• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I found Walter's dream cage

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I found this King's cage. Kings flight cage. I want to find out more information and/or if anyone has any experience with this cage. It would be for an African Gray who has special needs. Due to his limited grip, the vet recommends that his cage not be too tall (fall risk). Also because he spends most of his time playing on the bottom of his cage, I need to be able to pull out the grate floor or add a pan that I can line with paper towels. So does anyone know if the grates easily pull out and if the spaces are safe if Walter is playing in the catch trays. Of course I would not use any of the perches that came with it and other than as foraging, the cups would not likely be uses (so can they be pulled out with the door to them safely latched). It will likely be a while before I purchase as I would need to save up for this. His current cage is about 1/2 the length of this cage and of similar width. I have it divided into top and bottom which he rotates between but I have to move him from each level as there is no opening between the two levels.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The grate should slide out just fine, and the gap left behind is only a little larger than the bar spacing so nothing dangerous. Similar size to my Rainforest Montana, but there are some subtle difference. Just about the only drawback is the door size,, very difficult to reach in and clean. But I do like the cage now I'm used to it.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
The grate should slide out just fine, and the gap left behind is only a little larger than the bar spacing so nothing dangerous. Similar size to my Rainforest Montana, but there are some subtle difference. Just about the only drawback is the door size,, very difficult to reach in and clean. But I do like the cage now I'm used to it.
Thank you so very much for the insight. I will keep that in mind. Is the door just small or is it just too high to make cleaning the bottom easier? With Walter I end up cleaning the bottom of the cage 2-3 times a day. I can slide out the poop trays but it is easier to just work through the door, as a lot of Walter's toys are also at the bottom.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is the door just small or is it just too high to make cleaning the bottom easier?
I struggle to reach into the corners for cleaning because I can't get in. If you can get your head and one arm in it's fine, but I don't fit. You can use a brush with a handle to scrub then wrap a cloth round the end to mop up.
If Walter is obliging you could slide the grate in so you can remove the tray for cleaning(?).

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I struggle to reach into the corners for cleaning because I can't get in. If you can get your head and one arm in it's fine, but I don't fit. You can use a brush with a handle to scrub then wrap a cloth round the end to mop up.
If Walter is obliging you could slide the grate in so you can remove the tray for cleaning(?).
Great information. Walter is very accommodating with his cleaning, so long as I provide frequent head skritches. I could easily pull out each tray to get to the corners. Thanks so much for the information. I think this is going on my Christmas list.....

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Great information. Walter is very accommodating with his cleaning, so long as I provide frequent head skritches. I could easily pull out each tray to get to the corners. Thanks so much for the information. I think this is going on my Christmas list.....

Just curious if the bars will be ok for Walter. It says it is designed for small birds (mentions canaries, finches, parakeets, cockatiels and conures) so I would worry about Walter being able to break the bar welds or bend them.

Last edited:

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Just curious if the bars will be ok for Walter. It says it is designed for small birds (mentions canaries, finches, parakeets, cockatiels and conures) so I would worry about Walter being able to break the bar welds or bend them.
I was kind of wondering that too but at that price it ought to be well made. Walter has never been highly destructive overall. He prefers his wood to be 1/4 inch or less and overall has not been hard on his cages in the past. I would think if it is okay for a conure it may be fine. Thank you for helping me think of all the "cons". I wish I could find it in a store somewhere so I could actually see and touch it.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Mine is similar but definitely there are some differences. Like my bars are horizontal. So I don’t know if my insight will help. But I would worry about the bar spacing. And definitely if the bars are strong enough for a grey. If it would be me I wouldn’t recommend it. Great cage for the smaller ones. But I would shop a little more if I were you

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Mine is similar but definitely there are some differences. Like my bars are horizontal. So I don’t know if my insight will help. But I would worry about the bar spacing. And definitely if the bars are strong enough for a grey. If it would be me I wouldn’t recommend it. Great cage for the smaller ones. But I would shop a little more if I were you
Thank you so much for your insight. I am still on the fence about it.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
The problem I am having is that Walter needs length but not height and all of the big cages have more height than length. He does do well with his current set up other than he only has access to 1/2 of it at a time because there is no opening between the two levels. Right now the floor for the second level is basically the floor grate that I lifted up. If I could figure out a floor system that would allow an opening, then I could use flat perches to provide him with stairs to the second level. I could theoretically cut a whole in the grate but since this cage is no longer being made then I cannot replace the grate again. Thanks to everyone for ideas, pros and cons etc. It really helps me make an informed decision in what is best for Walter.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
The problem I am having is that Walter needs length but not height and all of the big cages have more height than length. He does do well with his current set up other than he only has access to 1/2 of it at a time because there is no opening between the two levels. Right now the floor for the second level is basically the floor grate that I lifted up. If I could figure out a floor system that would allow an opening, then I could use flat perches to provide him with stairs to the second level. I could theoretically cut a whole in the grate but since this cage is no longer being made then I cannot replace the grate again. Thanks to everyone for ideas, pros and cons etc. It really helps me make an informed decision in what is best for Walter.
have you got a picture of his cage now maybe it would help to give u ideas how to use all the cage

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Could you not put a smallish (enough for your bird to comfortably get through ) square hole in middle or side of grate and a ladder going from bottom to top then if you ever wanted to close it maybe a square piece of wooden drill hole in four corners then zip tied to grate to close hole ?
That is an idea. I also thought about using dowel rods under the pan to create a floor, then I could basically make three levels alternating..... hmmmmmm

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
That is an idea. I also thought about using dowel rods under the pan to create a floor, then I could basically make three levels alternating..... hmmmmmm
that could work too and gives a use for them silly dowel rods