• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I think Addie is hurt

Syl

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Hi everyone! So, today Addie wriggled out of the cage between my fingers when I was changing her food, and she proceeded to fly around the house a lot, chirping happily. As usual when she does this (little escape artist! I swear, wherever their heads fit, their whole entire body does, too XD) I tried luring her back in the cage with some millet. However, it didn't work this time, and I tried several times to do this before giving up on this. Of course, because of this, I had to kind of manhandle her to get her back into the cage.

I've had to do this before, but this time, when she landed into the cage and flew onto her top perch, she fluffed up immediately, but her feathers didn't go back down, and she's still fluffed up. Her beak is clicking a lot too but you can't hear beak grinding noises and now she's making these little whimpering noises. I know usually these things mean that they're content, but I'm super worried that something bad happened to her, that maybe she broke a bone or something or that I hurt her when I grabbed her. She usually chirps a lot and she hasn't chirped once since I grabbed her... I'm worried that something happened. Please help!!

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You need to watch her closely for a few hours to see if she gets better. She is a young bird and may just be put out and scared because you handled her. If she doesn't improve, put her in a hospital cage and keep her warm and hydrated until you can get her to the vet.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Of course, because of this, I had to kind of manhandle her to get her back into the cage.
Perhaps if you give her regular out of cage time this wouldn't happen. If they have freedom they also learn to enjoy their cage and will go back in again on their own because they will no longer see the cage as a prison.
I'm worried that something happened. Please help!!
I have no idea in what way you think we can help you with that?
We can't give you paranormal avian vet care. If you are worried, and see a behavior that isn't normal, don't waste time to post a thread, take her to the vet.
And better going to many times then to few.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow. We don't even know this person and we're jumping all over her?

@Syl Birds sometimes will sit fluffed up like that when they're very stressed. But if she shows any other symptoms or doesn't perk up soon, then I would have her seen by a vet.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She's worried and upset about her bird
Then you take the bird to a vet and don't waste time here.
Eloy, that was a little harsh
No it was not. It was my sincere advice, and if you don't like it just pretend you didn't see it. But don't say it was something it wasn't.
I didn't say that the other post was to lame did I?
Respect that we don't feel the same about when it's time to go to vet and when it's time to wasting time on the internet.
I'm super worried that something bad happened to her, that maybe she broke a bone or something or that I hurt her when I grabbed her. She usually chirps a lot and she hasn't chirped once since I grabbed her... I'm worried that something happened. Please help!!
So in what way do you think we can help her here?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Then you take the bird to a vet and don't waste time here.
It can absolutely be worse for a bird to take them to the vet needlessly, particularly if stress is the problem in the first place.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi Syl. Can you post a picture? Or a video?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
particularly if stress is the problem in the first place.
But not if we are talking about pressure to sternum. And that was the concern that TS had.

But yeah, pick on me! I'm just stupid that are giving advice to take a bird to the vet.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Eloy Are we talking about pressure to the sternum? I don't see any description that suggests that. I also don't understand your need to jump to personalizing things. Disagreeing with your tone or your advice is not picking on you. We know nothing about how this bird is typically cared for.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Really folks, com'on, if we say to take the vet somebody get ripped on, if say watch the bird carefully, somebody else gets ripped on. We all are better then this.
@Syl observe the bird carefully, look for the extreme signs of distress, panting, lack of balance, seizures, shock, weakness. If you see any of the above, get to the nearest ER vet. If you are unsure of those above named signs get to the vet.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Any updates on how Addie is doing @Syl? Hopefully she got a big fright from the little wrestle you had with her and all is ok with her physically.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How’s she doing today? I hope she’s okay!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@Syl
I am sorry Addie is hurt. Hope she is better today.
If not, please consider taking her to a vet who has experience with birds.
Please let us know if you need help finding one. Perhaps someone can make a suggestion.

Last edited:

Syl

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
You need to watch her closely for a few hours to see if she gets better. She is a young bird and may just be put out and scared because you handled her. If she doesn't improve, put her in a hospital cage and keep her warm and hydrated until you can get her to the vet.
She's gotten better, she got better the morning after.

Perhaps if you give her regular out of cage time this wouldn't happen. If they have freedom they also learn to enjoy their cage and will go back in again on their own because they will no longer see the cage as a prison.

I have no idea in what way you think we can help you with that?
We can't give you paranormal avian vet care. If you are worried, and see a behavior that isn't normal, don't waste time to post a thread, take her to the vet.
And better going to many times then to few.
1. I don't have a vet. I'm new to this... remember?
2. I do regularly take her into the bathroom. I can't let her out usually in the main area of my house, as it is a two story open area that has large, wide, airy openings into other rooms such as the music room and the kitchen, as well as the second floor. It would be dangerous to let her out.
3. I was hoping that some of you may have experienced this kind of thing before and that you would know that it was fine. There wasn't any information on the internet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks for the update. It sounds like she was just super stressed. So now you know, in case she ever does it again.

How are things going with her otherwise?

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
I'm sorry not to be able to help diagnose what could be the problem with your bird if there is a problem. But it is important for you to have a relationship with a certified avian vet so in the event you need to see one, you know where to go. Look on the aav.org website to find an avian vet in your area. I am a great proponant of seeing my vet if there is anything that is not right with my birds. They get annual avian wellbird checkups, includes bloodwork, cultures, etc.

At the risk of being crucified here for suggesting this, you might want to think about having your bird's wings clipped. Do your own research and decide for yourself. IMO, I would rather have my birds with clipped wings have alot of out of cage time rather than fully flighted and mostly caged.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
How about a light clip, if you do one? Dont let someone just hack the wings off. There are ways to clip so that they can still glide to a landing.

I have one whose wings are butchered. He constantly lands on the floor THUNK! I’m always afraid he will break a leg or something. THUNK! THUNK!