• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I think Chewy's going to lay an egg?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If she doesn't sit the egg tomorrow, take out the basket and the egg. Now normally breeding birds will lay everyother day, so keep an eye on her over the next couple of eggs. Make sure you are giving her lots of darg green leafy food and other forms of calcium.
If she sits the egg, just let her sit for about 26-30 days then pull the egg and basket.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I wouldn't put the egg in a basket. Just put it on top of some clean paper in the open. They won't usually take interest in sitting on them until all eggs are layed of which 3 is pretty common. They don't start incubating until all eggs are layed so that the process starts at the same time for all of them so they will all hatch at about the same time.

It can take as long as 4 or 5 days between eggs if there are going to be more. So I would leave it in the cage for at least a week to see if she's done. Some birds don't have any idea what to do with eggs.

You could lightly hard boil the egg to make it tougher so it will last without breaking if she gets rough with it or you could get some fake eggs that are indestructible. If they egg gets cracked it will deteriorate quickly and start to smell. If she does take interest in it soon and it needs to be taken away because of damage she may try to replace it so it's a good idea to have some fakes on hand. Normally they incubate eggs for up to 30 days if they are going to do it so eggs should not be taken away until the bird abandons them on their own.

Here's some links.

The Hens Reproductive Activity / Egg Binding

The Incredible Female Bird Reproductive System

Female Bird Reproductive System

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
I wouldn't put the egg in a basket. Just put it on top of some clean paper in the open. They won't usually take interest in sitting on them until all eggs are layed of which 3 is pretty common. They don't start incubating until all eggs are layed so that the process starts at the same time for all of them so they will all hatch at about the same time.

That is so true!! After the first couple Kessie seemed to abandon them. Now that she's layed the 5th, she's been non-stop sitting all day except for a quick trip up to the door of the cage to see where Sherbert was (him and Pepper were out flying around) Once she spotted him, she went right back to nest.
Poor girl, I think she'd actually make a good mom if she had the proper mate...lol Even Sherbert has been super supportive and feeding her and I even caught him sitting on the eggs twice today while Kessie was out getting a drink.
It's almost too bad there won't be any babies... almost :lol:

ThatDarnBird

Also if you want to switch the egg with a fake egg you can make them from white Polymer clay that you bake in the oven. BF told me how to do it when I was in a panic because the plastic eggs I had purchased fell down a black hole at the post office.:rolleyes: My tiel is currently sitting on her fake clay eggs and she's been perfectly satisfied with them.

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Oy! I would be a nervous wreck if one of my birds laid an egg. Glad she passed it ok!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awww poor girlie lol....i would actually take the wicker basket out in case she is afraid of it and put a paper towel down there under the eggie....leave it..she may not be interested in it for a few days but leave it...yes, I know how you feel..when Sam laid her first egg I was a mess...

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
I would definately hake the egg harder or swap it for a fake, El got a little rough sitting on his eggies from Abby and the one that I had not gotten to swap out from piranha boy got cracked all over his chest.

I know how fun it was to clean that off him and he is tiny, can not imagine trying it with a bigger egg mess on a bigger bird!

I am glad she laid it OK, be thankful she didn't do it from higher like Abby did with her last egg....from the top of the blinds. Eww.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am glad she is ok...gosh I hope Nani doesn't lay eggs. I've had enough of that with Kiwi!

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan

It can take as long as 4 or 5 days between eggs if there are going to be more. So I would leave it in the cage for at least a week to see if she's done. Some birds don't have any idea what to do with eggs.

You could lightly hard boil the egg to make it tougher so it will last without breaking if she gets rough with it or you could get some fake eggs that are indestructible. If they egg gets cracked it will deteriorate quickly and start to smell. If she does take interest in it soon and it needs to be taken away because of damage she may try to replace it so it's a good idea to have some fakes on hand. Normally they incubate eggs for up to 30 days if they are going to do it so eggs should not be taken away until the bird abandons them on their own.

Here's some links.

The Hens Reproductive Activity / Egg Binding

The Incredible Female Bird Reproductive System

Female Bird Reproductive System
Thanks so much, John! I think we sell fake eggs at the bird store, I'll have to check. I'll take the egg out of the basket too. So far she hasn't shown any interest in it.

Thanks everyone for the info and advice!:hug8:

She was back to normal this morning, I just didn't have a chance to get on the computer until now.

We just got an adorable male umbrella 'too surrendered to the bird store today - it made me want to come right home and cuddle Chewy:heart:

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
I dont have any experience either with Too's laying eggs

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am so glad she is okay. I couldn't imagine watching them :(

Bea will sit on her eggs for 3 months. She just gave up on one that was laid in October.
Holy cow!! That's a lonnnnnnnng time.

Status
Not open for further replies.