• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I think I gave my budgie alittle more antibiotics than he needed

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
My budgie has been feeling sick for a few days so I took him to the vet and they gave us antibiotics. The first time went well. The second time he was moving around so much most of it dripped on his feathers ( I’m not sure if he got any in him maybe he did) and so I wanted to make sure he got all of it so I gave him more. Now I’m scared that I over did it. Will he be ok. I’m not sure what kind of antibiotics it is. I’m so worried.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did you give a full dose the second time or a smaller dose? Have you called your vet back to ask them what they think?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You need to get all the details together and call your vet. Also, for the future, always, always know what the name of the antibiotic is that you are giving your bird. If you can't reach your vet then you can look up information on the internet. We don't know a bit more than you do without more information.

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
I’m not even sure what he actually got from the first time. The vet is closed until Monday. He is doing well today, and the dropping look normal. Im wondering how long does it usually take to see some difference after starting antibiotics.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I over did Nerd bird because the dose was labeled wrong and they told me that whatever it was would just cause diarrhea and he didn't get sny worse. It really depends on what they gave him but if he's doing OK now he's probably fine.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I would hope the antibiotic name would be on the bill or on the RX. Too little won;t have much affect but some antibiotics are hard on the system so too much is to be avoided.

Try to give them as prescribed & monitor for any reactions.

Hopefully they will be OK & its a good sign they are doing well.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Think you'll be ok...just get back to the regular dose next time..the name of the antibiotic and the dosage should be on the bottle and the invoice. :hug8:

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
Yeah, he is actually doing well, he started singing today which is amazing( he hasn’t done that much in the passed week) , I have been watching him like a hawk to make sure he is ok. I am alittle worried that his friend ( our other budgie) will get what he has. if that happens I’ll just have to take him to the vet too, but he has been sick for a week and the other budgie seems very active and happy so hopefully it will all be ok. I love them so much, I would do anything for them. Thank you guys for the help.

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
I had one more question, tomorrow will be the third day he is on antibiotics, I can already see alittle bit of improvement. My husband usually holds him while I give him the medicine, and it’s once every 12 hours. on Monday he has to go to work, he will miss his morning dose, I don’t think I can give it to him alone. Would it be ok to change the timing of the antibiotics and stick to it.
Thanks again you guys for all the help.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Better to change the time of dosing than to miss it altogether. You want to keep to the times chosen for dosage as closely as possible to the time you started with but if you have to give the morning dose a bit earlier then just make the night dose 12 hrs after and then stick to them new times for dosing.
So if you were dosing 9am and 9pm then you need to alter it to say 7am and 7pm then just try to stick to the new dose times.