• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I saved a gecko (warning may disturb some members...)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
This poor little guy, s/he was being chased by my cat, she had it in her mouth, i quickly got it from her, WHEN i picked it up, it was panicked at first, but then it seemed to feel safe in my hands. S/he seems fairly okay, other than a red eye, a missing tail, and some scratches. I set it outside, hopefully it will be okay. I don't know how to do any medical on a gecko, and I think he will make it, just may need a bit of time to recover (mostly from the fear) s/he is kind of cute though if you ask me :)
upload_2019-5-18_21-39-56.png
upload_2019-5-18_21-40-8.png

(photos aren't the best, i know, I tried to take them quickly so that I could get him somewhere safe)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for rescuing the gecko. May need some antibiotic, both oral and topical due to wounds and cat saliva.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
He is really cute! I can't stand watching the cats eat a gecko, I save them whenever i can, but usually they find them in the night and it's too late :(

May need some antibiotic, both oral and topical due to wounds and cat saliva.
Unfortunately, when i put him/her outside, s/he ran away. If i see him/her again, I will take it inside, and treat the the wounds. Luckily their was no noticeable blood on the scratches, I don't think she broke the skin. Other than above the eye. Do you think it will recover on its own? Milky (our cat) she just gently carried it, then the gecko wiggled out, I don't think she used her teeth (weirdly)

Last edited:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The blue on his back is what i think the scratches are.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cute little guy.

They drop their tails as a defense mechanism.
When I find them in my house I try to be very careful getting them outside because I don´t want to scare them and lose their tail.
In my last house I would leave them inside as I didn´t have the birds and I don´t mind them. They´re cute and eat the bugs :)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Cute little guy.

They drop their tails as a defense mechanism.
When I find them in my house I try to be very careful getting them outside because I don´t want to scare them and lose their tail.
In my last house I would leave them inside as I didn´t have the birds and I don´t mind them. They´re cute and eat the bugs :)
I agree! I love seeing these little friends around! But my cats are nasty when it comes to small creatures! So i save as much as I can, but the cockroaches, I'm sorry guys, there a little much for me lol

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thank you for saving him. Yes, I think he will be fine, geckos are hardy little animals. You did right by placing him back outside, animals are more likely to die of shock than from a wound.

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
If you ever find a wild reptile again that’s injured you can usually take them to a wildlife rehab center and they will treat them (at least in the states). If it’s a snake you’d have to call around to be sure they will treat because even with places like that the prejudice against them can be strong. A pillowcase works for transporting reptiles. Hopefully none of the bacteria from the cat got in the wound if not then he should be fine!

Found a black racer tangled up in netting last month. My local center tried to save him but the more they cleaned him up the more they realized that he had basically rotted on the inside there were so many maggots. Unfortunately this happens all the time with black racers getting caught in farming netting.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I would have, but people eat these little guys around here. There is rehabs for animals but only the large ones. They don't mean much to the people around here, neither do most small animals, it's quite sad actually. That's too bad about that snake, but I guess these things happen :(

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
I used to try and save any baby rabbits from my cat because I couldn't stand to see them harmed (he was indoor/outdoor and hunted a lot). But with other small animals I just learned to accept I couldn't save them all. Cats are not fully domesticated and hunting is their natural behavior, especially feral ones, who depend on hunting to survive. I like geckos though. I think they're cute, so I can understand that it's hard to stand idly by. Luckily we didn't have any in my area for my cat to kill.