• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I think Dende is sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
On Christmas Eve I noticed that Dende was sneezing a bit more than usual. He's a lorikeet so he does sneeze more than the average parrot, but on that day he was sneezing just a little more than that.

So I kept an eye on him but he was still playful and eating.

On Christmas he looked fine and the sneezing was back to normal.

Yesterday (Saturday) after I finished work he just didn't look quite right. I don't know how to describe it... I just had the feeling that he was slightly subdued when he had his playtime outside of his cage.

Well, today (Sunday) I came home from volunteering and he had very strange poop in his cage! :( He usually has pretty watery poop with lots of urine, a small amount of actual fecal material and then also the urates. Normal for lorikeets. But today it is a funny beige colour and very thick! It looks like handrearing formula! No urates and no urine.

He didn't have anything unusual to eat today. Just his normal food.

He is also not playing with his toys and is a little fluffed up. I can see he isn't feeling well. :( He is still eating though.

My avian vet is closed on Sundays and will also be closed tomorrow because it is a public holiday! :( I will definitely take Dende in first thing on Tuesday.

Right now Dende is being kept warm. Any other suggestions?

I don't want to lose the little guy. I'm freaking out! He's my baby. :( He's also been in contact with Clopin and Beanie. So I'm very worried.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh no, I hope he feels better soon. :(

What about putting ACV in his water? I heard that stuff works wonders. Keeping him warm and hydrated is the best thing to do for now until you can get him to the Vets.

Keep us updated, hope it's nothing serious either!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending positive thoughts to Dende!:hug8:

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I find public holidays to be a jinx on birds health. Do you take your fids to see Sandy Hume?

I think keeping him warm and hydrated are the most important things to do until you can see a vet. I really hope he starts feeling better soon.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8:I cannot offer any better advice then what the others have said(warm and Hydrated)But I do want You to know that I'm sending Healing Thoughts and Prayers that Dende will be OK:hug8:

southernbirds

Would your Avian Vet still take emergency phone calls? Maybe he/she can give you some advice over the phone?

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Oh no, I'm sorry he isn't feeling well. I hope it's nothing serious. I have a sick one too and can't see the vet again until Tuesday. It seems like forever when they're sick.

Saying a prayer for Dende.

I find public holidays to be a jinx on birds health.
I agree. It could only happen when a town shuts down for days on end.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Oh no, I hope he feels better soon. :(

What about putting ACV in his water? I heard that stuff works wonders. Keeping him warm and hydrated is the best thing to do for now until you can get him to the Vets.

Keep us updated, hope it's nothing serious either!
Thanks, I did put ACV in his water this morning. I usually put it in their water every second day.

He's still eating and drinking so he must be hydrated. He's also cuddling up close to the heat lamp. He was not happy with me when I just changed his food and water this morning without taking him out of the cage for his usual time on my shoulder. I don't want him flying around and using up energy though.

Sending positive thoughts to Dende!:hug8:
Thank you!

I find public holidays to be a jinx on birds health. Do you take your fids to see Sandy Hume?

I think keeping him warm and hydrated are the most important things to do until you can see a vet. I really hope he starts feeling better soon.
I take them to Dr. Melinda Cowan at Brisbane Bird and Exotics Vet. She is the best vet I've ever met. :) She and her partner (Dr. Deborah Monks) saved my birdies on a number of occasions.

In true lorikeet fashion, he took a bath this morning. So he must be feeling slightly better. Then again, lorikeets have been known in winter to crack the ice in their water cups so that they can have a bath.

I'm very glad he made it through the night. My partner will take him to the vet first thing tomorrow as I'm unfortunately working.

:hug8:I cannot offer any better advice then what the others have said(warm and Hydrated)But I do want You to know that I'm sending Healing Thoughts and Prayers that Dende will be OK:hug8:
Thank you so much!

How is Dende now? do so hope he is showing signs of improvement. Good luck.:hug8:
He is doing ok. He was very frustrated when I tried to put him in a smaller cage so that he can rest. So I ended up just putting him back in his normal cage with the heat lamp close by.

Thank you!

Would your Avian Vet still take emergency phone calls? Maybe he/she can give you some advice over the phone?
There is no-one at the surgery to answer the phone. :( Thank you for the suggestion though.

Oh no, I'm sorry he isn't feeling well. I hope it's nothing serious. I have a sick one too and can't see the vet again until Tuesday. It seems like forever when they're sick.

Saying a prayer for Dende.

I agree. It could only happen when a town shuts down for days on end.
Thank you! I hope your little one feels better soon too!

Status
Not open for further replies.