• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Think I Found a Pionus

binesi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bonnie S
I'm trying not to get too excited, but I think I found a Pionus. I have a deposit on a baby White Cap.

A few months ago I joined the forum because I had an opportunity to adopt a Maxi. I explained that the Pionus is my dream bird, I've wanted one for many years, and now that I'm in a position to provide a good home for one, they have become rare and difficult to find. The rescue fell through - I'm not even sure it was legit - and then I found myself *almost* falling victim to two other online scams. I contacted all the breeders known to have had Pionus at one time in this country (Canada) and ran into wall after wall. I was told many times by many breeders that NO ONE is breeding Pionus here except for the occasional Blue Head but really no guarantee on finding one of those either as the gene pool is very very small and people just are not working with them anymore. Weeks later, I did find a baby Blue Head advertised on an online classified ad, but in the 2 minutes it took for me to reply back to the person selling it, it sold to someone else. I told her to keep me in mind if she gets more, but really, I gave up.

Fast forward to now, there was an ad posted on the same online classified ad board, I reached out, the ad disappeared, then reappeared, then disappeared again, and then out of the blue, someone responded to me and it was a a known breeder I had reached out to before. She told me she didn't have any Pionus, but a "friend of a friend" did. I contacted the friend and she told me she had ONE baby left. I recognized the person's name as a respected member of our local parrot club. I put down a deposit. I *think* I'm getting my baby Pionus - communication has been minimal, but I understand she must be very busy caring for the babies. After so many disappointments though, it's hard not to be paranoid and I don't think I'll be excited until I actually have the bird in my hand. I cannot believe how tough it is to find a Pionus when they are, hands down, the best birds ever.

Joyce

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joyce
I hope your dream comes true and you will be very happy with your new baby!

binesi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bonnie S
I hope your dream comes true and you will be very happy with your new baby!
Thank you! I will definitely update the thread IF / WHEN the bird arrives.