in your case. One common one is that people are not listening to the bird's body language well enough and the parrot has to "talk louder" to try to get their point across to the human.

Last edited:

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
no, dominance is not a thing with parrots
flock-talk.tumblr.com/post/108990830803/dominance-in-parrots (cut and paste to read, I'm sorry but it kept posting the whole dang article no matter what else I did. It's a good article but I don't want to post the whole big thing!)
and
It is easy for some parrot owners to misinterpret aggression as a parrot’s desire to dominate. Aggression for the purpose of establishing dominance is common in many mammal species, including humans, however it does not occur in parrots. Parrots have no natural inclination to form dominance-based hierarchies with other parrots in the wild, or with humans in captivity.

I don't know the reason in your case. One common one is that people are not listening to the bird's body language well enough and the parrot has to "talk louder" to try to get their point across to the human.
Thank you for that.

Bird expert at store said putting them on shoulder puts them in a dominant position and refernced the dom flock thing. Ugh…more misinformation.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
tantrum screams that need to be addressed immediately beyond ignoring
Why does it need to be addressed immediately beyond ignoring?

Ignoring is not a passive thing, we're still observing during that time, and trying to remember what might have lead to the outburst.

In addition to the cage-positive reasons others have given for not banishing to the cage and covering, I'll offer another -- that approach eliminates our ability to figure out what's causing the tantrum and address the root cause. Tantrum screaming is a symptom and banishing only leads to more banishing, not understanding.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ignoring works. For us, it's the only thing that does. You take away the PEOPLE! We leave the room. We return when it's quiet or nice sounds.

Hubby said she trained us to come to a whistle.....

Remember they can't talk, that's why they use the beak.

NO SHOULDER in my home. I hate that my buddy didn't get to ride on my shoulder before he passed away but the damage they can do to your face, I was just too scared to risk it.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch lost shoulder privileges because he'd hop on nicely enough then after some time he'd shriek and bite me in the neck or ear, that got old fast. Sometimes he would see something that scared or triggered him, sometimes he wanted something to happen rhat I had no clue about.
I started learning what his triggers were, plus I found out what he truly wanted to do when be rode into the bathroom with me after work to clean up.
Turned out he was fascinated by the water faucet and the running water. One day I decided to take one for the team and put my arm down on the cabinet and he ran to the running faucet and got drinks and played with the water. After a bit I asked him if he was done and he ran back up my arm and happily let me wash up. He never bit me riding in there again because he knew if he waited I would let him play on the faucet like he wanted.
Another day he punched a hole in my ear because he was on me (mistake) while I was trying to eat hot cereal without offering some fast enough.
He did get to ride once we had worked things out with each other and I knew what to avoid or share with him.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Took Mango to the Av vet (a Too owner) today. I don’t recall who suggested that but thank you. Even though I wasn’t worried about Mangos health it felt great to get a professional opinion…

Mango is a very healthy, young male, that was well taken care of physically.

Got Mango’s band removed which was bugging him.

Got him chipped. It goes into the muscle. Poor guy.

He was treated for mites.

Bad clip job cleaned up.

Vet remarked on Mangos temperament. He said he usually needs a blood transfusion after seeing a Too. Mango didn’t bite but he did hiss.

Vet also remarked on our bond. Said Mango acts as if I hand raised him myself.

Vet said I have an exceptional Too in beauty, health and temperament.

Vet said putting the bird on the shoulder elevates their dominance.

He had no advice for addressing tantrum (AKA eviction) screams. Thought that if it wasn’t s warning, mango was expressing something positive. Vet told me a story about when his Too saw a pitbul attack a greyhound, the Too stopped the attack by screamed, saving the greyhound.

Vet tech thought the recent biting was jelousy. She was 100% right. Mango was biting me whenever my Mom was near. He bit her also when she walked by me and he was on my shoulder. After she went home, he was all sugar and spice…no longer using pressure. Hope the jelousy and related bites abate when hes more adjusted.

Vet said seed mix is bad and killed his first bird. Got high quality feed and supplement.

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mango sounds like quite the character!

Most shocking the story of the 'too breaking up a dog fight. No classic bystander behaviour there - good for him!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's some resources on screaming: https://pamelaclarkonline.com/screaming

If you can, I would highly recommend a consultation with Pam Clark. You have taken on a major challenge and it's much easier to create good behaviour patterns from the very beginning rather than try to fix or modify something that has been allowed to become habit.

In particular, you need to be aware of the pair-bond and not allow Mango to develop this relationship with you. While it sounds nice, a parrot who thinks that a human is their mate is highly likely to develop behavioural problems like screaming, aggression and feather destruction. Close sustained physical contact like snuggling, having the bird on your knee and allowing the bird to be on your shoulder is a major contribution to the bird believing that your are their mate.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Here's some resources on screaming: https://pamelaclarkonline.com/screaming

If you can, I would highly recommend a consultation with Pam Clark. You have taken on a major challenge and it's much easier to create good behaviour patterns from the very beginning rather than try to fix or modify something that has been allowed to become habit.

In particular, you need to be aware of the pair-bond and not allow Mango to develop this relationship with you. While it sounds nice, a parrot who thinks that a human is their mate is highly likely to develop behavioural problems like screaming, aggression and feather destruction. Close sustained physical contact like snuggling, having the bird on your knee and allowing the bird to be on your shoulder is a major contribution to the bird believing that your CD are their mate.
Thank you. This is helpful…and challenging. Mango and I established a deep bond upon meeting.

Will be mindful to create separateness. This AM I took him out w me. Later, I went out wo him so he knows he cant always ride shot gun.

My dove (first luv) and I are maintaing our tradition of evening cuddles after Mango goes to bed. I’m maintaing that for the dove but it sounds good for mango also. Also, if dove wants me, he gets first dibs. Mango is good about that. Its all very Sister Wives but we are male. Interestingly, Mango is not threatened by the dove like he is by my mom.

Last edited:

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Challenges keep coming. Shattered my foot last night one week after bringing the handful home. Had to bring my mom back home to help. Mango is more than a lil jealous. Full on attacking. Def next level. Was able to stop it but got bit. Now I’m trying to keep Mango separate from both my mom and dove…while being incapacitated.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Challenges keep coming. Shattered my foot last night one week after bringing the handful home. Had to bring my mom back home to help. Mango is more than a lil jealous. Full on attacking. Def next level. Was able to stop it but got bit. Now I’m trying to keep Mango separate from both my mom and dove…while being incapacitated.
Oh no I'm so sorry to hear that happened. I hope that Mango will accept your mom and let her help out and that you heal quickly.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hope your foot heals quickly and isn’t too painful.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
How is everything going?
Hi.

Thanks for asking.

I just finished putting together his permanent cage. Its really nice w a play top. He’s in it for the first time right now. Had to drive to the end of the earth to get it but got a crazy wholesale deal. Prob paid 1/3 retail. Has a nice branch perch (for those of u concerned about the dreaded dowels). Will prob get a rope perch too.

I had to bring my mom back (who sends mango into a jelous violent rage) to help me with my broken foot. Shes been gone a couple days now. My injury required that I change the house around again. His new cage will require another rearrangement of rooms/furniture. I know all these unavoidable changes are challenging for him. I think each change sets his adjustment back a bit. So we do have screaming and plucking that I hope will abate with an eventual stable environment. The AvVet seemed to think so.

Ive been told by Too owners here that it took a month for their bird to adjust. Every time there is a change I restart the adjustment clock. I’m trying to patient with him.

He’s been through a lot of changes and he’s attached to me, as I am to him. As u know, his past is mysterious. I don’t think he understands the balance of intimacy and boundaries so were both working on that. I’m trying to ensure there is some space and he’s learning that he can’t just vacate the perch to get to Daddy. He’s smart and is learning. Dad is a lil slower.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi.

Thanks for asking.

I just finished putting together his permanent cage. Its really nice w a play top. He’s in it for the first time right now. Had to drive to the end of the earth to get it but got a crazy wholesale deal. Prob paid 1/3 retail. Has a nice branch perch (for those of u concerned about the dreaded dowels). Will prob get a rope perch.

I had to bring my mom back (who sends mango into a jelous violent rage) to help me with my broken foot. Shes been gone a couple days now. My injury required that I change the house around again. His new cage will require another rearrangement of rooms/furniture. I know all these unavoidable changes are challenging for him. I think each change sets his adjustment back a bit. So we do have screaming and plucking that I hope will abate with an eventual stable environment. The AvVet seemed to think so.

Ive been told by Too owners here that it took a month for their bird to adjust. Every time there is a change I restart the adjustment clock. I’m trying to patient with him. He’s been through a lot of changes and he’s attached to me, as I am to him.

As u know, his past is mysterious. I don’t think he understands the balance of intimacy and boundaries so were both working on that. I’m trying to ensure there is some space and he’s learning that he can’t just vacate the perch to get to Daddy. He’s smart and is learning. Dad is a lil slower.
Life is always a bit of a challenge and a juggling act with large birds lol. How is your foot healing up?

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Life is always a bit of a challenge and a juggling act with large birds lol. How is your foot healing up?
Only u guys know how incredibly challenging this is. I was maxed out just being a single father of a new Too adopted from juvenile hall and having another bird. This is next level…Mt Everest…challenging.

Foot is OK I guess. Mobility has been the biggest challenge which I’m overcoming pretty well. Tuesday, I have an appointment the orthopedist to find out if I need surgery. I hope not cuz that means my Mom has come back. Another visit from her and my jealous BF might amputate my ear.