• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I may be in trouble…

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Please dont scold me, I think I may need some help.

I bought the Citron (Mango) that I mentioned in the noise thread. The bird took to me immediately. The owner and his son were kinda shocked. When I tried to give Mango back to the son, the bird wouldn’t go to him and flew to the ground. The father whose bird it is just kind of dumped the bird on us and disappeared most for most of the time. i asked him if he’ll miss mango and he just shrugged. Mango has been stuck to me like glue since the minute we met about 5 hours ago. I’m not exaggerating.

He was living outside in a large cage kitted out appropriately. They said they brought him in and put him on perch inside for part of the evening and then return him to his cage outside for the night. I don’t think they interacted with him much. Apparently, there were a lot more birds that they recently rehomed so I don’t see how he could have gotten much attention. I asked the son why they had so many and he replied thy just like birds. Considering where they live and the living conditions, i dont how they afforded them. A citron is a huge extravagance for me. They run a swap meet. I think the business may involve selling birds.

The house was scary. Dirty, dark, with blacked out windows, pit bulls, weird sullen teenage children.

I didnt take the cage. It was rusty and dirty. I asked for his bowls and toys. When I looked in the bag when I got home there was one filthy bowl. I couldn't use it. I hand fed him a lil food that they gave me. He wouldn’t drink any water.

He screams if I put him in the cage even after I moved it into my bedroom and Im right there. He screams if I step a few feet away from him. I don’t think he is the quiet bird they said he was or there is something else going on.

Honestly I think he wanted the f out of there and latched onto the first free ride. He didn’t like being the carrier and laid in my lap looking up at me for most of the 1.5 hours home.

Right now hes on a portable perch on my nightstand. He’s making a noise rubbing his beak together. My room isn’t bird proof so I’m worried. Between that and the beak noise, I dont know how Im going to sleep tonight. Im already an insomniac

He also chews on his band and there a feathers missing on his leg. Im afraid he’ll mutilate.

Screaming (which is intolerable) aside, he a wonderful, sweet, funny very affectionate bird.

I don’t see how I can leave him for two seconds cuz of the screaming. I won’t be able to go to the gym tomorrow. I guess I’ll have to take him to the grocery store and bird store to by cups and food. I wasnt planning on taking him on outings for awlhile. Hes clipped but Im not really comfortable taking him out, he cant stay home alone and I have to go to the grocery and bird stores.

I’m really worried about the situation. If it doesn’t work out soon due to the screaming, I dont know what Ill do. I cant take him back to that hell house.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There is a good chance the screaming will not get quieter - birds are usually the most quiet they are likely to be when they first move to a new place even with a known a person so the carry on you see now is going to be a problem you will need to work on ASAP. I fear this bird will have many more behaviour or health problems than the owners told you about- that is usually the way they get rid of a problem the fastest way... lie about how sweet and quiet and easy they are to handle.

I suggest you do not start any habits with this bird such as staying right near him because he is screaming- it will only become worse especially if you are rewarding him with what he wants- they are big tantrum throwers and great manipulators.

Honestly, I hate to sound rude but it is gonna happen I am sorry, I mean everything I have said to you with the best interests of all involved (but especially the bird) at heart, I do not mean to be nasty but it will take too many words to sugar coat everything.

It was very very evident from all your comments and lack of seriousness in the other thread that you really had absolutely no clue what you were thinking you were wanting or maybe about to get your self into- this is really not a good situation for either of you nor your neighbours, cockies need someone who knows what they are doing so they do not get manipulated or cause behaviour issues that make the bird even less likely to be accepted at a future good home (remember they live a very long time and they are also one of the most commonly rehomed animals for a good reason), cockies can make even seasoned bird keepers feel overwhelmed and stressed out, they are a lot of work and if you do not know what you are doing or what to expect it can become even worse for all involved- do your self and the bird a huge favour today and decide right now that you will either move heaven and earth if needed for this bird and do whatever is needed to keep him in your home even if that means giving up your current home or other things in your life or just try to rehome him with a shelter or rescue asap before he becomes attached to you and picks up more behaviour problems than you are struggling with already and causes you serious housing, general life and stress problems.

The beak grinding is a good thing- they do it when content and relaxed.

If you are keeping him you will need a really good quality cage asap- like yesterday. You will also have to devote a lot of time straight away to learning what your bird needs (not what he wants but what he needs) and how best to supply it- asking for dowels tells many of us that you have got so much serious studying and learning to do about bird keeping.

Have a good realistic brain storm about this situation you are now in and the future hassles you may see- if you decide you are sticking with it then we will support you to learn everything you have to learn as soon as possible. It is a bigger commitment than you may realise.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Sorry but @Shezbug is 100% correct. You wanted it so bad you ignored what we warned you about to get your "dream bird". You need to read the good, the bad and the ugly, as well as other informative posts on here about them.
And get that cage ASAP.
Make sure she has lots of room and toys to avoid boredom which will lead to plucking.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Oiy.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Whatever the outcome, I understand your wanting to get this poor bird out of that situation. Whether you're able to be the home that Mango needs or you decide to find him a more appropriate home, you've already done a good thing. :)

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I appreciate the comments.

I didn’t ignore ur previous comments. In fact one of the consitent comments I rcvd was dont get the baby, which I didnt. I got a reportedly quiet adult. I asked the owner over and over about it and informed him it was a deal breaker. I wouldn’t have gotten him had I known the sellers were lying or if the bird was going to display behavior unique to me.

Regarding the doweling, it was for a temporary cage. I cant spend a grand on a cage wo a bird. I will buy him the best cage ASAP. Ive already picked it out. Money is not an object but I will hold off a bit to see if I can make this work. I also have the opportunity to go back and get his old cage. They said they would clean it up. Its only a $100 and could get me by.

For the birds sake, I think it was best that I took him. He was neglected and the owners only cared about the $. Who knows who he could have gone too since they weren't vetting buyers.

I am responsible, treat my pets like forever family and have time for them.

Moving is not an option. I just bought my first home a lil over a yr ago. I live in an area of the country where Single Fam Residences are not affordable. I had to move 2 hours away from work to get it.

I will do my very best to make it work.

I understand ur frustration. I’ve connected w a a local too rescue lady. I will ask her for support. She’s also a back-up plan for worse case scenario.

We got thru night but wo a lot of sleep. He quieted down and even let me go to the bathroom once.

I’ll take mango with me today and try to work on separtion anxiety tomorrow. Im hoping he will get better when he feels more secure and not going to be abandoned.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How has Mango been so far since you last posted?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What does report mean?
"Report" is an option at the bottom of every post to report inappropriate comments to the mods. It wasn't part of John's reply. That's why it wasn't included when you quoted his post. :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just posted. Thx for asking. Mango is doing good and is happy. However, Im very upset. Quite honestly Im in tears which is very rare for me. I wish people will be kind to me as I figure this out. It’s not like I have too friend to help.
I'm glad that he's seemed to calm down some that's definitely encouraging! It doesn't suprise me that his former owners may not have been entirely truthful about his noise level. Hopefully the longer you have him and the more he settles in and learns to trust you and that your not going to abandon him that he will tone down the screaming some.
Its a big adjustment for any birdie to go to someone new and be extra loud since they are unsure what their new lives will be like.
I'd see if he'll play with any toys that can help keep him entertained so you'll be able to leave his sight without him screaming the house down.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I'm glad that he's seemed to calm down some that's definitely encouraging! It doesn't suprise me that his former owners may not have been entirely truthful about his noise level. Hopefully the longer you have him and the more he settles in and learns to trust you and that your not going to abandon him that he will tone down the screaming some.
Its a big adjustment for any birdie to go to someone new and be extra loud since they are unsure what their new lives will be like.
I'd see if he'll play with any toys that can help keep him entertained so you'll be able to leave his sight without him screaming the house down.
Thanks.

When I walk away, I repeat “Im right here.” I was able to get into the hall.

He doesn’t like the toys the gave me. I will see if he will pick out some others. He likes to chew fabric and got my pants already.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks.

When I walk away, I repeat “Im right here.” I was able to get into the hall.

He doesn’t like the toys the gave me. I will see if he will pick out some others. He likes to chew fabric and got my pants already.
That's great! I'd try some toys from Seriously Nutz Sarah has Cockatoos and Macaws and she knows what they like. I've gotten so many toys from her for my Conures and they have all been smash hits.
If nothing else start out easy like soft woods Balsa,thin pine ect so it's nice and easy for him to destroy so he gets the excitement of it crumbling to splinters and then eventually move onto harder longer lasting woods the more he gets into toy playing.
If you can I'd invest into a full sized Java tree it's made of extremely tough wood and can be very branchy and expansive to have lots of areas to keep him entertained with toys and places to climb. The more exercise and ways to burn off the excess energy the better.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi, congrats on your new addition. As scary as it is at the moment, I’m sure in some ways still exciting. From following your threads, I’m sure no one here thinks you are an animal abuser, so ignore the report button. :)

until you can get mango some toys, maybe some wooden spoons or the likes to keep him occupied or vent his frustration, even a dog ball might help as he can chew on it, etc…I would also suggest a vet appointment to start getting a base of his health along with weight and a rapport with a vet. The rescue should be able to recommend one if you don’t have one already.

wishing you all the best and thanks for at least getting him out of that horrible place. :heart:

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
That's great! I'd try some toys from Seriously Nutz Sarah has Cockatoos and Macaws and she knows what they like. I've gotten so many toys from her for my Conures and they have all been smash hits.
If nothing else start out easy like soft woods Balsa,thin pine ect so it's nice and easy for him to destroy so he gets the excitement of it crumbling to splinters and then eventually move onto harder longer lasting woods the more he gets into toy playing.
If you can I'd invest into a full sized Java tree it's made of extremely tough wood and can be very branchy and expansive to have lots of areas to keep him entertained with toys and places to climb. The more exercise and ways to burn off the excess energy the better.
I heard they like balsa and will try get some today. Thx

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
cockatoos like my quakers are re homes for screaming in huge numbers. Tho toos beat my quakers hands down.

I do think you can make progress and see reduction in screaming. But what you are left with may still be more than you and neighbors can tolerate.

It's takes much like what's already been mentioned, a whole bird and environment make over. That's where I start with screamers before direct behavior modification. A great and healthy diet, a great cage, lots of perch size, filled with different hardness chew stuff and a mix of toys in the noise maker, foot toys, manipulation toys, foraging toys. Several out of cage hang out spots. And a health exam by veterinarian.

Then for me its all about preventing screaming sessions from getting started as much as possible, knowing triggers. I've found ignoring screaming does nothing to stop it. So I interrupt, and redirect as soon as it starts. Lots and lots of praise when quiet . And I've had to build off quit times of mere miniuts and create habits of quiet.

There can be some success with pairing with soothing music. You start out by playing soft soothing music in the evening as tgey go to sleep, and when they nap. After that pattern is established, you can play the music to induce calm at other times with some success.

Someplace I've really given detailed screaming help advice. Maybe I can find that post and link.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Hi, congrats on your new addition. As scary as it is at the moment, I’m sure in some ways still exciting. From following your threads, I’m sure no one here thinks you are an animal abuser, so ignore the report button. :)

until you can get mango some toys, maybe some wooden spoons or the likes to keep him occupied or vent his frustration, even a dog ball might help as he can chew on it, etc…I would also suggest a vet appointment to start getting a base of his health along with weight and a rapport with a vet. The rescue should be able to recommend one if you don’t have one already.

wishing you all the best and thanks for at least getting him out of that horrible place. :heart:
Thx. Will try to get him to an AV soon. Would like to get him chipped too.

The owner said he takes him to the vet to get clipped and and bathed. I asked for receipts and any paperwork on the bird. He replied he didn’t rcv any which was and obvious lie. Who doesn’t keep a vet file on their pet?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I heard they like balsa and will try get some today. Thx
Oh! I forgot to mention my neighbor had 3 Toos back in Florida and they each had their own playstand with lots to do but! They also had plenty of hanging orbs,ropes and ladders! Her M2 absolutely loved to flap his wings as fast as he could while screaming to spin the ladder as fast as it could go than hang on with his crest flared as it would spin super fast. He was an absolute riot and I got a huge kick outta watching him especially play around and live life to the fullest.