• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I think Chewy's going to lay an egg?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
:omg:

Okay, I'm trying to stay calm here. Smudgie is the only fid of mine that has laid eggs before, and that was in a nestbox so I never saw how she acted.

Anyway, I noticed her trying to have a poo and nothing was happening -- several times within a couple minutes. I checked her vent and it looks kinda swollen and like there's an egg in there. I've only seen 'egg-butts' in small birds and it's really visible. I see a bit of a swell on Chewy, but not really prominent like the little guys.

She's also quite unsettled and ran right under my blanket and is acting like she's looking for the perfect spot.

I'm fairly certain this is her about to lay an egg, but I'm worried! How do cockatoos usually act when egg-laying?

And how long does it usually take?

Okay, I need to breathe lol.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Megan I don't know anything about cockatoos. Hope it goes smoothly :)

ThatDarnBird

I don't know about 'too's but my tiel was messing around all day before she laid her egg, she wasn't straining like she was trying to poop though.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
I have no experience with TOOs laying eggs, just lovies. Give her a box or a blanket she can sit on?? I would give Sunkist a small bowl with warm water to sit in for a little bit. That always helped her. She would go in wet her butt and come back out. Good luck!

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
She just passed it -- on top of Kermit's cage while I held a towel under her and kept her calm. I think I'm going to faint. *faints*

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
oh thank goodness!!:hug8::heart:

ThatDarnBird

She just passed it -- on top of Kermit's cage while I held a towel under her and kept her calm. I think I'm going to faint. *faints*
That's how I felt when my tiel laid an egg, I was a wreck. I hope everything is ok now.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
How is she doing now?
:omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:
I can't believe it!!! Is she ok? Are you ok?
wondering if you two are ok??
That's how I felt when my tiel laid an egg, I was a wreck. I hope everything is ok now.
Well I'm still conscious, so that's a good thing lol.

Chewy is totally worn out and tired and we are cuddling now. I think she's okay, but I'll be worrying until she's back to normal.

What should I do with the egg though? Chewy doesn't spend much time at the bottom of her cage, but I guess I could put it there and see what happens? I don't even know if she'll incubate it. For all I know, this could be her first ever egg -- we don't know how old she is, but she's estimated to be about 12ish.

ThatDarnBird

I would put the egg in her cage and see what happens. :hug8: Glad you guys are ok!

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I put the egg in a big wicker basket in the bottom of her cage. She didn't seem interested in it, but we'll see what tomorrow brings. They've been sleeping (lights off) for about an hour now. She was talking to me and acting more herself before bedtime:)

That was scary!

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Did you not see my posts when Kessie layed her first? :rofl: I'm old hat now that she has 5!
Glad to hear you both are doing better. Seems to be a lot of egg laying going on lately, what with Kessie, BF's bird, your bird.. sheesh! You'd think it was spring! :rofl:

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Tanya, no I didn't see your post! I'll go look for it!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I put the egg in a big wicker basket in the bottom of her cage. She didn't seem interested in it, but we'll see what tomorrow brings. They've been sleeping (lights off) for about an hour now. She was talking to me and acting more herself before bedtime:)

That was scary!
:omg: how worried you must've been!!! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.