• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I squished my baby canary WHAT DO I DO??

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
What was he doing out at 2am?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Okay thank you for helping me and giving me advice Ali but do you know how to feed a baby bird, if so can you help me out? please and thank you
Please do not attempt to force food into this birds mouth.
For a start it is not a normal hour for them to be awake and eating do please do as suggested by enigma and put it somewhere warm dark and quiet to rest.

Canarymoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
bird
He does have a cage but I wanted my other canary to meet him

Reactions: Ali

Canarymoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
bird
okay, thank you very much to all who helped me.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You need to do what is best for your canaries, they are loving beings that you are responsible for...... cage them when it’s sleep time or you are not directly interacting with them and allow them to sleep at reasonable hours that birds in the wild would be sleeping through. The time you say that you had this incident happen should have been a quiet sleep time for your birds best health and happiness.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Please get yourself some rest then update us when it is your day time.... we will all be concerned for your bird and wondering how it is.

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
Jusi in case you need it in the future (hopefully not), the 911 thread is where you can post on here during a health emergency with one of your birds so people may reply faster, here's a link to that thread: Bird Emergency Highway 911 Hope your little canary gets better/is ok! :)

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You have a lot of good helpful replies on your other thread so for now just leave your bird to rest in a nice quiet place that is safe (its cage is a good spot if it can perch ok) and please do come back and update us tomorrow when you and your birds have had some sleep. You should not be force feeding him especially at 3am. If he is new to your home then he will likely be stressed and trying to learn what is what at your home (his new home). I am not certain but I was of the belief that canaries weaned at around a month old??

@finchly can give you some great advice for caring for tiny birds.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Canaries do not wean until about 6 weeks so I am surprised your dad gave it to you early. They often look like they’re eating, but they’re ‘learning to eat’ and still need parental care. So, one thing you need to do is soak your seed or millet (not all - some of it) to make it easier for your baby to eat. Also look on this forum about making chop, you can use vegetables and chop them really fine. Consider adding boiled egg too. If you have pellet food, that can be soaked in water or apple juice.

Canaries only eat about 1/2 tsp total per day, so it would be easy to overdo the food. Offer each of the things I mentioned separately, and remove fresh food or soaked food after 2 hours to avoid bacteria or mold growth.

Do NOT ever force feed the baby. When they eat normally, the body closes off the airway ... when you put food in while they’re not begging the food can be aspirated and your baby could die.

I would not be in favor of the mashed banana, as canaries can get yeast and feeding banana could encourage yeast growth.

I’m waiting to hear how your baby is today. Just keep him warm by using a small light over the cage or a heating pad under the cage. If a bulb, I like a ceramic heat bulb and I put it on one end, so they can move away from it if they’re getting too warm.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor little bird, how is he doing now?